• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Jawge have been saying "Its the beginning

of the end!"

Shaw to announce tax cuts in April
    MARK CUMMINGS, Observer senior reporter cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, January 31, 2008

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Finance Minister Audley Shaw is to announce the government's plan to reduce taxes as well as measures to ensure greater tax compliance, when he makes his contribution to the 2008/2009 Budget Debate in April.
    "I intend to, over time, bring the tax rates down and to elevate the compliance rate," Shaw said. "It can be done and it is the general philosophy and approach of the government to reform the tax system," the finance minister said.
    Underscoring the need for the reform, Shaw said his administration would not be relying on borrowing and the imposition of new taxes to finance its obligations.
    "We cannot rely, as the previous (People's National Party) government did, on borrowing and to taxing their way in terms of more and more taxes," he argued.
    The finance minister was addressing participants at yesterday's Jamaica Stock Exchange (JSE) annual regional Investments and Capital Markets Conference at the Rose Hall Resort and Country Club in Montego Bay.
    He told the gathering, however, that the proposed tax reform would not be undertaken at once.
    "It can't be done at once, it's a process," Shaw stressed, adding that the proposal is intended to simplify the tax system through greater equity and compliance.
    He argued that the proposed tax reform forms part of five fundamentals which, he said, are needed to return the country to the formal economy.
    The others, he said, are:
    . the reduction of national debt;
    . investment promotions;
    . a practical energy policy, and
    . reducing bureaucracy.
    The finance minister also told the conference that customer service departments at the island's collectorate will be upgraded in a bid to make them more efficient and customer friendly.
    "I have already told them at the tax offices that I want every tax office in Jamaica to be comfortable so that people will be happy to pay their taxes," he said.
    The 2008 JSC Investments and Capital Markets Conference, which ends on Friday, is being held under the theme: "Partnering for Change, Embracing Competition for Regional Advancement in a Global Environment".
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Yuh mean like di
    increase fi di nurses? Tell him fi start deh so fuss.

Comment

i agree he should keep his promise to the nurses, and it should be watched but does that mean he shouldn't address these issues until he has done that?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

once bitten, twice shy

Comment

Nurse them understand them just get some new buses, them nah fi pay school fee and hopefully free healthcare.

Now if you can bargin pon that you can show where that is about a 20% increase in pay.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            i agree he should keep his promise to the nurses, and it should be watched but does that mean he shouldn't address these issues until he has done that?
            A 100% increase is no way possible ... suh Jawge, the teachers and the nurses along with whoever else live in fantasy land need fi get real. It appears people nuh aware of the mess Portia, PJ, Omar and all the others left behind.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well same way yuh need fi get real
              pon di ress ah promises.

For the 10,000th time: Lazie have you read confessions of an economic hit man?

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                Well same way yuh need fi get real
                pon di ress ah promises.
                Last I checked they've been going ahead with what they promised and some they've realized needed to be cut back a bit. The gov't used 500 million to But is you name Jawge ... what else should we expect?

Comment

and the book? Read? yes, no?

Comment

what an inane answer!!!???!! how does answer my question?

anyway figget it. no need to answer or respond.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                    X