No announcement yet.

Should we really give corporate Ja....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we really give corporate Ja....

a tax break or a kick inna dem rhatid?

Destitute ex-mayor gets $150,000 from Gov't
    published: Monday | February 4, 2008

Allan Ross served for 17 years in representational politics. - Photo by Gareth Manning
    Minister of Labour and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Social [COLOR=orange! important]Security[/color][/color][/color] Pearnel Charles was on hand yesterday to bring financial assistance to former Morant Bay Mayor Allan Bonaparte Ross.
    Charles delivered a cheque valued at $150,000 to the 87-year-old ex-mayor who has fallen on hard times.
    Ross, a widower, receives no [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]pension[/color][/color] and relies on charitable neighbours in Yallahs, St Thomas, to survive.
    Charles was made aware of Ross' situation by an article published last week in The Sunday Gleaner, and he immediately arranged for a team to visit the senior citizen's residence the following day.
    The Social Security minister explained that the value of the cheque was based on retroactive claims for widower's pension.
    In keeping with Cabinet's recent approval of an amendment to the National Insurance Act, persons may claim for retroactive pension up to three years.
    Now fully covered
    "He is fully covered for the time being and in a better condition," Charles told The Gleaner after the cheque was handed over to Ross.
    During the presentation, the minister repeated an appeal to the public to report any case similar to Ross' to the National Insurance Scheme or the ministry's office in the parish.
    Charles said the ministry's research has shown that 170,000 senior citizens are living in destitution .
    This represents senior citizens who are not enrolled beneficiaries of the pension scheme or the Programme for Advancement Through Health and Education.
    Charles said a committee had been formed to examine and assess each case.
    "The prime minister has instructed that the cases must be examined and find out what can be done immediately," said Charles. Ross was mayor of Morant Bay from 1974-1977 and served as councillor for the Llandewey division for 17 years.

A tax break will only result in more taxes in the government coffer as many marginal players just can't afford the high taxes and then get inna trouble.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I am aware of the concept, the drivel capitalists would like people to recite.
      Quite a few people are destitute despite collecting pensions.
      Should we create more cases.., with the idea Govt will pick up the slacks, the same..that gives a hefty tax break..?

Blessed

Comment

the fact is taxes must be reasonable. It is upon the govt to collect it, not upon business to be "fair". Both big and small business take advantage if they can.

It was nothing short of slackness what has been going on at all level over the last few years even government not paying their deductions, how can that be?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Corporate Jamaica ?

Please explain.

Comment

I guess it could be one of two things; the ex mayor never worked for a corporation(really irrelevant) or your not having an appreciation for a loose interpretation or use of the word.
            The term corporate welfare is often used in a similar way, not necessarily meaning companies that offer shares...

Blessed

Comment

If the Mayor never worked for Corporate Jamaica.. why would you kick them in the pants for his condition ?

Comment

Yuh caan serious!

Blessed

Comment

Working...
                X