I think that Scotland Yard or the FBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that Scotland Yard or the FBI

should be called in. I have no confidence in the Fraud Squad.

Criminal probe urged
    Light bulb saga explodes with contractor general's report
    Balford Henry, Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008

SPENCER... had responsibilty for the project

Contractor-General Greg Christie says that there is evidence suggesting "a very strong inference of an unlawful criminal conspiracy and corruption" in the award of contracts for the installation of free Cuban light bulbs under the controversial 4m Project initiated by the previous Government.

The contractor-general based his assertion on what he described as "very serious and far-reaching allegations" made against former minister of state for industry, technology, energy and commerce, Kern Spencer, by two drivers employed to the project.

He said, however, that after declaring the statements to be "truthful, accurate and complete", both men "sought to withdraw the statements after they were allegedly contacted by Senator Spencer and the money which they had initially claimed was owed to them for services which they had performed in the execution of the 4M Project was paid".

CHRISTIE. in such circumstances, a criminal investigation into the matter is warranted
    In a very explosive report on the controversial project, Christie accused Spencer of "improper, unauthorised and unlawful intervention in the project's procurement, contract award and contract payment processes".

Christie said he saw no evidence to suggest culpability on the part of then Energy Minister Phillip Paulwell for any of the procurement and contract award breaches associated with the project.

However, Christie implicated Sherine Shakes, mother of Spencer's child, who was listed as business development manager/project manager for Universal Management and Development Company (UMD), which received the bulk of the payments from the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ) in relation to the project; and her mother, Verdie Mair, who was listed as one of the contractors engaged on the 4M Project by Spencer.

Mair reportedly received direct payments of $700,000 from the PCJ for catering services under the project. She was also, separately, listed as the first company secretary for UMD and Caribbean Communications and Media Network (CCMN), which also received a number of contracts under the project.

Christie said Shakes, who was ostensibly held out by the UMD to be its principal project management, operations and administrative representative, conceded to his office that she had no prior project management experience.

He said that property, allegedly owned by Spencer, and/or his company, Butterfly Traders Limited, was utilised in the execution of contracts.

He said that his investigations unearthed allegations which could, at a minimum, suggest that Spencer, by himself and/or through his company, "was an active participant in the execution of contracts under the 4M Project, at a time when he was the public officer for the implementation of the project".

Christie said that the circumstances would suggest that "an illicit benefit or benefits may have been derived therefrom" by Spencer, contrary to the provision of the Corruption Prevention Act.

"The circumstances of the matter are even more compounded by the fact that Senator Spencer has admitted to the use of his public office to facilitate the award of the said contracts," said Christie. "In such circumstances, it is the OCG's considered view that, at a minimum, a criminal investigation into the matter is warranted to determine, inter alia, if corruption charges should be brought against Senator Spencer."

The contractor-general said that Rodney Chin, who was named as the sole director of both UMD and CCMN, refused to comply with his request to be interviewed, acting on the advice of his attorney, Valerie Neita-Robertson. He said that Neita-Robertson, in a response to him, stated that "the state may not, (even through a Supreme Court justice), compel a citizen to incriminate himself unless immunity against criminal prosecution is granted."

However, Christie said that he did not share this view and has referred the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), as he said that "critical questions" pertaining to the project needed to be answered by Chin.

He noted that while the 4M Project was commenced in July 2006, both UMD and CCMN were "organised in the same month" on July 31 and July 20 respectively.

The contractor-general said that the findings of his office revealed evidence of breaches of the Government Procurement Procedures Handbook (GPPH), the Contractor-General Act, the Financial Administration and Audit Act and the Public Bodies Management and Accountability Act in the procurement of the contracts for the project and in the execution of the contract itself.

He said that the rate proposed by UMD for the project was three times that which was tendered by the other bidder, Power Services Company Limited. UMD was selected and engaged by Spencer, he said.

He criticised the ministry and the PCJ for failing to apply adequate planning, procurement and accounting controls.
    Christie also said that there was a breach of duty on the part of the permanent secretary in the ministry and accountable officers at the PCJ and that, quite surprisingly, none of them claimed responsibility for the project.

He said that the OCG had seen no evidence of any written contract between the Government and project suppliers/contractors, and added that there was no "transparency, fairness, impartiality or merit" in the procurement of the contractors for the project.

"This should not be surprising since several of the project's contractors, inclusive of the main contract - UMD - were handpicked and engaged by state minister, Senator Kern Spencer," he said.

