No more smart card discounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more smart card discounts

Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) commuters will no longer enjoy a 10 per cent discount using Smart Cards on the state-owned buses.

Officials revealed that effective Friday February 1, the smart card discounts will be discontinued.

JUTC Marketing Manager Lenworth Simms said the move is part of the overall effort to improve the performance of the cash-strapped bus company.

He said the company is also moving to boost the value of the card and commuters now have the option to personalise their cards free of cost.

Mr. Simms said the personalisation of the cards facilitates the replacement of damaged cards, and the transfer of balances if the card is misplaced, lost or stolen.

Personalised Smart Cards attract a $50 fee.

The Cards were introduced more than two years ago as part of plans to move towards a cashless bus system.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Fools! Maybe they should just go under and we revert to the minibus.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

think you did say keep it at all cost?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Fools! Maybe they should just go under and we revert to the minibus.
        Fools? I heard on the news this week that the monthly losses have reduced significantly.

Is it true that the JUTC buses are competing with minibuses on the same route?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

At all cost?!? Coulda never say dat! They must try and reduce losses but I don't think it will be easy to actually run a profitable business.

The thing with the smart card is they are so braindead when it comes to using the card to attract addtional riders. If they are going to be so smartless about it, might as well dem go dead a bush! Now, why should anybody use the smart card or the bus over the minibus?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well them want fare increase and Henry said not before them start serving the public in a proper way, so there is hope.

It just amaze me how many people dem did have nah work while the buses were off the road so them can lay off 300 and it nuh affect nobody. If a so we a go run the thing might as well we go back to Mini Bus as you say.

160 million a month in losses?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
            X