X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow cable TV price to soar February 1

Flow cable TV price to soar February 1
    published: Thursday | January 10, 2008

Come next month, cable customers of the telecommunications firm Flow can expect a hike in rates for cable packages offered by the company.

As early as February 1, customers will have to pay, on average, 16 per cent more than they are now paying for their cable television packages.
    Jean McPherson, director of marketing at Flow, yesterday told The Gleaner that the rate increase is a result of the recent, gradual devaluation of the dollar.

"Our cable price increase is a function of two things," said Ms. McPherson. "For one, programme costs have increased and this has been exacerbated by the slide of the U.S. dollar."
    She added: "When we had developed our packages in 2006, the dollar was on average US$65 to J$1 and it has now suffered a nine to 10 per cent devaluation," she added.
    For example, customers of the basic package option, known as the Lifeline Package, which was previously offered at $650, can expect to pay more than $750.

In just over 18 months, the fast-growing conglomerate, in which billionaire investor, Michael Lee Chin has substantial ownership, has acquired control of some seven cable companies, most recently Kingston-based Allied Cablevision Limited.

FLOW's recent swift acquisition of several cable television companies and the granting of an islandwide cable licence by the Broadcast Commission has led many to argue that the multimillion-dollar firm's aim is to push small players out of the market and establish a monopoly.

The Broadcast Commission argued, however, that regulatory measures have been put in place to safeguard against the abuse of dominance by FLOW in Jamaica's subscriber television sector.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Flow cable TV price to soar February 1
    published: Thursday | January 10, 2008

In just over 18 months, the fast-growing conglomerate, in which billionaire investor, Michael Lee Chin has substantial ownership, has acquired control of some seven cable companies, most recently Kingston-based Allied Cablevision Limited.

FLOW's recent swift acquisition of several cable television companies and the granting of an islandwide cable licence by the Broadcast Commission has led many to argue that the multimillion-dollar firm's aim is to push small players out of the market and establish a monopoly.

The Broadcast Commission argued, however, that regulatory measures have been put in place to safeguard against the abuse of dominance by FLOW in Jamaica's subscriber television sector.

My! My!
    Going after greater market share is a surprise
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

lee Chin soon go inna the feed off a the back catergory like Butch and Burrell.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        My! My!
        Going after greater market share is a surprise
        Obviously you not following the news. If Flow ends up controlling the cable industry in Jamaica would that be a good thing?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          If Flow ends up controlling the cable industry in Jamaica would that be a good thing?
          I did not even go there!
          ...all I am saying is it shhould not have been a surprise that any player in a market goes after market dominance - which ofcourse means going at increased market share!

What is the point of not 'maximizing'?

Comment

Flow has used classic "bait and switch" marketing techniques....a basic package here consists of 0-100 of nonsense costing roughly about TT$300 or US$50 or JA$300....and there's nothing to watch...unless you have another channel....then the packages run up the bill...if you get sm sports, movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime) you'll be paying thru your nose....
            So...better to get sm good books, good music...dvd....
            The music channel has Reggae music...very good...

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              lee Chin soon go inna the feed off a the back catergory like Butch and Burrell.
              Whe di haters dem deh now? When is Butch dem run come a blow dem abeng and now silence. It's called business you clowns. Survival of the fittest.

Comment

I don't blame Lee Chin because he is a businessman, but monopolies are almost never good things for an industry in the long run. A few good competitors always helps.

Govt should keep an eye on this.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I thought HGTV went down good wit' yu?

FSC still in the basic package except anything live worthwhile watching is blocked.

Seriously, JA better off percentage increase-wise than TT, as, if you want what they've removed from the basic package put back, (forget new packages/channels), just add 50% to your monthly cost.

How much is Direct TV?

pr
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X