RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice piece - Barack Obama: the great non-white hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice piece - Barack Obama: the great non-white hope?

Barack Obama: the great non-white hope?
    Geof Brown
    Friday, January 11, 2008

Has the Obama political "behemoth" been blunted in what seemed but a few days ago to be its unstoppable roll?
    Behemoth is not my coinage. The American pundits, who have followed the meteoric rise in political popularity of the young black senator from Illinois, were falling over themselves to find words to fit the incredible phenomenon of a relatively unknown black candidate who emerged the winner of the Iowa state democratic presidential caucuses, a state with only four per cent black population. And in that win, Obama managed to banish two competing white senators from the race, plus putting veterans Senator Hillary Clinton and former vice-presidential candidate John Edwards in second and third place respectively.

Then came New Hampshire. The odds in favour of Senator Obama winning the primaries in that state over the immensely popular and household name Senator Hillary Clinton from New York, averaged a seven per cent lead from the findings of eight separate opinion polls. The pundits could be forgiven for the excess of effusion in their language in the circumstances. Not to mention that Senator Clinton is the wife of the surpassingly popular and still vibrant past US president Bill Clinton. Yet not one of the many opinion polls gave her even an outside chance of beating the political behemoth from Illinois. But win she did by a clear and comfortable three-point margin. After her win, Senator Clinton would say she was the only one who believed she could beat Obama. Even her own camp had conceded victory, pre-voting, to her main opponent.

So what went wrong? It is too easy to dismiss the opinion polls as having been all inaccurate and missing the mark. That would betray poor intelligence and perception. The fact is, the polls were right in the case of the win of Senator John McCain over Governor Romney in the same state of New Hampshire in the Republican presidential primaries. Further, a fact that has generally been overlooked in the early post-election analyses, is that the opinion poll prediction that Obama would take 37 per cent of the vote, was spot on. I am indebted to the CNN super analyst Bill Schneider for that significant bit of information. So it wasn't that Obama did less well than expected, but that Hillary Clinton did far better than projected. And it seems credible that the largest factor in Hillary Clinton's comeback was her recapture of the women's vote, aided by a large turnout in favourable weather.

What might all this mean for the prospects of Obama continuing on a roll in the succeeding presidential primaries? If he holds his popularity at the present level, Hillary as his nearest rival would need to continue repeating her last-minute reprieve by dominating the women's vote. And Obama would have to show up as the weaker candidate in the matter of the economy, another area of concern among the Democrats, at least in New Hampshire. So the real test for Obama will come in the succeeding primaries, especially in the big-vote states like New York, California and Florida.

His freshness and new message of change through unity in diversity will put Senator Clinton's New Hampshire reprieve to the test. She has lots of enemies and detractors among both Democrats and Republicans where he has a relatively clean slate.

What is very clear is that the Obama presence has re-energised the American political scene. Notice how all the candidates in both parties are rushing to be identified in "me-too" fashion as agents of change. They are trying to distance themselves from the old-style Washington way of politicking and governance. The engaging orator that he is, Obama is giving life and vibrancy to the campaigns of both parties. Their focus is Obama. Second-place Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, in staking his claim for his party's nomination, boasted that only he could successfully challenge Senator Obama. And that was before the voting in New Hampshire. The rather ungracious jumping into the fray by former President Bill Clinton was in the form of a direct broadside against Obama, the man who has idolised him. That was because the Clinton camp feared Obama.

It is Obama who has coined the term "the new majority", referring to his wide following across party lines. It is Obama who has his supporters whipped into near frenzy chanting "Yes, we can", at the very moment when he and they should have been despondent over his defeat in New Hampshire. It is Obama who looks like he can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. If ever there was a great non-white hope for political success from the American minority, Obama is it. Look for other non-white minorities to take their cue from the Obama movement and start pitching for higher political offices. Not Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton was ever able to mount an appeal across racial lines and rouse a white majority to stump for them as Obama has done.

The political behemoth is not finished; he is not done. He is obviously just beginning.

- browngeof@hotmail.com or geofbrown07@gmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Geoff is bang on about Obama's influence on the race. No doubt about it Obama has done all minorities and blacks proud! In Jamaican parlance, 'mi proud a im'...yet I am going to vote for Hillary Clinton.

I know the question whether spoken or not will be, "Is he unfaithful to his race?" ...and, all the other associated questions shall arise.

