RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Councillors squabble as new Portmore Council meets ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Councillors squabble as new Portmore Council meets ...

Councillors squabble as new Portmore Council meets for the first time

All is not well at the People's National Party, (PNP), controlled Portmore Municipal Council.

The first meeting of the newly constituted Council got off to a rocky start Wednesday night after PNP and Jamaica Labour Party, (JLP), members clashed over who was to chair some committees.

Mayor of Portmore, the JLP's Keith Hinds, recommended that PNP Councillors chair four of the six committees.

This did not go down well with the PNP members who are insisting that they should lead all the committees.

Deputy Mayor, Owen Saunderson, said the councillors will not back down from their demand.

He said the Municipal Act outlined that function of the Mayor is the Chairman of the Council and to be an ex-officio member of all other committee, and that is what they are maintaining.

But Mayor Hinds said the move to share the chairmanship of the committees, forms part of the JLP's policy of transparency in the operations of Parish Councils.

He said it has been recommended that JLP councillors chair the finance and civic affairs committees.

JLP councillors are threatening to take the matter to court if there is a deadlock.

The meeting ended abruptly shortly after 9 o'clock, because of the islandwide power failure.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    [b]
    But Mayor Hinds said the move to share the chairmanship of the committees, forms part of the JLP's policy of transparency in the operations of Parish Councils.
    Really? Which parish council, the majority of which have JLP majorities, has set such an example? Not a one!

Portmore already has a JLP mayor. Allow the c'tees to be selected the way they have always been, unless the JLP is going to set the pace.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Really? Which parish council, the majority of which have JLP majorities, has set such an example? Not a one!

Portmore already has a JLP mayor. Allow the c'tees to be selected the way they have always been, unless the JLP is going to set the pace.
      What I notice is that you love jumping to conclusion. There is currently an interview on NNN regarding this issue. I hope yuh tune in ASAP.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I've heard everything I need to hear on the issue. Yuh tek a look when I responded to the initial post? That is not jumping to conclusions. Gwaan listen to yuh NNN.

What is your biased opinion on the matter? Surprise us! Just a direct response would be enuff of a surprise!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem want a rhatid LICK in them head. Time them stop this s h i t t y nonsence and get on with the work that need to be done!
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
            Dem want a rhatid LICK in them head. Time them stop this s h i t t y nonsence and get on with the work that need to be done!
            The PNP councillors just need to, as majorities do, put forward and vote in their preferences! End of sorry story!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Whey Lazie deh? LAZIE, yuh nuh dun listen NNN yet?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Whey Lazie deh? LAZIE, yuh nuh dun listen NNN yet?!?
                I find it amusing that people that was bickering about unity has thrown that out the window since Sept. 3rd.

Comment

I find it amusing that people that was bickering about unity has thrown that out the window since Sept. 3rd.
                  I find it amusing that people who were bickering, were on a tear down mission and had no thought on unity before Sept. 3rd are now pleading for unity?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    I find it amusing that people who were bickering, were on a tear down mission and had no thought on unity before Sept. 3rd are now pleading for unity?
                    KArl ... how many times mi tell yuh fi use the search tool? Mi tiyad a yuh a claim mi say things when its the opposite.

This unity gov't is a load of crap. We need an opposition to keep the gov't in check. http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...44&postcount=4

If yuh need more ... use the search tool. Why would I encourage uniting with idiots?

Comment

KArl ... how many times mi tell yuh fi use the search tool? Mi tiyad a yuh a claim mi say things when its the opposite.

This unity gov't is a load of crap. We need an opposition to keep the gov't in check. http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...44&postcount=4

If yuh need more ... use the search tool. Why would I encourage uniting with idiots?
                      Spinna man!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        Spinna man!
                        Mi tell unuh all the while ... mi back broad ... I don't need to spin ... right or wrong.

Comment

the last line is DI BEST!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It is amusing. The JLP controls 11 or 12 of the 14 parish councils. They have not handed the smallest of olive branches to the minority for the sake of this unity they preach in any of those councils, but now are demanding that the PNP show unity in Portmore. If a laff tidday!

That's like when racist white people discriminate against blacks all day but as soon as they are cornered they recite MLK's line about "content of character".

But, you, Mr. Broadback, Keep It Real Lazie, can't see that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is amusing. The JLP controls 11 or 12 of the 14 parish councils. They have not handed the smallest of olive branches to the minority for the sake of this unity they preach in any of those councils, but now are demanding that the PNP show unity in Portmore. If a laff tidday!

That's like when racist white people discriminate against blacks all day but as soon as they are cornered they recite MLK's line about "content of character".

But, you, Mr. Broadback, Keep It Real Lazie, can't see that.
                              .. and here I was thinking yuh brighter than that. Is the Portmore situation different from the other councils? If yuh cyaan figure it out ... ask.

Yuh nuh need the racist anology, enough unthinking people round here support yuh stance already.

Comment

Working...
                              X