How Clinton Will WIn The Nomination By Losing South Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Clinton Will WIn The Nomination By Losing South Carolina

Interestng article on one mans opinion of the Clinton strategy to use the race card. Some of it seems like a stretch but it is close to what some people on this forum have been saying.

Dick Morris is very anti-Clinton in recent years but he knows the way they operate better than most, since he used to work closely with them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

By Dick Morris and Eileen McGann
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hillary Clinton will undoubtedly lose the South Carolina primary as African-Americans line up to vote for Barack Obama. And that defeat will power her drive to the nomination.

The Clintons are encouraging the national media to disregard the whites who vote in South Carolina’s Democratic primary and focus on the black turnout, which is expected to be quite large. They have transformed South Carolina into Washington, D.C. — an all-black primary that tells us how the African-American vote is going to go.

By saying he will go door to door in black neighborhoods in South Carolina matching his civil rights record against Obama’s, Bill Clinton emphasizes the pivotal role the black vo te will play in the contest. And by openly matching his record on race with that of the black candidate, he invites more and more scrutiny focused on the race issue.

Of course, Clinton is going to lose that battle. Blacks in Nevada overwhelmingly backed Obama and will obviously do so again in South Carolina, no matter how loudly former President Clinton protests. So why is he making such a fuss over a contest he knows he’s going to lose?

Precisely because he is going to lose it. If Hillary loses South Carolina and the defeat serves to demonstrate Obama’s ability to attract a bloc vote among black Democrats, the message will go out loud and clear to white voters that this is a racial fight. It’s one thing for polls to show, as they now do, that Obama beats Hillary among African-Americans by better than 4-to-1 and Hillary carries whites by almost 2-to-1. But most people don’t read the fine print on the polls. But if blacks deliver South Carolina to Obama, everybody will know that they are bloc-voting. That will trigger a massive white backlash against Obama and will drive white voters to Hillary Clinton.

Obama has done everything he possibly could to keep race out of this election. And the Clintons attracted national scorn when they tried to bring it back in by attempting to minimize the role Martin Luther King Jr. played in the civil rights movement. But here they have a way of appearing to seek the black vote, losing it, and getting their white backlash, all without any fingerprints showing. The more President Clinton begs black voters to back his wife, and the more they spurn her, the more the election becomes about race — and Obama ultimately loses.

Because they have such plans for South Carolina, the Clintons were desperate to win in Nevada. They dared not lose two primaries in a row leading up to Florida. But now they can lose South Carolina with impunity, having won in Nevada.

But don’t look for them to walk away from South Carolina. Their love needs to appear to have been unrequited by the black community for their rejection to seem so unfair that it triggers a white backlash. In this kind of ricochet politics, you have to lose openly and publicly in order to win the next round. And since the next round consists of all the important and big states, polarizing the contest into whites versus blacks will work just fine for Hillary.

Of course, this begs the question of how she will be able to attract blacks after beating Obama. Here the South Carolina strategy also serves its purpose. If she loses blacks and wins whites by attacking Obama, it will look dirty and underhanded to blacks. She’ll develop a real problem in the minority community. But if she is seen as being rejected by minority voters in favor of Obama after going hat in hand to them and trying to out-civil rights Obama, blacks will even likely feel guilty about rejecting Hillary and will be more than willing to support her in the general election.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Bang on with my thinking...except, that matter of it all being a Clinton strategy does not measure up to - i) What else can you/Clinton...even Clintons...do but run on their record as it relates to blacks and all other 'good things' done during the Clinton years in the Whitehouse and Hillary's years in the Senate as a representative for New York? ...and, ii) Isn't it that either of the candidates - i.e. Clinton and Obama - must look to winning in the presidential elections and therefore must look towards having all votes after the dust settles (i.e. whoever wins now) that THE CANDIDATE gets the votes his/her current adversary gets in this election...when this election pales when compared to the 'real election' (presidential election)?
    Point is the Clinton(s) have no choice but to work hard for making things fall in place for the coming Presidential Election....that afterall is said, is the real election!

Clintons are not playing the race card! The race card is just there...hey - Obama is black. Blacks will have an emotional tug to line-up behind Obama...and, thus White will be dragged to do the opposite... Hillary Clinton is white!

Obama -black! Hillary -white! ...there is just no way you can close your eyes...and, even then not see it! The card is in plain site...lying face up on the table!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So why is it Obamas team has not played the gender card, isn't it obvious that Clinton is the first serious female candidate, and there is no way to close your eyes to it?

