Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplementary budget can be abolished - Wehby

published: Thursday | January 10, 2008

Winston Barrett (right), president of the Lions Club of Kingston, watches as Douglas Orane (left), CEO of the GraceKennedy Group of Companies, greets Don Wehby (centre), Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, on his arrival at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston, yesterday. Mr. Wehby was the guest speaker at a Lions Club luncheon meeting at the hotel. Also pictured is Lions Club member Herbert Edwards. - Norman Grindley/Deputy Chief Photographer

Supplementary estimates of expenditure may be a thing of the past, if Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Don Wehby, has his way.

Mr. Wehby is advocating for the end of the practice, which he believes displays improper fiscal management.

"What I have noticed in terms of the discipline of public expenditure budgeting, I think in Jamaica we seemed to have developed a culture which I consider a culture of having a supplemental budget," he said during a Lions Club of Kingston luncheon at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston yesterday.

"As far as I know, when you have a budget that is sacred, you must do all you can and you are accountable for that budget. However, it seems to me (that) somewhere in November, December, this thing called a supplemental budget becomes the norm," he said.

Supplementary estimates of expenditure normally arise when the Government has to shift targets in the original budget as a result of various factors.

However, Mr. Wehby is confident that the estimates can be done away with, as long as the Government tries to balance the budget.

"When I look at the numbers, we have targets that we share with Jamaicans, share internationally and, from 2004, ..., 2007, we have not met the target once, not once," Mr. Wehby. "And you recognise when you set a budget and you miss the target; that thing you call a deficit ... there are only two ways to cover a deficit. You need to (either) print money or to borrow."

He said this would encourage the meeting of budgetary targets and reduce the debt burden of the country.<

Better management

Financial analyst John Jackson is in support of Mr. Wehby's stance, through which he believed responsible planning and manage-ment of the country's resources would be possible.

Mr. Jackson said that, as 75 per cent of the budget can be predicted, the Government should be able to deal with any shocks which may occur during the fiscal year.

"If the budget exercise is done properly, it will have contingencies built into the budget for shocks. If other people have done it, I don't see why we can't do it. If we do things right, we can achieve it."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Well, the arrogant one, Dr. Omar Davies, the best finance minister we've ever had (can't keep a straight face when I hear that) says, " I hold Senator Wehby in the highest regard, but that is clearly his inexperience talking!"

This bredda is smooth .. nuh wonder Mosiah idolize him. But wait ... when Emily Crooks asked how come other countries are able to set their budgets and don't have go use a supplimentary estimates, Omar's excuse is that the supplimentaries were also used in the 80s.

Best finance minister mi foot.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      published: Thursday | January 10, 2008

Winston Barrett (right), president of the Lions Club of Kingston, watches as Douglas Orane (left), CEO of the GraceKennedy Group of Companies, greets Don Wehby (centre), Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, on his arrival at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston, yesterday. Mr. Wehby was the guest speaker at a Lions Club luncheon meeting at the hotel. Also pictured is Lions Club member Herbert Edwards. - Norman Grindley/Deputy Chief Photographer

Supplementary estimates of expenditure may be a thing of the past, if Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Don Wehby, has his way.

Mr. Wehby is advocating for the end of the practice, which he believes displays improper fiscal management.

"What I have noticed in terms of the discipline of public expenditure budgeting, I think in Jamaica we seemed to have developed a culture which I consider a culture of having a supplemental budget," he said during a Lions Club of Kingston luncheon at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston yesterday.

"As far as I know, when you have a budget that is sacred, you must do all you can and you are accountable for that budget. However, it seems to me (that) somewhere in November, December, this thing called a supplemental budget becomes the norm," he said.

Supplementary estimates of expenditure normally arise when the Government has to shift targets in the original budget as a result of various factors.

However, Mr. Wehby is confident that the estimates can be done away with, as long as the Government tries to balance the budget.

"When I look at the numbers, we have targets that we share with Jamaicans, share internationally and, from 2004, ..., 2007, we have not met the target once, not once," Mr. Wehby. "And you recognise when you set a budget and you miss the target; that thing you call a deficit ... there are only two ways to cover a deficit. You need to (either) print money or to borrow."

He said this would encourage the meeting of budgetary targets and reduce the debt burden of the country.<

Better management

Financial analyst John Jackson is in support of Mr. Wehby's stance, through which he believed responsible planning and manage-ment of the country's resources would be possible.

Mr. Jackson said that, as 75 per cent of the budget can be predicted, the Government should be able to deal with any shocks which may occur during the fiscal year.

"If the budget exercise is done properly, it will have contingencies built into the budget for shocks. If other people have done it, I don't see why we can't do it. If we do things right, we can achieve it."
      Nice talk!
      ...just about impossible...unless Wehby is better at fore-telling the future than the infamous predictor of Portia's election win?!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Nice talk!
        ...just about impossible...unless Wehby is better at fore-telling the future than the infamous predictor of Portia's election win?!
        I've always heard the saying, "One fool lead many", but you people prove it is true day after day.

Comment

I've always heard the saying, "One fool lead many", but you people prove it is true day after day.
          Yeah...I know you guys can fore-tell among other things number of hurricanes next hurricane season...price of oil... ...

... and the Jamaican Dollar - strengthening back to the good old days of U$1.00 < J$1.00 right?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So how we had supplimentary budgets when we had no raise in oil price we still have supplimentary budget every three months under Omar?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Karl, Omar used the exchange rate as a reason for the exchange rate, but the follow up question missed Carol and Emily.

Remember the gov't drawn up the budget based on an exchange rate which is much more than what is current. Remember the current budget was done at $71 .. what was the rate in April?

Sometimes yuh need fi back off Karl.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                So how we had supplimentary budgets when we had no raise in oil price we still have supplimentary budget every three months under Omar?
                ...as long as ideas for development is on-going (year round - soemhow I do not think thinking on ways...and thus finding better ideas on 'the way forward' stops when the budget is presented...but, I could be wrong?) there shall be need for additional budgeting!

Comment

why budget then if you miss all the targets?

The budget suppose to include most of that developement. The idea is to plan ahead.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Don't let me blind your way forward, Lazie. I am not the reason why Jamaica is where it is.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Karl, Omar used the exchange rate as a reason for the exchange rate, but the follow up question missed Carol and Emily.

Remember the gov't drawn up the budget based on an exchange rate which is much more than what is current. Remember the current budget was done at $71 .. what was the rate in April?

Sometimes yuh need fi back off Karl.
                      ...and, the price of oil was projected to be? ...and, the claims expected from the unions was expected 'to be met at'?

...and, the projections for any 'new government seen as necessary to be dealt with now project' is?

Massa as we move along the dymanics of the economy...

...and the inter-action of that economy and people shift towards advances...

...and if it is one thing that we know - it is that progress has a price! ...unless you think 'brain' (thinking/planning, etc.) goes to sleep after an annual budget is presented only to awaken just in time to prepare next annual budget.
                      Last edited by Karl; January 10, 2008, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Don't let me blind your way forward, Lazie. I am not the reason why Jamaica is where it is.
                        Alright sah .. since yuh say suh.

Comment

Working...
                        X