Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing double speak...

Two-pronged reason
    Dr Duncan announced his withdrawal from the race on Saturday, saying he had been guided by the party's recently completed appraisal report which recommended that a long-standing convention, not to have an elected MP serve as general secretary, be honoured.
    Donald Buchanan, who announced his resignation from the post of general secretary last year, had only accepted the role after already announcing he would not be running for a seat in Parliament in the 2007 [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]general [COLOR=orange! important]election[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].
    Buchanan had replaced Colin Campbell, who quit in the wake of questionable transactions with Dutch oil [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]trader[/COLOR][/COLOR] Trafigura. Campbell was at the time a senator and was preceded by Burchell Whiteman, also a senator.
    Despite Dr Duncan's rationale for stepping aside, PNP executives suggested yesterday afternoon that there was nothing objectionable about breaking the custom of MPs not running for general secretary.
    "While it is a convention, it allows the party leader and the party leadership the discretion, when the situation so demands, to depart from that convention," Bunting told journalists yesterday. "While the convention will be honoured, more often than not, from time to time ... the leadership has thought it prudent to vary from that."
    Bunting, who also serves as the PNP's shadow minister on industry, commerce and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]investment[/COLOR][/COLOR], added that he would rally a team around him as he plays all three roles in the party.
    At the top of his priorities will be the restructuring of the PNP, which is still healing after a divisive leadership race in 2006 that placed Simpson Miller at the helm of the party. "The PNP, whenever it is in office, the party organisation suffers by virtue of the fact that the entire leadership of the party is preoccupied primarily with government positions," Bunting told journalists. "And because we are coming out of an unprecedented 18 and a half years of incumbency, then I think it would be also fair to say that the party has suffered from the neglect of not having its top leadership focus primarily on the party's business for such a long period of time."

read the poll commissioned by the pnp to find out why portia lost the general election...it's in the observer. even more importantly pay attention to recommendation 67...very telling if you ask me.

dk's rationale...does not wash. i think it was to avoid further party disunity that would be caused by campaigning or even voting for the gen sec position.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Your explanation makes sense.

BTW, mi lazy, so what is recc. #67?

Comment

But it was not all doom and gloom for the party which received 67 recommendations on the way forward, the main being recommendation 67 which says the, "PNP needs to once again become synonymous with development and progress and not as it currently appears to be synonymous with corruption, nepotism and mediocrity."

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Thanx.

Comment

gamma, recommendation 67 is indeed telling... i am not a bit surprised and i am in total agreement with the recommendation... it is because of that why as a supporter of the pnp, i was not upset with the jlp's victory... jamaica needed a change for its own sake...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

the pnp need a change in leadership as well... portia is clearly out of her league in terms of leadership and her ability to inspire the nation...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
              X