Let me take some time out to apologize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me take some time out to apologize

to Yendi on her cooking. Massive I want you to know that Yendi enjoys cooking with a passion. Any man that is fortunate to win her hand will
    have the benefit of some lovely dishes (on varied occasions; you still have to hire help . Yendi my apologies Oh one more thing: Sistren di pork ting nah go werk roun certian man still.

Cooking with ...Yendi Phillipps
    published: Thursday | January 10, 2008

Yahneake Sterling, Staff Reporter

Yendi is all smiles as she shows off her finished dishes. - photos by Yahneake Sterling
    Welcome to Food's new monthly feature, 'Cooking With ...' , where we take you inside the kitchens of well-known Jamaican personalities and find out some of their culinary secrets. We will find out what their favourite foods are and watch them prepare and serve them as well as share their recipes with you. Our first guest is Miss Jamaica World 2007, Yendi Phillipps.
    She doesn't like to wash dishes but she loves to cook.Clad in a flirty Caribbean inspired dress, Yendi Phillipps, the reigning Miss Jamaica World, smiles as she welcomes Food into her cosy pad for a morning of cooking.
    Phillipps is no professional, but can find her way around the kitchen. After all, she got her influence from her parents whom she describes as excellent cooks. Mom Sonja (deceased) was a great baker and dad Haleem passed on Chinese and Syrian cuisine.
    She started experimenting in the kitchen at an early age, her first memory of a meal she prepared is 'jelly pork', a dish which with pork sausages cut in small portions and coated with a sauce made of ketchup, sugar and spices.
    Laughing at the memory, Phillipps tells Food what is on the menu. "They're my favourite dishes," she notes:
    Cream of pumpkin soup
    Grilled fish fillet
    Garlic shrimp
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    Steamed vegetables.
    Ideally, she would serve a glass of home-made lemonade with these dishes, and vanilla ice cream to top it all off.
    As she prepares to cut the pumpkin into small cubes, she tells Food laughingly, "I'm not a measuring cook. I use sight and taste. I measure for baking but when I'm cooking I just throw."
    A very cheery Yendi starts out preparing the pumpkin soup (this is fully explained in the method that follows her recipe). While that is cooking, she gets the potatoes ready. "I like chunky mashed potatoes," she informs. That done, it's time to get the fish on the grill (full method also explained below).
    Special seasonings
    One can tell she knows what she is doing as she carefully wraps the fish in foil with special seasonings and places it into the oven.
    She stops to check on her other dishes, then shifts focus to preparing the curried shrimp. "Shrimp cooks in four minutes," she says.
    Time is a major factor when Miss Jamaica gets into the kitchen. "What I like about these dishes is that they are quick," she adds.
    And in two hours, all the dishes were ready to be eaten. Mmmmmm. Absolutely delicious, this girl knows how to cook.
    Reporter's take
    Cream of pumpkin soup: very tasty. There was a hint of pepper and the other spices were not over-powering. The texture was perfect, not too thick and not too watery. It left a great aftertaste in my mouth.
    Curried shrimp: Mmmmmm. Finger-licking good. Just a hint of pepper and garlic.
    Grilled fish: tasted like my grandmother's home cooking. It had the right amount of spices that had my mouth watering for more.
    Garlic potatoes: the taste of garlic was evident but it was not overpowering. It was a bit chunky, just as Yendi likes it.
    Steamed: this dish was really interesting and tasty with the balsamic sauce.
    Recipes as observed
    Cream of pumpkin soup
    Ingredients
    1/4 of a medium-size pumpkin
    1 sml onion
    thyme
    1 stalk scallion
    2 tsp salt
    A dash black pepper
    A dash garlic and ginger spice
    2 tbs coconut milk powder
    Method
    Boil pumpkin with seasonings until soft.
    Remove from pot and blend until smooth.
    Pour blended mixture into a pot.
    Smooth coconut milk powder with 1/4 cup pumpkin mixture and pour into pot.
    Add additional seasoning to flavour to your liking.
    Serve.
    Grilled fillet of fish
    Ingredients
    3 pieces fish fillets
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tbsp fish spice
    1 tsp salt
    2 pegs garlic diced
    1 small onion diced
    1 stalk scallion
    1 small scotch bonnet pepper chopped
    Cilantro
    Olive oil
    Method
    Season fish fillet with powdered seasoning (preferably done overnight).
    Place fish on foil.
    Put a generous amount of fresh onion, garlic scallion and cilantro on the fillet
    Pour a drizzle of olive oil on the contents.
    Carefully fold foil and place contents on grill.
    Grill for 10 minutes.
    Open foil and broil fillet for three minutes.
    Remove from oven and serve.
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ingredients
    4 medium-size potatoes
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tbsp butter
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp salt

Method
    Boil peeled potatoes until soft.
    Drain water.
    Crush cooked potatoes with milk and butter.
    Add garlic and black pepper.
    Cream to liking.
    Serve.

Steamed cauliflower and snow peas
    Ingredients
    1/2 cauliflower
    A handful snow peas
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    Method
    In a vegetable steamer, bring water to boil.
    Place vegetables in the steamer and sprinkle salt and black pepper over vegetables.
    Steam to desired softness.
    Remove and serve.

Balsamic glaze
    Ingredients
    Balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp sugar

Method
    Pour a generous amount of vinegar in a small pot.
    Allow to simmer and add sugar.
    Simmer until mixture coats spoon.
    Pour over vegetable.
    A generous serving of grilled fish fillet and curried shrimp.
    Last edited by Jawge; January 10, 2008, 02:03 PM.

~yawn!~

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Mi notice say yuh haff suppen gainst
      Yendi. Mek she live an cut an go through bossman.

Comment

oh lawd.....your leaping abilities are phenomenal...must be the equine lineage!

yuh really see the unseen to rahtid!!!! another name for that is "making up stuff"!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nuh yuh did say har
          name soun like fi Jedi knight? Yuh neva say nutten nice bout har yet.

Yendi might attend a RBSC function; mi ah go pint yuh out to har LOL

Comment

In all honesty: Mi mash up mi blendah lass
            week. Cause mi Fiance show mi how fi mek ah wicked ginger beer (Yesm, I love home made ginger beer bad) so mi buy some ah di big ginger dem an sort a neva cut dem sumall.

Mi ah go buy one ah di professional blender dem now. BTW dat recipe she got from her mom (straight from Porty; sass how yuh do If unnuh have a special way of making ginger beer, put it up and I will try it.

Comment

is lie? how is that dissing? better yet...i'll point YOU out to her!

Comment

LOL..."equine lineage"..where is TK, we need to archive this as the quote of the year so far.

Poor Jawge, him rally gullible to rhatid, him expect that Yendi will become a regular house wife who will have a hot meal waiting at home for her husband when he gets in from work?

Aaah boy...
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                  Nuh yuh did say har
                  name soun like fi Jedi knight? Yuh neva say nutten nice bout har yet.

Yendi might attend a RBSC function; mi ah go pint yuh out to har LOL
                  Scaly et al unuh please arrange the RBSC picnic - cause Yendi will be Jawge's guest. Then we can all get up close and personal. Yipee
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    dat recipe she got from her mom (straight from Porty; sass how yuh do If unnuh have a special way of making ginger beer, put it up and I will try it.
                    Wait - suh the Nubian Princess have Portland roots
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I did say she was born and
                      raised in Portland (that's all i will say and nothing more). Wi match; two country bumpkins. Mi hear say town
                      woman luv countryman bad though (ah wondah why?

Comment

Working...
                      X