A friend of my who lives in Canada and was visiting with me during the Xmas Holidays told me, among other things...in no uncertain terms, that I was letting him down. As he put it in one of his sentences; "Even if you am convinced Obama cannot win, you must vote for him"..."It is a great thing that is happening and you should support". Powerful argument when put along side my pride in my race...

...but, not powerful enough to outweigh my memory of the economic progress I made during the Clinton years. Certainly a yearning for the 'Clinton times' has been 'rammed down my consciousness' by these George Bush's dog days in the economy.

...then there is the matter of the protacted period...still ongoing...where there is a series of tough questioning that Hillary Clinton meets at each and every turn and the answers she provides which fit within what I believe.

Take the matter of Universial Health Care?
    Hillary is the only one that worked for...and, was defeated by those who believe that some of the citizens are less than persons/less than human and therefore the cost of such a Universal Health care coverage is just a drag on them/ a waste on those 'non-humans'...and, Hillary's current proposal is the only one that would give coverage to all!

Take the matter of immigration?
    Hillary in answer to the thinly veiled attack on 'illegal' immigrants, clothed in a question on whether or not New York's 'illegal' immigrant residents being issued drivers' licenses should be revoked/was a bad idea...supported the idea on the basis of i) the effects on other drivers and other users of our roads having drivers without licenses would have; ii) there is a need to have 'illegal' immigrants to come out of the shadows; iii) and, hinted at the positives...other side of the negatives that are always being spoken of in the vaccuum of there being...or, as the opponents would hope to have us believe there are no positives to the economy....in our daily lives...specifically threw the question back at...forcefully back at the questioners - "what would you do with the people"? ...eliminate them? I read her underlying statement as being they must be treated as human...provision must be made to bring them into the 'driving fold'! Subliminal message - bring the 'illegal' immigrants "in from the cold"? Yes!

Take the matter of the war in Iraq?
    Hillary is the only one along with John McCain who when speaking of withdrawal makes sense. All others either support staying in Iraq until there is victory...matters not the cost in lives and money or speak of immediate withdrawal with no sense of interests - investments and people - left behind...and how that withdrawal would afford protection to same.

She has made the argument of planned sensible phased withdrawal and leaving support entities and troops to protect our interests. I can bet my botom dollar others will gradually come to embrace her position?!

Take the matter of the economy - She speaks of dealing with the housing/mortgage/bank/financial crisis...and guess what?...her husband who master-minded the economy with her by his side...will be by her side if she wins. It is comforting to think on the same 'tag team' working for us! ...and, put in the context of scaling down/bringing the war to a halt and getting some of those billions being spent in Iraq working within the US economy suggests change at home.

There is another question...what do I know of Obama? He has not been asked the same tough questions Hillary has been asked....and, his past positions on 'things that matter' and even his present positions on those 'things that matter' have not been subjected to indepth scrutiny...no indepth follow-up questions? When will those questions be asked/When will my questions be asked...and, or answered?

Yup! He has done us proud...but, after the feel good...beyond the feel good...where is the beef? Where is that which will have me believe in, for me and mine - 'better shall come'? I am not seeing it! Too many unanswered questions!

Will Obama from here on be asked the tough indepth questions? Time...oh time will tell?
    Last edited by Karl; January 11, 2008, 08:57 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

But its all over the Internet that that there was massive voter fraud for Hillary!!

More than half the votes were with Diebold no-paper trail computer voting, and we know how well that worked in 2004! For the first time ever in US history exit polls were WRONG!

Hillary cleaned up with the computer votes while Obama won handily with the paper ballots.

Comment

Keep yuh Hillary!

Obama is the better candidate of the 2.

Hillary voted for Patriot Act and Iraq war. Cant forgive that.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          Keep yuh Hillary!

Obama is the better candidate of the 2.

Hillary voted for Patriot Act and Iraq war. Cant forgive that.
          All votes have to be in the context of 'then knowledge'! Isn't that how we
          make rational decisions - based on what we know?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            There is another question...what do I know of Obama? He has not been asked the same tough questions Hillary has been asked....and, his past positions on 'things that matter' and even his present positions on those 'things that matter' have not been subjected to indepth scrutiny...no indepth follow-up questions? When will those questions be asked/When will my questions be asked...and, or answered?

Yup! He has done us proud...but, after the feel good...beyond the feel good...where is the beef? Where is that which will have me believe in, for me and mine - 'better shall come'? I am not seeing it! Too many unanswered questions!

