X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calamity! - Financial director breaks down over lost funds

This is madness

published: Friday | January 11, 2008

Faced with death threats against his children, a director of Money Express, a local financial entity with 179 members, called an emergency meeting yesterday to explain how millions of their dollars had been lost.

During his address to the audience of about 60 persons, the company director broke down in tears as he explained that he had been forced to provide 24-hour protection for his four children.

After explaining that the financial entity - which is only one of a number of local companies using the name 'Money Express' - had been faced with problems in July last year, the director said the company faced a "double calamity" in November, when the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]bank[/COLOR][/COLOR] with which it did business went into receivership.

"It is not relevant what has happened, what is relevant is how we go forward," he told the audience at the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]hotel[/COLOR][/COLOR]. "I cannot correct what has gone wrong, but I can apologise."

He admitted to mismanagement of funds, but stressed that he had not stolen anyone's money.

"Those of you who know me have never known me to steal any of your money," he said. "I have been in banking for 25 years and I have never taken a dollar from anybody."

When the announcement was made by the director, there was no uproar from the audience. How-ever, several murmurs were heard throughout the room.

One member of the financial entity told The Gleaner that he had invested US$75,000 (J$5.25 million). He said this was his life savings and he did not know what to do as he had four young children, including a newborn.

Experts assembled

The director told the audience that he had assembled a highly reputable group of bankers, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]lawyers[/COLOR][/COLOR] and financial experts who would advise him on the best possible way to go forward.

The group, he said, asked for one month to analyse the situation, put together its findings, and present its solutions. At the end of the month, he said, he would call a meeting to inform the members of progress. He told the audience that it was possible that they would receive all their money within one year to 15 months. He, however, warned that they would not receive any interest on their principal for the months of December 2007, January and February.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Yuh nuh wanda why di "Financial Director" nuh ave im name innah print...????
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

yes...why?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yuh nuh see mi seh dat a madness! A wonder how long it took him fi earn the US$75,000.00 whey him dash away.

Child: Daddy mi hungry, mi need new shoes and teacha seh mi need fi get mi school books by next week!

Daddy: my darling child, daddy did a silly and stupid thing, took all the money and and and ..........
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

well here is the million $ question. How does this provide confidence in investing in JA. Yes this is some private investment bull**************** but how does it transcend on a bigger scale.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
            well here is the million $ question. How does this provide confidence in investing in JA. Yes this is some private investment bull**************** but how does it transcend on a bigger scale.
            It doesn't!
            ...and, it certainly plays into that "confidence" needed to attract 'ole eap-a hin-ves-ment'!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I don't think these smaller ones will have any impact, Cash Plus might be a different story.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Idiot reporter who nuh put the director name in the paper.

People need to diversify dem investments, and the collapse of Enron was a perfect example of people placing dem entire $$ in one basket and getting burned.

I used to work with an elderly guy who had over 2,000 shares of Enron. Everything was nice when the share price was $90/share, but then it collapsed to 10 cents a share before the company was de-listed from the stock exchange. If he was not such a religious guy, mi know him would a hurt himself.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                X