Gov't to Add Two Years of Compulsory Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov't to Add Two Years of Compulsory Education

The Government will be adding two years of compulsory education for students, who have not gained the required academic qualifications after five years of secondary schooling.

Education Minister, Andrew Holness, speaking at the opening of the University of the West Indies (UWI) Research Day on the Mona campus this morning (Jan. 24), said the move is to reduce the number of young persons who leave school without adequate qualifications.

The additional two years, he said, "wouldn't really be secondary, it's more what you will call a post secondary level".

He explained that the sixth form level will remain intact and "those students, who matriculate, can go to sixth form or the community colleges or if their matriculation is high enough, they can go straight to university."

"But if you did not matriculate, in other words, you have four or less subjects, you must continue two additional years up to age 18. The policy, which we would be bringing forward shortly, is that education is compulsory from zero to 18 years," he stated.

According to Mr. Holness, the additional years of secondary school will be based on the knowledge, skills and attitudes (KSA) model. "For those two years, those kids will acquire knowledge, they will be able to continue their academic development, but they will also be given the opportunity at technical and vocational skills," he outlined, noting that the move will also ensure that there is a "greater alignment between what the education sector is turning out and what the business sector requires."

In the meantime, he said that amendments will be made to the Apprenticeship Act, so as to ensure that students "can go into work places on a voluntary basis or on a paid basis."

UWI Research Day 2008, from Jan. 24-25, is being held under the theme: 'UWI's Caribbean Impact: Global Reach' and will expose the public to the relevance of research work done by the institution.

Professor Gordon Shirley, Pro Vice Chancellor and Principal of the UWI, noted that this year's Research Day is very special as it marks the 60th anniversary of the UWI.

He also noted that the event provides a forum to showcase the evidence that the UWI is a "first rate university producing research to advance and expand existing knowledge in Jamaica, the region and the wider world."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

good move.
    When nuff a we done High school at sixteen where do you go?

Lick them wid some HEART program and some discipline and skill training sah.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Security guards, waiters, bartenders and prostitutes need so
      much education?

Comment

that's for those wo=howould be interested in telemarket....

it just occurred to me that you may have mistaken the word BUFFOON for the word BABOON which led to you accusing me of calling you a monkey (in any event a baboon is an ape, albeit a lesser ape)....in case that is what you thought please disabuse yourself of that notion.

i wouldn't diss a baboon like that!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
          Security guards, waiters, bartenders and prostitutes need so
          much education?
          Dat's why them getting the Xtra 2 years, so them will have an inkling for other trades
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Ah well. back on the ranch:
            Give me your those on Ja lobbying Intel and AMD for a super clean Lab. Thanks.

Comment

the deconstruction of a centaur.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you know the last time me went Jamaica, mi fellow Titchfield grad a drive taxi tell me he is no taxi driver. He said he does customer service. He said he is never looking for work because of how he treats his clients.

He say he has to turn away clients even though he has two cars. Now if we could train all our workers to be as productive and realise how important customer service is regardless of what area you work in. Wouldn't be nice if we can retrain our farmers to produce more?

That is the only way our country will be better. Unnu keep on talking about making the country better but how much people you think will be employed in IT at any one time?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I will just address this
                  question sass:
                  That is the only way our country will be better. Unnu keep on talking about making the country better but how much people you think will be employed in IT at any one time?

If we could target say 50K and emulate Silicon valley by having one in proportion to our population size, I think we would be on our way.

Many want to emulate the "gaming" (GAMBLING) sector of the US, I'm advocating to emulate the technology side. If I'm wrong in my thinking please correct me with a detailed explanation. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    I will just address this
                    question sass:

If we could target say 50K and emulate Silicon valley by having one in proportion to our population size, I think we would be on our way.

Many want to emulate the "gaming" (GAMBLING) sector of the US, I'm advocating to emulate the technology side. If I'm wrong in my thinking please correct me with a detailed explanation. Thanks.
                    I haven't seen where anyone is against what you're advocating .. you on the other hand needs to see there is nothing wrong with diversification.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Is every habit yuh
                      pick up since yuh come to AMERICA?

Comment

What I am saying is make the pool bigger, train everyone to be better and more productive. Even the man who a load bus fi do a better job and make more money and pay him taxes, make a business out of it. The man who plant yam throw wah him machete and use other methods that will yield him more in less time, yes them need training and very basic one at that. High school currently in Ja in many cases don't prepare us for the real world.

When you graduate from high school what could you do? What were you trained in other than GCE?

Comment

nutten, mi not even did waan
                          go ah nuh more school. Couldn't see the relevance (to making money, and having it materially).
                          I came to america and my percetion was changed.

Boss you may brush this argument aside but the so called big men in Ja have a lot to do with how our young boys think. At one stage I thought it was cool to be a drug kingpin in Ja (hey they have all the girls, money, house and was accpeted in ja's "society"). A turn started to come over my life and I was just got sick to see all these people that I was told to look up to dealing drugs. I was glad to leave JA and stayed away for years (cleared my head). Thanks mom and thanks america.

Comment

Well that is why we need the two more years, not everyone can come to America during those years. I could go as far as to say take them outa their communtiy and put them in some boarding environment. Why we send our best to UWI and CAST, and other fine instution to board and complain when them go to other places? If is not trade school then a jail fi most a them.

Comment

Sass you can board them all you want as long as
                              certain practices are accepted (with the practioners too) things will not change in Ja. Right now it's just getting rich real quick, that's all. Discipline and hard work is through the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X