• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good move if them a nuh political employees

Municipal police to hit the streets
    published: Friday | February 1, 2008

Rasbert Turner, Gleaner Writer

Robert Montague (left), state minister with responsibility for local government, jokes around with Zola Patrick, a participant in a recent municipal [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]police [COLOR=orange! important]training[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] course, during the graduation ceremony held yesterday at Twickenham Park, St Catherine. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
    Spanish Town, St Catherine:
    Thirty members of the municipal police graduated yesterday, at Twickenham Park in St Catherine, after completing a three-week course in police techniques and procedures, statement writing, operations of councils, public speaking, code of ethics and the powers of arrest.
    According to Director of Resource, Mobilisation and Revenue Enhancement, Clavert Thomas, the initiative was the brainchild of state minister with responsibility for local government, Robert Montague.
    "This is part of the revised local government activities and each graduate will return to serve in his or her parish," Thomas said. "I think it is a meaningful step it's not new. It's a worthwhile gesture. I thank all who have made it possible."
    Montague implored the group to remain focused on the job at hand. He said there would be many distractions, but that [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]the [COLOR=orange! important]graduates[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] must put their training into action to make their work easier.
    New direction
    Montague told The Gleaner the programme was in keeping with the new direction of local government and the persons trained would help regulate the collection of fees from barber shops, vendors, commuters and all other areas where revenue collection is concerned.
    "We will also be engaging the National Solid Waste Management Authority for them to assist us with the laws governing litter and other infringements for these persons to deal with that aspect of reinforcement," he said. In closing, Montague said the graduates had been granted the powers of arrest and had been sworn in as special district constables.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X