Golding connects with callers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golding connects with callers

Reminiscent of his years as a radio talk show host, Prime Minister Bruce Golding took more than 17 calls during his first of a monthly call-in programme - 'Jamaica House Live' - on Wednesday night.

Greeted by callers who referred to him as 'Mr Bruce', 'Mr Golding' and 'Mr Prime Minister' they highlighted issues that affected them in their hometowns in various parts of the country.

A few expected issues were presented to the prime minister.

One caller wanted to hear the prime minister's view on the recent joint military-police raid in Tivoli Gardens in which five men were shot and killed in an alleged shoot-out earlier this month.

Golding said he hoped to have an enquiry as early as possible to examine and investigate the incident that occurred within his West Kingston constituency.

Another topical issue, the pending increase of the toll fee for the Portmore leg of Highway 2000, was also raised.

Golding informed the caller that the toll fee had to be reviewed every six months. He also said that there would be an increase but declined to say by how much.

Other topical issues raised included the problems at the national airline, Air Jamaica, the National Housing Trust, and in the financial and agriculture sectors.

A few rural callers made Golding aware of the need for proper infrastructure, such as housing and roads, within their communities.

Close to the end of the programme, the prime minister read emails sent to him by listeners.

Utilise more inmates

One email spoke about utilising more prison inmates within the workforce. The prime minister noted that it was an idea that he planned to pursue.

"It is something we working on," said Golding.

Ann-Marie Watson of St Thomas thought that the call-in programme made her connect more with the prime minister.

"I thought some of the questions were stupid and not for the forum," said Watson.

"But throughout the show, I felt as if I got to know Mr. Golding some more," she added.

The prime minister will host his one-hour radio call-in programme, which is part of the Government's thrust to open lines of communication and to receive suggestions, comments and general feedback from Jamaicans, both home and abroad, on the last Wednesday in each month.

The programme is carried live between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on several radio stations, including Power 106 FM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Pleased with PM's call-in show
    published: Friday | February 1, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

I was very pleased to learn of the prime minister's attempt to connect with the citizens of this country via the call-in programme, 'Jamaica House Live', because I believe that any good leader must spend time listening to his/her followers, hear their concerns and suggestions, and give them some form of hope. I thank the prime minister for taking time out of his schedule to do this once per month, and I was very happy to know that the 'ordinary man' could have a say in what affects him.

I was therefore very insulted by Gary Spaulding, Dionne Jackson-Miller and Peter Bunting's comment, summarising that it was boring and a waste of the prime minister's time. My 10-year-old son spent all of that hour trying to call the prime minister to make a suggestion on a matter that he thought was important to him as a child, an he was not successful in talking with the PM, he plans to try again next month.

Role of the 'ordinary man'

My son is a citizen of this country and has every right to air his concern no matter how unimportant Gary, Dionne and Peter think it is. The 'ordinary man' is always left out of important decisions and many times their views make a big difference. If the prime minister wants to take one hour each month to connect with the people, then so be it.

I am, etc.,

An Ordinary and

Appreciative Citizen

ligro_jj@yahoo.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie: Did you listen in...and, if you did kindly give your opinion?
      Thanks!

I am sorry I forgot about it and never listened.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Lazie: Did you listen in...and, if you did kindly give your opinion?
        Thanks!

I am sorry I forgot about it and never listened.
        I did listen. I was hoping for more stern questions to be put to the PM, but then again, people were calling in about issues that affected them. One lady called about the Portmore toll and he did give her an explanation .. I doubt he could have given a better explanation.

What was good to hear is that every question that was put to him, he was able to give a satisfactory response. He did indicate that he would follow up with MPs and ministers so the thing to look out for is if he will return with a response after following up ... if he did follow up.

Comment

wasn't anything much. Mostly people talking bout their street problem with bad roads, music too loud etc.

While it was a good thing I hope more people call in about policies etc. At one stage Bruce said he thought he would have got some calls from foriegn but none came in.

I could give it a C+ but it is good for Bruce as it make him look human, intouch and incharge.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            I did listen. I was hoping for more stern questions to be put to the PM, but then again, people were calling in about issues that affected them. One lady called about the Portmore toll and he did give her an explanation .. I doubt he could have given a better explanation.

What was good to hear is that every question that was put to him, he was able to give a satisfactory response. He did indicate that he would follow up with MPs and ministers so the thing to look out for is if he will return with a response after following up ... if he did follow up.
            Thanks!
            I forgot he did this 'call-in thing' 'professionally'!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              wasn't anything much. Mostly people talking bout their street problem with bad roads, music too loud etc.

While it was a good thing I hope more people call in about policies etc. At one stage Bruce said he thought he would have got some calls from foriegn but none came in.

I could give it a C+ but it is good for Bruce as it make him look human, intouch and incharge.
              Thanks, boss!

Comment

The foreign lines were busy, and mi couldn't get through. I didn't listen to the whole thing, but he mentioned that the gov't is exploring alternatives to imported oil for power. Sugar cane to ethanol is a direction that he needs to move quickly on.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

yeah it seems like the lines were jammed.

He needed to spend at least 2 minutes and tell us some direction still but maybe him a save it fi the budget.

With the toll he said it is reviewed every six months. The first and second six months the PNP raised it but subsidised it without coming to parliament and now it is up for the third review.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                  X