Last month, the then auditor-general, Adrian Strachan, in his report on the controversy tabled in Parliament, said the results of his observations "clearly indicate that the project under which four million free light bulbs courtesy of Cuba were to be distributed to Jamaicans was not planned and implemented in a satisfactory manner".

Strachan said that there was a shortage of some 176,380 bulbs costing approximately $92 million; absence of an effective system of budgetary control resulting in the making of payments and the incurring of unpaid obligations of $185.3 million over the approved financial support of the PCJ.

Spencer shouldered much of the blame for the discrepancies and alleged over expenditure amounting to some $114 million for the bulbs, which cost nothing to the then government, when the matter was first made public by new energy Minister Clive Mullings in October last year.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

'I'm not worried' - K e r n

published: Tuesday | February 5, 2008

EMBATTLED politician Kern Spencer is contending that aspects of the Contractor General's report on the controversial Cuban light-bulb programme will not stand up to scrutiny.

The Contractor General, Greg Christie was called in to probe what appeared to be breaches in the execution of the project, which involved the distribution of four million free Cuban light bulbs across the country.

In his report, which is due to be tabled in Parliament today, Christie found criminal breaches and referred the matter to the commissioner of police, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), the Corruption Prevention Commission, the Attorney General and the Auditor General.

Procedural breaches

Auditor General Adrian Strachan's report on the matter has highlighted procedural breaches. Last night, Spencer told The Gleaner tha he is yet to see the latest report, he has reasons to believe some of the conclusions arrived at were incorrect.

"There are gaps in the reports. I have studied the Auditor General's report already an I have not seen this Contractor General's report, I have heard some of the conclusions and they are erroneous," Spencer told The Gleaner.

"There are a lot of things being said. I have not seen the document but I am confident, even without the benefit of the document, that when I speak I will be able to close those gaps," he added.

Spencer was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Industry, Technology, Energy and Commerce (MITEC), which executed the programme. The Minister was Phillip Paulwell, who had negotiated the replacement of the incandescent bulbs with the energy saving bulbs with ailing Cuban president Fidel Castro.

The Contractor General's report points to Spencer's babymother and his daughter's grandmother being actively involved in the distribution. Spencer, however, denies cronyism.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Y'know, this sort of cronyism takes place all over the world, some countries more than others. The sensible participants try and keep things from reaching the fan, ensuring that all live happily ever after.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Contractor General's report points to Spencer's babymother and his daughter's grandmother being actively involved in the distribution. Spencer, however, denies cronyism.

what is it then, nepotism?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

that was such a loaded post...mi naw touch it!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The fact is this was wholesale under the previous government and they choose to see no evil or hear no evil. They didn't even have the courage to get people out who were involved in shady deals.

This is just the proof that the people needed. People were shouting corruption, corruption while people like Karl were asking "what?".

With this kind of corruption in the Light bulb, JUTC, Air Jamaica, and so many other state run entity, how can you have a productive government?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You assume much.

Productive Government ??? Whose priority is that ?

Comment

Kern Spencer under fire

Former Junior Minister for Energy Kern Spencer was on the defensive on Tuesday morning following the release of a damning report on his involvement in the 4M Energy Saving and Light Bulb Distribution Project, commonly known as the Cuban Light Bulb Project.

Mr. Spencer is vehemently denying that he or any company he is associated with derived financial benefits from the project.

Speaking with RJR News Monday night Mr. Spencer said there were several inaccuracies in the Contractor-General's Report, which was released on Monday.

He also claimed there was a plot to smear his name.

"My first impression is that there are a lot of incorrect conclusions that have been made. It is obvious that there are persons out there being mischievous. I am going to study the report...I have already studied the (previously released) Auditor General's Report and already there are some gaps I am ready to speak to," he said.

"I am going to be doing the same thing over the next couple of days in terms of studying the Contractor-General's Report but I just want to say that I am sure in my mind and I know what the truth is and I know for a fact that I have not received any financial benefit or any company of mine under this programme,"

Mr. Spencer is again promising to give his side of the story when he completes a review of the Contractor-General Report.

"I have already completed my analysis of the Auditor General's Report and my statement on that is almost ready. I am happy that I now have the benefit of the Contractor General's Report and I am going to pull together both and make a presentation very, very soon," he continued.

He told RJR News that he has no intention of resigning as Member of Parliament for North East St. Elizabeth.

Mr. Spencer told our news centre that he has not been asked by the People's National Party (PNP) to relinquish his seat in Parliament since the report was released Monday.

In his report the Contractor-General accused the former Junior Minister of unwarranted and improper ministerial intervention in the procurement process.

