• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'state' of Tivoli Gardens - Lazie, u missed this

The 'state' of Tivoli Gardens
    HEART TO HEARTBetty Ann Blaine
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dear Reader,
    Whether you agree or not with Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin's characterisation of Tivoli Gardens as the "mother of all garrisons", you can't help but conclude that the community is a unique phenomenon.
    The pun on the word "state" in the caption is not accidental. In my view, Tivoli Gardens is not only in a particular state of being that requires immediate and diverse social interventions, it is an enclave that operates as an independent state within the state of Jamaica.

By the way, Tivoli is not the only such aberration. Almost all the other 14 or so garrison communities that exist have essentially seceded from the state. Tivoli, however, is perhaps the most complete and successful case of a territory that has achieved self-government, and has effectively instituted all of the main elements of self-rule. I suspect that this is one of the features that led Hardley Lewin to bestow the title of the "mother of all garrisons".

Of course, the paradox is that Tivoli continues to participate in the democratic process, but even that is a demonstration of the tight control that is exerted upon its citizens. If you live in Tivoli you are expected to vote for one party - the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP). It's common talk that to do otherwise can be detrimental to life, limb or property. That is why for over 40 years or more the JLP has secured almost 100 per cent of the popular vote. You could easily eliminate Tivoli (and other such garrisons) from the election competition. The results are really a foregone conclusion.

I'm told that the person who wields the power is called "president", and there is nothing that takes place without his knowledge or consent. In Tivoli, freedom of movement is really a figment of the imagination. It is rumoured that emigration from the community requires the approval of the "president". The community is so strategically configured, that there is only one way in and one way out. Sure, people are free to go in and out of that community, but any visitor can rest assured that they are under organised surveillance, and to enter driving a vehicle with tinted windows wound up is asking for trouble.

So tight are the reins of control that to even engage in charitable work requires a de facto "work permit" that comes through a personal contact or invitation. The "president" has to be informed and his approval and blessings must be confirmed. In Tivoli the rules are pretty clear, and the organisational structure is highly disciplined and effective.

The economic base of the community is also pretty well established, and is largely rooted in criminality. While there are many decent, law-abiding members who engage in legitimate employment and work hard to support themselves and their families, the mainstay of the local economy is extortion and the spin-offs of the drug trade. Unlike other garrisons, Tivoli residents are economically and physically secure, and for the most part are not victims of the type of abject poverty that is manifest in other garrisons, some of which, interestingly enough, are in close proximity to Tivoli.

Politically, the levels of psychological conditioning have paid off, and the residents of Tivoli will probably tell you that they are content with their situation. In contrast to other garrisons, you rarely hear of internecine wars in Tivoli Gardens. The "black on black" crimes that plague every other garrison across the country are virtually non-existent in Tivoli. No one could describe Tivoli as a "hot-bed" of crime. Tivoli is, instead, the headquarters from which the external criminal satellites are controlled, and its sphere of influence spreads not only across geographical borders, but its tentacles reach up and out to the highest levels of public and private life.

In a locale so tightly governed, it would be foolish for anyone to try to "rock the boat", and for Tivoli residents I suspect that it is not even a consideration. The only threat to personal safety would come from the official state apparatus. Other than that, there is a feeling of liberty and independence that is almost enviable, even to those Jamaicans who live in some of the most affluent communities in our country.

The recent raid on Tivoli was most unfortunate from the point of view of the young lives lost in the battle. Garrison or not, we all must be concerned that the bodies of five more of our young men were piled on to the back of a pick-up like discarded animals and transported to some overcrowded morgue. I personally wish to offer my condolence to the loved ones of those five young men.

I expected Mr Golding as member of parliament for Tivoli Gardens and as prime minister to have made an immediate statement to the nation that would have demonstrated his sensitivity and concern for the nature of the tragedy. The general statement he made four days later would actually have been appropriate at the time of the incident and would not only have shown his compassion as the commander-in-chief, but would have allayed unnecessary speculation and conjecture about biases and conflicts of interest. The problem is of course that Tivoli is a very special case, and given its "uniqueness" it is clear that what happens there obviously has to be handled with political kid gloves.

When all is said and done, my heart goes out to the people of Tivoli who are innocent victims of a crafty, self-serving political arrangement. I look forward to the day when they and the rest of us will be set free.
    With love,
    bab2609@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Karl; January 30, 2008, 03:25 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

