Karl, Lazie, OJ etc , re Obama have you ever heard of the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl, Lazie, OJ etc , re Obama have you ever heard of the

Tom Bradley effect? Don't know if this is what happened but here it is...

From wikipedia.org

The term Bradley effect or Wilder effect refers to a phenomenon which has led to inaccurate voter opinion polls in some American political campaigns between a white candidate and a non-white candidate.

Specifically, there have been instances in which statistically significant numbers of white voters tell pollsters in advance of an election that they are either genuinely undecided, or likely to vote for the non-white candidate, but those voters exhibit a different behavior when actually casting their ballots.

White voters who said that they were undecided break in statistically large numbers toward the white candidate, and many of the white voters who said that they were likely to vote for the non-white candidate ultimately cast their ballot for the white candidate. This reluctance to give accurate polling answers has sometimes extended to post-election exit polls as well.

Researchers who have studied the issue theorize that some white voters give inaccurate responses to polling questions because of a fear that they might appear to others to be racially prejudiced. Some research has suggested that the race of the pollster conducting the interview may factor into that concern. At least one prominent researcher has suggested that with regard to pre-election polls, the discrepancy can be traced in part by the polls' failure to account for general conservative political leanings among late-deciding voters.

Origin

The original term Bradley effect derives its name from a 1982 campaign involving Tom Bradley, the long-time mayor of Los Angeles, California. Bradley, who was black, ran as the Democratic party's candidate for Governor of California against Republican candidate George Deukmejian, who was white. The polls leading into the day of the election consistently showed Bradley with a lead.[4] However, Bradley narrowly lost the race. Post-election research indicated that a smaller percentage of white voters actually voted for Bradley than that which had said they planned to vote for him, and that voters who had been classified as "undecided" had gone to Deukmejian in statistically anomalous numbers.[2]

One month prior to the election, Bill Roberts, Deukmejian's campaign manager at that time, had predicted this behavior. He told reporters that he expected that Deukmejian could advance approximately five percentage points from what his poll numbers indicated, due to white voters giving inaccurate polling responses in order to conceal a racial prejudice. Roberts's comments were disavowed by Deukmejian, and the controversy that surrounded them ultimately led to Roberts's resignation.

Similar voter behavior was noted in the 1989 race for Governor of Virginia between black Democratic candidate L. Douglas Wilder and white Republican candidate Marshall Coleman. In that race, Wilder prevailed, but by less than half of one percent, despite pre-election poll numbers that showed an average lead for him of nearly nine percent. Again, the discrepancy was blamed on white voters who had told pollsters that they backed Wilder, but who did not actually vote for him. As a result of this race, some re-christened the "Bradley effect" as the "Wilder effect". Both terms are still used, each referring to the same dynamic, and less commonly, the term "Dinkins effect" is also used,[3] in reference to 1989 election of David Dinkins as Mayor of New York City over Rudy Giuliani
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

To summarise, when they are faced with the fact that a black man or a woman could actually occupy the White House, they forget everything and stick with colour first, gender second.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Its the first I've heard of this term. As a matter of fact on NNN this morning there was a discussion about the events and the American who was being interviewed put forward this as a potential factor for the surprize win by Hillary, but she didn't use that term.

Thanks boss, I just learn a new term.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

As a matter of fact, other factors that was put forward is that
        Obama sounds very similiar with Osama
        Bararck's middle name is the same of the late Iraqi leader .. Hussein
        There is speculation that he is a muslim and is hiding behind christianity.

Don't shoot the messenger ... it was on Nationwide this morning.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

i believe so...that is typical of the mentality and behaviour that i noticed over the years....people (read white people) would tell you about their black friends (i have many black friends and then would proceed to list every black person they know) but have never even THOUGHT about inviting them to dinner or worse if their son or daughter would want to date a black person.

the other thing is i do not trust these "undecided" yuh si how the high the undecided percentage is, they very much know how they will vote! is not no change of mind thing.

i would curious to know if there are statistics to show whether the number of undecided voters gets higher if there is a black candidate involved.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Those things have come up before.

A few months ago there was a rumour being planted that as a child he attended one of the fundamentalist musim schools in the Phllipines and so may be a "sleeper " planted by the terrorists. It was proven to be false but you can imagine what kind of stories will be circulated if he actually becomes the candidate.

I don't think they would have been a factor in throwing off the polls though.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Boss you don't need all that
              complicated stuff to explain things. Garvey spoke on this; read his works
              and then all these illusions around will be seen for what they are. It's not about race; check garvey's writings and you will undertsand (history was Garvey's tenet to address the issue)

Bob: "if you know your,history then you will know where you are coming from...."

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                i believe so...that is typical of the mentality and behaviour that i noticed over the years....people (read white people) would tell you about their black friends (i have many black friends and then would proceed to list every black person they know) but have never even THOUGHT about inviting them to dinner or worse if their son or daughter would want to date a black person.

the other thing is i do not trust these "undecided" yuh si how the high the undecided percentage is, they very much know how they will vote! is not no change of mind thing.

i would curious to know if there are statistics to show whether the number of undecided voters gets higher if there is a black candidate involved.
                You're talking about white undecided voters? Or undecided voters across the board? If its across the board I object. I'm an undecided voter at this point. There are arguments put forward by the 3 leading dems that I agree with ... and there is a certain potential independent candidate that I'm just waiting to hear mek an announcment for me to be even more undecided.

One thing I've decided already ... Gulliani NAAH GET MY VOTE.

Comment

I am a prophet but the problem is
                  I'm in my own land. Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    Boss you don't need all that
                    complicated stuff to explain things. Garvey spoke on this; read his works
                    and then all these illusions around will be seen for what they are. It's not about race; check garvey's writings and you will undertsand (history was Garvey's tenet to address the issue)

Bob: "if you know your,history then you will know where you are coming from...."
                    What mi notice .. when unuh nuh have nothing fi say unuh mek up noise bout Garvey. Lazie see thru unuh long time.

Comment

And when you add a line of Bob after a reference to Garvey, you caan go wrong!! Heh heh.

Comment

Boss it bettah unnuh tell mi say unnuh
                        nuh waan do di leg work an juss tell unnuh wha Garvey say.

But do nuh insult mi dem way deh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                          Boss it bettah unnuh tell mi say unnuh
                          nuh waan do di leg work an juss tell unnuh wha Garvey say.

But do nuh insult mi dem way deh.
                          Insult? There's a saying ... "the truth is an offense!" Remember, Lazie keep it real.

Comment

Re: Tom Bradley effect
                            I am sure some of that occurred!

...but, is there anyone here who does not believe that will happen to an even greater degree in the "red states"?
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe in the "red states" they would tell the pollsters straight up that them not voting for no n&*ger, so it is already reflected in the polls!

Comment

Working...
                              X