Air J workers restive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air J workers restive

The industrial relations climate has reportedly worsened at Air Jamaica, following news that the airline has cancelled a meeting scheduled for Thursday to discuss wage negotiations.

Vice President of National Workers Union, (NWU), Granville Valentine said normality could be guaranteed at the airline, as the workers had ran out of patience after waiting more than a year for a new wage contract.

Mr. Valentine said Air Jamaica's chairman, Shirley Williams, continues to refuse meet with the unionized group of NWN and Union of Clerical and Supervisory Employees, (UCASE).

He said each time a meeting is scheduled, she's absent and workers read this as a disregard for them.

This is the latest in a series of incidents which have left Air Jamaica workers restive.

On the weekend reports surfaced that jobs cuts were coming at the airline.

This was denied by the airlines management.

On Tuesday it emerged that the workers were upset after being denied National Housing Trust refunds due to the failure of the airline to pay over contributions.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

So how comes the former government have chosen not to pay these deductions to the various agencies?

That is what Davis should have been answering this morning. Whether it is the JUTC, Air Jamaica and other entities.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X