X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear the air, Davies tells Shaw

Clear the air, Davies tells Shaw
    published: Friday | January 11, 2008

Opposition spokesman on Finance, Dr. Omar Davies, said Minister of Finance and the Public Service, Audley Shaw, has yet to clarify his position o investment schemes.

In a news release, yesterday, Dr. Davies said that when the former administration initiated legal proceedings agains investment schemes, Mr. Shaw - who was then Opposition Spokesman on Finance - "did not support them inside or outside of Parliament".

Dr. Davies contended that Mr. Shaw had not retracted his previous utterances on the issue.

During a parliamentary debate on January 30, last year, Mr. Shaw commented on the then government's approach to dealing with the new investment schemes.

Entrepreneurial drive

"Mr. Speaker, it cannot be the duty of the Government to in any way, seek to suppress the entrepreneurial drive by using the power of the State either illegally, oppressively or in a corrupt way," he had said. The global economy, Mr. Speaker, is a very real thing and the answer must lie in creating an economy in which entrepreneurs of all types can co-exist and flourish, where they are welcomed and not constantly alienated, where they are allowed to take their risks and yield high profits or suffer the consequences of their high risk-taking propensities."

Mr. Shaw also urged the then Finance Minister, Dr. Davies, to "enforce the rules where they are enforceable, regulate where regulation is necessary, inform the public of the risks involved where risks are involved".

Dr. Davies said the statement made by the Government on Tuesday emanated from Don Wehby, Minister without Portfolio in the Finance Ministry, and not Minister Shaw. He said that raised the question of whether Minister Shaw's position on the matter had been compromised.

Asked by reporters on Wednesday, whether Mr. Shaw had changed his position regarding these schemes, Mr. Wehby said, "I don't know, you would have to ask Mr. Shaw."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

It really confirms that corporations have more rights than voters.
    Shaw doesn't surprise me, but if the Investment Scam in question really has an appointment with the Attorney General then they may be hope....
    I bet you Shaw could recite the biggest of economic books backwards.
    Suh the man did right fi leave den.

Blessed

Comment

Davis has nothing to do? The fact maybe Shaw supported it but the government did the right thing and that is what matter. The PNP had the chance and did nothing. The fact is many people in the PNP also supported these investment clubs and the most vocal was former Davis deputy Errol Ennis.

As an individual in a government you can support different things, who can tell maybe Shaw made a killing but as a government that is managing the economy you have to do the right thing which is what the JLP did so instead of telling them good move, all Davis has to do is pick on Shaw, when will it stop?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Wasn't Shaw's comment regarding Olint? Is it fair to lump Olint, Cash Plus and the others into one basket? What was Olint's business? What was Cah Plus' business? Futhermore, didn't the gov't come to a decision after a ruling from the courts? Omar tried this on NNN the other day, but when one of the hostess followed it up ... him get stammer again. Everyday unuh prove that one fool lead many ... carry on Mosiah.

Rockman, stop follow Mosiah ... he has a tendency to push his foot in his mouth.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yuh mussi feel sey mi gwaan feel some kinda way when you say I am following Mosiah, dat nuh phase me, Iyah.
          I do not understand, are you saying Shaw comments were exclusive ..to Olint.., and as such does not apply to the other Investment Schemes?
          Anyway, you have an opinion pon deh breddah whey run whey left Shaw wha day?

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Rockman, stop follow Mosiah ... he has a tendency to push his foot in his mouth.
            Coming from you, Lazie - cho!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie is classic. The next question would be, if his comments referred only to Olint, why did he find it necessary to avoid commenting on the rest?

Come with your surprise answer now, Lazie!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                Yuh mussi feel sey mi gwaan feel some kinda way when you say I am following Mosiah, dat nuh phase me, Iyah.
                I do not understand, are you saying Shaw comments were exclusive ..to Olint.., and as such does not apply to the other Investment Schemes?
                Anyway, you have an opinion pon deh breddah whey run whey left Shaw wha day?

Blessed
                The only entity the FSC went after under the previous gov't was Olint. If unuh nuh know what Olint did to make money ... ask.

I haven't heard what the difference is about so I'll wait until I hear something.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Lazie is classic. The next question would be, if his comments referred only to Olint, why did he find it necessary to avoid commenting on the rest?

Come with your surprise answer now, Lazie!
                  Whey yuh live bredren? How many of the entities did the FSC go after?

Comment

You, Mr. Lazie, Expect A Direct Response From Me, Mr. Mosiah?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yuh not even going to get one "shortly"!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Wasn't Shaw's comment regarding Olint? Is it fair to lump Olint, Cash Plus and the others into one basket? What was Olint's business? What was Cah Plus' business?
                      The answer to the third question and the fourth question is, "no one knows"!

The companies make claims - but either provide no records or any records that can be considered complete disclosures on how they do business.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        The answer to the third question and the fourth question is, "no one knows"!

The companies make claims - but either provide no records or any records that can be considered complete disclosures on how they do business.
                        Karl, wasn't it established that Olint was in Forex Trading? Is there a problem with Forex Trading?

Comment

Karl, wasn't it established that Olint was in Forex Trading? Is there a problem with Forex Trading?
                          No!
                          Olint said it was in Foxtex Trading but provided no records to support same and or its supposedly tremendous earnings!

It had discovered this 'secret method of sure success at making tremendous profits' that no one in the whole wide world had discovered before or has discovered since?
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am not sure what Davis means when he asks Shaw to clear the air. His position is very clear to me, based on his statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Comment View Post
                              I am not sure what Davis means when he asks Shaw to clear the air. His position is very clear to me, based on his statement.
                              Has the JLP used illegal or corrupt or oppressive methods to try and resolve what is emerging to be a serious problem. No..... to my mind, they are going about it in a systematic, thorough and responsible way.

They are not ignoring the problem like the PNP did ( cash plus) or sending agents of the state with high powered rifles to intimidate and lock down. (olint)

The JLP are acting correctly. Once again Omar Davis is shown to be ineffective and trifling. He has neither the intellectual capacity nor the moral authority to be of any relevance. He really needs to shut up and watch the ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X