well written mosiah!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      The 'state' of Tivoli Gardens
      HEART TO HEARTBetty Ann Blaine
      Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dear Reader,
      Whether you agree or not with Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin's characterisation of Tivoli Gardens as the "mother of all garrisons", you can't help but conclude that the community is a unique phenomenon.
      The pun on the word "state" in the caption is not accidental. In my view, Tivoli Gardens is not only in a particular state of being that requires immediate and diverse social interventions, it is an enclave that operates as an independent state within the state of Jamaica.
      By the way, Tivoli is not the only such aberration. Almost all the other 14 or so garrison communities that exist have essentially seceded from the state. Tivoli, however, is perhaps the most complete and successful case of a territory that has achieved self-government, and has effectively instituted all of the main elements of self-rule. I suspect that this is one of the features that led Hardley Lewin to bestow the title of the "mother of all garrisons".
      Of course, the paradox is that Tivoli continues to participate in the democratic process, but even that is a demonstration of the tight control that is exerted upon its citizens. If you live in Tivoli you are expected to vote for one party - the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP). It's common talk that to do otherwise can be detrimental to life, limb or property. That is why for over 40 years or more the JLP has secured almost 100 per cent of the popular vote. You could easily eliminate Tivoli (and other such garrisons) from the election competition. The results are really a foregone conclusion.
      I'm told that the person who wields the power is called "president", and there is nothing that takes place without his knowledge or consent. In Tivoli, freedom of movement is really a figment of the imagination. It is rumoured that emigration from the community requires the approval of the "president". The community is so strategically configured, that there is only one way in and one way out. Sure, people are free to go in and out of that community, but any visitor can rest assured that they are under organised surveillance, and to enter driving a vehicle with tinted windows wound up is asking for trouble.
      So tight are the reins of control that to even engage in charitable work requires a de facto "work permit" that comes through a personal contact or invitation. The "president" has to be informed and his approval and blessings must be confirmed. In Tivoli the rules are pretty clear, and the organisational structure is highly disciplined and effective.
      The economic base of the community is also pretty well established, and is largely rooted in criminality. While there are many decent, law-abiding members who engage in legitimate employment and work hard to support themselves and their families, the mainstay of the local economy is extortion and the spin-offs of the drug trade. Unlike other garrisons, Tivoli residents are economically and physically secure, and for the most part are not victims of the type of abject poverty that is manifest in other garrisons, some of which, interestingly enough, are in close proximity to Tivoli.
      Politically, the levels of psychological conditioning have paid off, and the residents of Tivoli will probably tell you that they are content with their situation. In contrast to other garrisons, you rarely hear of internecine wars in Tivoli Gardens. The "black on black" crimes that plague every other garrison across the country are virtually non-existent in Tivoli. No one could describe Tivoli as a "hot-bed" of crime. Tivoli is, instead, the headquarters from which the external criminal satellites are controlled, and its sphere of influence spreads not only across geographical borders, but its tentacles reach up and out to the highest levels of public and private life.
      In a locale so tightly governed, it would be foolish for anyone to try to "rock the boat", and for Tivoli residents I suspect that it is not even a consideration. The only threat to personal safety would come from the official state apparatus. Other than that, there is a feeling of liberty and independence that is almost enviable, even to those Jamaicans who live in some of the most affluent communities in our country.
      The recent raid on Tivoli was most unfortunate from the point of view of the young lives lost in the battle. Garrison or not, we all must be concerned that the bodies of five more of our young men were piled on to the back of a pick-up like discarded animals and transported to some overcrowded morgue. I personally wish to offer my condolence to the loved ones of those five young men.
      I expected Mr Golding as member of parliament for Tivoli Gardens and as prime minister to have made an immediate statement to the nation that would have demonstrated his sensitivity and concern for the nature of the tragedy. The general statement he made four days later would actually have been appropriate at the time of the incident and would not only have shown his compassion as the commander-in-chief, but would have allayed unnecessary speculation and conjecture about biases and conflicts of interest. The problem is of course that Tivoli is a very special case, and given its "uniqueness" it is clear that what happens there obviously has to be handled with political kid gloves.
      When all is said and done, my heart goes out to the people of Tivoli who are innocent victims of a crafty, self-serving political arrangement. I look forward to the day when they and the rest of us will be set free.
      With love,
      bab2609@yahoo.com
      Once again the silence was deafening. Was waiting to see who would post it. Big up Mosiah. Like I said I would love to see the apologists try that in their respective lands of human rights.

Comment

hahaha!

Not funny!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie posted everything else, but this!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie posted everything else, but this!
            I have no dispute with the article ... my problem is with those who believe that going in with all guns blazing not caring if one or two innocent persons get killed.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Can you promise never to talk about how peaceful a society Tivoli is? Because it really doesn't matter how peaceful the community is when it is the hqs...hey, you read the article.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can you promise never to talk about how peaceful a society Tivoli is? Because it really doesn't matter how peaceful the community is when it is the hqs...hey, you read the article.
                The fact is there are no murders there. If there is a crime hq there the police must simply deal wid it by targeting those running and carrying out these "operations"
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

There are no murders there?!?! Come Lazie. Just that the larger population may never hear about them. I won't say anymore on that.

What should the police do if they have "intelligence" that some wanted men have taken refuge there?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Apply for a visa?? Hey i'm just
                    trying to understand

Comment

Yuh say it as joke!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There are no murders there?!?! Come Lazie. Just that the larger population may never hear about them. I won't say anymore on that.

What should the police do if they have "intelligence" that some wanted men have taken refuge there?
                        Sorry ... I meant there is a lower murder rate there compared to other areas. ... was rushing out and was attempting to respond first.

Come up with a strategy to apprehend them .. not shoot a man assuming him is a criminal because of him zip code.

Mi tiyad fi repeat miself ... posters want to interpret it any way dem want ... thats their problem.

Comment

Well I guess our cops have
                          to cooridinte with their police officers. I can now see
                          why an INT'L inquiry was made: It was an act of war by invading another sovereign state. God help us we are on our way to Somalia's bossom.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                            Well I guess our cops have
                            to cooridinte with their police officers. I can now see
                            why an INT'L inquiry was made: It was an act of war by invading another sovereign state. God help us we are on our way to Somalia's bossom.
                            When the NYPD is involved in questionable shooting, what are the procedures? Or yuh gonna claim NY different from yaad?

Comment

I'm never for the mowing down of innocent people, but the way these garrisons operate, all of them, it is always going to be difficult getting only the person who you sent in search for. But every reasonable attempt must be made, of course.

The other day in Tivoli, the police were supposed to have killed five boys. Turns out that one was 18 and the rest in their 20s. Those are not boys. The halftruths must stop in trying win over the public. Does not mean they deserve to die if they weren't involved in anything, but when Tivoli people tell me that at least 4 of them had guns, that were not holstered at the time...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X