JLP rejects blame for sliding dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLP rejects blame for sliding dollar

Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance, Don Wehby says there is no truth to claims that the dollar has devalued drastically since the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) took over the government.

Pointing to 2005/06 figures as compared to last year, Mr. Wehby said he was baffled as to how such a claim could be made.

"The rate of exchange depreciated by 4.9 per cent over 2006 compared to 3.8 per cent for 2005/2006. I have been reading in the press and I am wondering if it is the same numbers we are looking at about a massive devaluation since the JLP came into power," said Mr. Wehby.

"I'll say from January to August the dollar devalued by 3.8 per cent and for the last half of the year it devalued by just over one per cent to finish the year at $70.62, so we must state the facts as they are," he continued.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

.. yet chief poppyshow Portia and side kick Omar blaming the gov't for the slide of the dollar.

Yet people vex bout the termite statement Bruce made?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

People want to ignore facts and continue living in La-La Land.

Some will get it late and some will never get it. It is the nature of life.

Comment

Where is the minister of finance in all of this? I haven't seen his face or heard his voice on anything recently. Who is really running that ministry?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

would it matter if it was being run more effectively?

let's face it, portia was no mental giant and we expected her to, in her capacity as leader (as so aptly defined by the half man half horse) to surround herself with people who could provide solid advice.....

did she? i hope not because if she did....ooooh boy!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I just wondered, gamma. The story on the street is that Shaw disagreed with the position taken by the FSC with regards to Cash Plus and the other alternative schemes. Indeed, it could be the very reason why Michael Hylton resigned.

Is the govt. truly united in its position regarding alternative schemes? If not, why not? Could it be because many of them have money tied up in it?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post

let's face it, portia was no mental giant
              Well...who in the JLP is a mental giant?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

i think your last premise has a lot of merit...i think both sides have money there, ennis the gambler protested early and loudly....

however although hylton's resignation may sound in "policy disagreements" the policy is what interests me....it has been sounded here that there are some issues concerning practice billing of government entities by the former soliciotr general, a practice which was lucrative......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

to be honest what i should have said is that portia turned out to be a mental midget....

i could not honestly call bruce a mental giant (i would say that of seaga) but he is at least competent.

Comment

Him deh a Washington a get 10 million cheap loan fi fixup school and roads. From the World Bank. Omar said it wasn't possible.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You are right it's not you or
                      your party's fault. (has to be the PNP) Carry on.

Comment

...it has been sounded here that there are some issues concerning practice billing of government entities by the former soliciotr general, a practice which was lucrative......
                        I also thought billing on top of collecting that base salary was wrong...but, I asked then when was such a practise instituted...and, why (reasons given/argument made on) was it instituted? ...and, I still have not seen where anyone addressed that?
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

to be honest what i should have said is that portia turned out to be a mental midget....

i could not honestly call bruce a mental giant (i would say that of seaga) but he is at least competent.
                          Bruce and Seaga 'mental competents' and during their earlier stewardship they produced what they did? ...I am thinking the only one of our PMs...looked at in the context of the time he/she ruled...who showed the vision and managed in a manner where the future could have been said to be 'correctly' planned for...was NW Manley!

Comment

the first instance that i know of was by the solicitor general prior to hylton...one of the rattrays...he billed the govt. a BAG a money for an AJ opinion that was thrown out by the privy council.....

Comment

NW manley was a mental giant yes.....seaga too.

Comment

Working...
                              X