• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big tourism plan for eastern Jamaica

Planned Duckenfield aerodrome to accommodate commercial, private jets
    BY INGRID BROWN Observer staff reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An aerodrome equipped with immigration and customs departments to accommodate both international and domestic flights is to be built in Duckenfield, on crown lands bordering Portland and St Thomas, state minister in the office of the Prime Minister Daryl Vaz confirmed yesterday.

Vaz, who has responsibilities for project monitoring and implementation, explained that the development will consist of an 8,000-foot runway which will be ideal for private aircraft and 200-passenger commercial jets.

He explained that the aerodrome, which will have international status, will initially have a small terminal with processing and restroom facilities to be further expanded when the need arises.

"This will open up the eastern end of Jamaica for major tourism investments as well as for commercial activities such as free zones," Vaz said.

The Observer first learnt of the Duckenfield project last Wednesday at a luncheon of business leaders hosted by the newspaper's chairman, Gordon 'Butch' Stewart, at the Observer head office in Kingston.

Stewart said he attended a meeting that morning at which the plan, among a number of issues relating to development in Portland, was discussed, and that he was very encouraged by what he heard from the Government officials.

The meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Bruce Golding, was also attended by business mogul Michael Lee Chin, representatives of the Ports Authority of Jamaica, Airports Authority, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Urban Development Corporation (UDC), Immigration and Customs departments, and the Commissioner of Lands.

Yesterday, Vaz told the Observer that during the meeting, Golding mandated the UDC, Airports Authority and the CAA to put together a comprehensive cost analysis to be taken to the Cabinet.

The project is expected to be signed off and sent to Cabinet in time for the new budget in April, and the estimated time from start to finish of the project, once it is approved, Vaz said, is 24-30 months.

The project will, however, be funded by the private sector, and Vaz said he has already begun discussions with Lee Chin, who, he said, is committed to getting the project off the ground.

"By March we should be sitting down again to look at some hard numbers in terms of cost," he said.

The project, he added, will attract investors to Portland, among them "a prospective purchaser of the 1,600-acre Errol Flynn estate" who, he said, came to the island in December and had indicated his willingness to do business here once he could fly his private jet here and avoid the long commute by road to Portland.

Vaz also said that other owners of private jets, who have been buying property in Portland over the past two years, have been lobbying for a proper aerodrome.

He said that other aerodromes across the island will be expanded to accommodate certain types of private aircraft, lighting for night flying and customs and immigration services to allow easier access for tourists and business travellers.

"With what is happening in the world today, you are at a distinct disadvantage if you are to tell someone flying their private jet to Jamaica that you have to land at Norman Manley or Sangster [airports], clear customs and then re-board to fly to Port Antonio to spend a vacation," said Vaz. "That is way old time."

He explained that although the Duckenfield site is about an hour's drive to Port Antonio, it is the most suitable location as determined by the CAA, as other sites examined were ruled out because of cross winds.

"The fact that the land is government-owned would also eliminate the wait for land acquisition or relocation of persons or buildings," he added.

He said the aerodrome will also benefit the marina in Port Antonio which was built by the Port Authority and which has become a white elephant.

"Port Authority spent a lot of money to open the marina with the hope that it would resuscitate Portland and surrounding areas. but it has become a white elephant, and one of the problems is that there is nowhere for yacht owners to fly in and out," he said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

mek it easy fi vaz fi come and go...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      mek it easy fi vaz fi come and go...
      Him won't have to worry bout that shortly I guess a decision will be made soon and based on what I've read .... he will be kicked out of Parliament.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

what i'm more interested in is the method that will be used to replace him!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Regardless I think it's still the JLP's
          seat. I don't think the PNP should want these seats, it's just that the
          people voted in the wrong labourite. Clearly it's still a JLP win.

Comment

Higher monkey climb , the
            more.......................

Comment

~sigh~

it's possible that the court could rule that the next highest vote getter or have a by election THAT is what i'm interested to know...and the court's decision WILL make a difference whether it remains a jlp seat.

Comment

mi have fi see it first.

Last year I did a paper in my graduate econ course on the economy effect of a small airport in Eastern Ja. Ofcourse the grade was A+.

This is what Portland need, the ability to fly in and out and have short weekend vaction while the rep build.

Portland has gotten too much disappointment. The only thing positive I see in this is it is supported by Lee Chin and Butch.

Now with all the negitives of Vaz, you see why Daboub couldn't win? The PNP representation of the last 5 years in Portland has been nothing short of a nightmare.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass - now Gamma can buy the plane, pick us up and we jet into Portland for a weekend. Sass and myself will act as your tour guides.

Gamma if you haven't already done so, please work on the pilot licence
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

make sure it have at least 2 engine and a quick access to the cockpit just in case him a gaze at the lovely Blue and John Crow mountains or the hotties pon the beach
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      make sure it have at least 2 engine and a quick access to the cockpit just in case him a gaze at the lovely Blue and John Crow mountains or the hotties pon the beach
                      Wikkid
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

YAY!!! actually i was thinking we could wind surf there...i would ask the half man half horse if him wi jine wi, but i don't think the boards are built to accomodate cloven hooves.... and 4 of them at that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          ~sigh~

it's possible that the court could rule that the next highest vote getter or have a by election THAT is what i'm interested to know...and the court's decision WILL make a difference whether it remains a jlp seat.
                          As mi seh previously di PNP, if the courts uphold the thought that Vaz is not qualified under The Constitution to hold the seat, should allow the JLP to run uncontested for a replacement candidate or Vaz himself if he renounces his US citizenship.

Point would have been made...and, if others so lose their seats...same 'no contestant' action!
                          Last edited by Karl; January 29, 2008, 11:24 PM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

See and that's what I don't
                            want. It will set a new trend and loop hole in the system. One could manipulate it for the courts to decide. It should lay strictly in the hands of the people.(outside of a close race;ie DKvs..)

I blame the JLP for this gross oversight and now we are left with this.
                            Tactically for Nanny P; I think she should allow them to remove Vaz and put in their candidate. They won the seat, any side you cut it.

Comment

how did bush win the 2000 election to become the us president? nuh the supreme court gi it to him?

Comment

Working...
                              X