Read this below, isn't this as close as you can get to playing the race card without actually playing it? First black president my r%#$s!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
      DILLON, S.C. - Bill Clinton said Wednesday he expects blacks to vote for Barack Obama and women to vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton, and the dynamic may cause his wife to lose the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary Saturday.

The comments by the former president — who also lashed out at Obama and the news media — mark one of the starkest commentaries yet on the possible role of race, although it has been a subtext of the Obama-Clinton rivalry for months. The comments also furthered the Clintons' bid to play down Sen. Clinton's chances of winning in a state where Obama seems to be ahead.

Voting for president along racial and gender lines "is understandable because people are proud when someone who they identify with emerges for the first time," the former president told a Charleston audience while campaigning for his wife.

His comments and later outburst came on a day when Obama continued to challenge Hillary Clinton's candor and trustworthiness, saying the New York senator has indulged in double-talk on bankruptcy laws, trade and other issues.

Full article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_on_el_pr/obama
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        So why is it Obamas team has not played the gender card, isn't it obvious that Clinton is the first serious female candidate, and there is no way to close your eyes to it?
        If the question is in response to it appearing that my response was Clinton or the Clintons are playing the race then you misunderstood my response.

Just to clarify - I was saying and am still saying "the race card is 'face up'on the table"..i.e. it is there and did not/does not need and never had either of the Clintons or anyone else to point to it.

You look at the candidates and there it is in your face as you immediately see the colour of each! That looking at it triggers...consciously or subconsciously in both blacks and whites deep seated 'race-card issues'. The race card is...well...just there!

If, however, the question is Mrs. Clinton and or Mr. Clinton used the race card, I beg to differ.

-------------

[/quote]

Read this below, isn't this as close as you can get to playing the race card without actually playing it? First black president my r%#$s!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
        DILLON, S.C. - Bill Clinton said Wednesday he expects blacks to vote for Barack Obama and women to vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton, and the dynamic may cause his wife to lose the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary Saturday.

The comments by the former president — who also lashed out at Obama and the news media — mark one of the starkest commentaries yet on the possible role of race, although it has been a subtext of the Obama-Clinton rivalry for months. The comments also furthered the Clintons' bid to play down Sen. Clinton's chances of winning in a state where Obama seems to be ahead.

Voting for president along racial and gender lines "is understandable because people are proud when someone who they identify with emerges for the first time," the former president told a Charleston audience while campaigning for his wife.

His comments and later outburst came on a day when Obama continued to challenge Hillary Clinton's candor and trustworthiness, saying the New York senator has indulged in double-talk on bankruptcy laws, trade and other issues.

Full article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_on_el_pr/obama[/quote]

Does Mr. Clinton's words speak to the current situation?

Ofcourse it does!

So does his mere saying the facts constitute playing the race card?

Ofcourse not!

If he had lied and or twisted the facts... Yes!
        ...but, all he did was stated what many of us...possible all of us...were saying! The 'race-card was and is face up on the table' and we all see it!

Obama needs to not get distracted and stick to his message. He should reply to charges and or comments on his record in a way that no one can accuse him of either 'running away for the scrutiny of his record' or lying!

He must continue to present himself as president material.

...currently, I think his replies to questions on his record and comments on his suitability to be president put him in a poor light. He plays to his commited votes at the detriment of gaining those he needs.

Any candidate who wants to defeat the Republican he/she shall face must find a way to both hold on to the committed and win the uncommitted in the same arguments.

Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Clinton - You better believe that Bill Clinton's status and work in the 90s are a part of the appeal for/of Mrs. Clinton - are doing a better job of selling self - selves - and no alienating those who will be needed later.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I agree with you (and Bill) that Obama has not yet been asked the tough questions on his experience, etc.

I disagree that about the Clintons and the race card, in the sense that yes it was always there and would have been an issue if Obama was to become the candidate, but I really think they deliberately brought focus on it knowing it was a touchy subject and would be jumped on by the media like rats on a piece of cheddar.

As a side issue, I think the Democrats will probably lose the White House again, as I don't think Clinton or Obama can beat Romney or McCain unless something major is uncovered aboput one of them.

Comment

Better you say it; Boss
            when mi talk it causes feelings of hatred and disgust
            Dems don't want the white house.

Comment

Working...
            X