Will Obama from here on be asked the tough indepth questions? Time...oh time will tell?
            Hmmm...same can be said of Portia?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But its all over the Internet that that there was massive voter fraud for Hillary!!

More than half the votes were with Diebold no-paper trail computer voting, and we know how well that worked in 2004! For the first time ever in US history exit polls were WRONG!

Hillary cleaned up with the computer votes while Obama won handily with the paper ballots.
              Hillary (the Clintons) are always targets of Republican lying warfare! ...and, cho Willi man, although at times the internet provides good info...it also at times provides 'fairy tales'!

Who are they claiming voter fraud?
              Who are they that control and have oversight of the voting apparatus in New Hampshire?

Comment

One problem here, Willi - Karl is the one with the vote! Him and Daryl! (I'm assuming you don't have a US passport, but these days, as Danville has shown, even I might have one that I remember little about.)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Women and Absentee Ballots Were the Key

Wednesday, Jan. 09, 2008 By KAREN TUMULTY

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton greets voters on January 8, 2008 in Manchester, New Hampshire.
                  Joe Raedle / Getty

How did Hillary Clinton confound the pollsters to win New Hampshire? For one answer, you might look to her campaign's state director Nick Clemons, the 34-year-old veteran of former governor Jeanne Shaheen's political operation, who put together and ran a disciplined ground operation that planned for almost every eventuality. "The heart of our ground game was face-to-face contact," he said in an interview Wednesday morning. "I know that sounds like old ward-style politics, but it really works."

Clemons' hire was an important one for the Clinton campaign. Part of a prominent Democratic family from Nashua, he started building his political credentials at the ground level in his home town for the Clinton-Gore reelection campaign. He was also a field director in Al Gore's 2000 presidential bid, before signing on with Shaheen, who had herself had come up as a political operative and had put a strong emphasis on getting the fundamentals right.

The day before the election, Clemons had an army of 4,000 volunteers, knocking on 105,000 New Hampshire doors — an impressive number, given that her total vote came to around 110,000. It helped that "we knew who our voters were going in," Clemons says. Early on, Clinton's team had put together a list of 70,000 of her most likely supporters, slicing and dicing the data by every demographic measure of education level, income and gender to figure out whom they needed to pursue. The answer: "It was women. ... We knew we had to go after those women, and make sure they voted." Those deemed least likely to actually make it to the polls got three visits over the final weekend.

But Clemons also made some other bets. For instance, his team figured Iowa "would come out, at best, a muddle," he said. As it happened, it was much worse for Clinton than that. But Clemons had aggressively pushed her supporters to vote absentee, beginning in December — in other words, "to get their votes in before Iowa even happened."

That emphasis on absentee ballots made particular sense in New Hampshire for other reasons. One is that many of the state's residents commute to jobs in Boston, which means they could be prevented by traffic — or after-work fatigue — from making it to the polls. And schools such as the University of New Hampshire, Keene State College and Plymouth State University — which have mostly in-state students who register to vote on campus — would still be on winter break come primary day. Clinton's campaign urged them to vote absentee before going home.

The Iowa caucuses, with their huge boost for Obama, had an effect, Clemons acknowledges. "We were losing people at the end," he says. "But we were also picking up a lot of people." Those who were coming back to be with Clinton at the end were mostly women. But then, Nick Clemons had that figured out all along.

Comment

I knew it was wrong then, and she knew too.

Comment

LoL

I have a US visa...dats all.

Comment

A Democart ah seh so!

Republicans are the ones that benefitted from this in 2004. Diebold ah staunch Republican firm!!!

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Check out these.

Comment

OK!
                            The claims are mere speculations...and, by those who wanted Hillary to lose! They would love to tie in the claims of fraud with that being the only explanation of how the polling could be "so wrong"!

The Hillary people could also claim she should have won by a wider margin but for the machines! There is evidence to support the machines, if they malfunctioned, would be just as likely to 'swing' Obama's way as Hillary's.

...and if as some claim, hackers got to the machines then it is just as likely it would be Obama supporters as Hillary's...all things being equal....but, all things are not equal. There is a vast rabid group out there...watch/see the pundits on Hillary...on all the networks...in all major print media...who actively pull out all stops to work against...against Hillary...they are the most likely to hack the machines to ensure Hillary's defeat!

Comment

"then knowledge" wasn't even knowledge!!! george bush, cheney and rumsfeld hoodwinked the gullible!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X