The report said several of the contractors were handpicked and engaged directly by Mr. Spencer.

Among the persons contracted was the mother of one of his children.

One of his children's grandmothers was also contracted for the project. Copies of the 124-page report have been sent to the Police Commissioner, Director of Public Prosecutions, the Commissioner for the Prevention of Corruption, the Attorney General and the Auditor General.

In the meantime, the PNP says it is not yet in a position to comment on the findings contained in the Contractor-General's report.

General Secretary Peter Bunting told our news centre on Monday night that he will be reading the document Tuesday and should be able to speak on the matter by Tuesday afternoon.

He expressed surprise that the report was leaked to the media before being tabled in Parliament.

Mr. Bunting is questioning why proper procedure was not followed.

"I am concerned with the way this matter is being handled. If the Contractor-General has issued a report I think the appropriate way for it to be handled would be for the Prime Minister to bring it to the House and table it so that we all have a chance to see what is contained in the report," said Mr. Bunting.

"I think leaking it to the media to get the maximum propaganda effect is really undermining the proper procedures," he continued.

It is expected that the report will be tabled when Parliament meets next week.

And the Contractor-General is recommending that the Auditor-General conduct a detailed investigation into the payment of contractors employed to the Cuban Light Bulb Project.

He is also suggesting that a probe be done of the expenditure approval process as well as the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica's (PCJ) $24 million over-expenditure on the project.

In his report, Contractor-General Greg Christie says the investigation should focus on areas where payments were higher than approved by the PCJ's Board.

These sums were reportedly disbursed without the approval of the PCJ's most senior accounts officer.

The Contractor-General says his probe discovered that property owned by Mr. Spencer and his company Butterfly Traders Limited was used in the execution of contracts.

He has recommended that the authorities try to determine whether Mr. Spencer or Butterfly Limited were sub-contracted to render services and whether illicit benefits were derived.

Comment

A retired civil servant once tell mi sey him believe 50% of taxpayers money is lost due to sloppy management, theft and corruption in Jamaica. We need fi preach efficiency and prosecute those who steal from the public purse.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I would like the Feds or scotland yard to investigate the
                    guns coming into the island. There are some documentaries floating around the bronx (Jamaica town though) an boy I tell you. I look at the Jakans face when they glance at it in the restaurant and they are not pleased. One set of guys complained that they didn't want to be an enforcer for politics anymore; hence they asked for help with music, they said they wer given guns and bullets.

We the locals are being used to kill each other (police included). I wish you guys could see these documentaries. Ja is heading to join her cousin Somalia. We don't have the money and resources to slay this monster that was created.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                      I would like the Feds or scotland yard to investigate the
                      guns coming into the island. There are some documentaries floating around the bronx (Jamaica town though) an boy I tell you. I look at the Jakans face when they glance at it in the restaurant and they are not pleased. One set of guys complained that they didn't want to be an enforcer for politics anymore; hence they asked for help with music, they said they wer given guns and bullets.

We the locals are being used to kill each other (police included). I wish you guys could see these documentaries. Ja is heading to join her cousin Somalia. We don't have the money and resources to slay this monster that was created.
                      By all means .. let them investigate that tuh ... but you do agree that this bulb thing needs some serious looking into right?

Comment

I want the guns to be tackled first. Most law
                        abiding citizens in Ja don't fear some free light bulbs from cuba (we can get to that later) Unless you think otherwise. Yes?

Comment

I want the guns to be tackled first. Most law
                          abiding citizens in Ja don't fear some free light bulbs from cuba (we can get to that later) Unless you think otherwise. Yes?
                          Dem lightbulbs ain't free bro! Yuh nuh hear how much dem costing taxpayers? Yuh nuh hear say Rodney Chin a request immunity before talking to the AG? Wha him affi hide? Man tief a breadfruit off a tree unuh want him fi get 10 years inna prison ... man and man duh the same with taxpayers money and yuh come yah a try talk bout get rid of guns? Yuh nuh that smart Jawge.

Comment

Lazie I'm sure Scotland yard would
                            like to see a reduction in the exportation of gunmen to
                            the UK than worrying about light bulbs. I guess you have your high priorities anyway.

Comment

Lazie I'm sure Scotland yard would
                              like to see a reduction in the exportation of gunmen to
                              the UK than worrying about light bulbs. I guess you have your high priorities anyway.
                              This isn't about the UK bossman ... you just trying to turn attention away from the corruption that is rampant in your party.

Comment

Working...
                              X