X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboard Top 10 Reggae Artistes of 2007

Billboard Top 10 Reggae Artistes of 2007

Monday, January 07, 2008

Billboard Magazine, oft referred to as the music 'Bible', released its Top 10 reggae artistes of 2007. And, of course, there are a few surprises. But then again, should we really be surprised that a Hasidic Jew from Pennsylvania, USA, is the Billboard Reggae Artiste of the Year? (Apparently the decision is based on sales and downloads of the artistes' music plus airplay in the US.)
    In 2006, Matisyahu (the artiste) released an album, Youth, which was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Reggae Album category the same year. The fact that it didn't win obviously had no negative effect on sales. Drawing on inspiration from reggae acts such as Luciano, Barrington Levy and Morgan Heritage, most of his songs are almost entirely in English with just a few words of Hebrew and Yiddish sprinkled in.
    His reggae vocal style is along the lines of traditional Rasta Roots stylings mixed with dub sounds, while the production of the tracks draws from King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, Mikey Dread, and Linval Thompson.
    No sooner than the list was published online, than the arguments started heating up. People have been asking why Mavado is absent; why is Collie Budz present and how is it that 'The Doctor' is all the way down at number 10? Hats off to all those who made the list, and to those who didn't - better luck in 2000&LOVE.
    Billboard Top 10 Reggae Artistes
    1 Matisyahu
    2 Bob Marley
    3 Stephen Marley
    4 Damian 'Jr Gong' Marley
    5 Sean Paul
    6 Bob Marley & The Wailers
    7 Collie Budz
    8 Buju Banton
    9 Notch
    10 Beenie Man
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

What crap!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Marley's...

are making some good music.

Comment

I stop listening to what billboard and some people who know nothing about reggae music speak of after them omitted Gangster bluses by Tanya as one of the strongest album.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          What crap!
          What about it is crap? BILLBOARD is based on album SALES full stop

Comment

Gangster Blues was Tanya's best album to date, and mi always impressed with her song writing skills.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

One of the best reggae albums in the last 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                One of the best reggae albums in the last 5 years
                Unfortunately the people who purchase CD's didn't think so.

Comment

With the poor state of Jamaican music I am not surprised. Arist like Beenie Man illustrate my point. The likes of Mavado ang Collie Budz are no better. It's about time Jamaica start promoting proper artist who are talented.
                  Wadadah (peace & love)

Comment

Actually Bricktop its the other way around. Its the idiots who download and dont purchase who big up certain music. I know of no one who bought Gangster blues who was not mesmerized by its quality. Up to last week a sistrin from Nevada was raving about it and I showed her the follow up CD. I tried to watch sting the other night and then I realised at 40 I am an old man. One bag a foolisness them promote. Most of the artsit should be put in a truck and dump at sea. They are terrible. Its funny how reggae has the most penetration now yet it may be at its weakest point. Thank god for Tarus Riley and a few others who is saying anything.

Comment

I stop listening to what billboard and some people who know nothing about reggae music speak of after them omitted Gangster bluses by Tanya as one of the strongest album.
                      OJ, based on your statement I will have to buy a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Delly's View Post
                        With the poor state of Jamaican music I am not surprised. Arist like Beenie Man illustrate my point. The likes of Mavado ang Collie Budz are no better. It's about time Jamaica start promoting proper artist who are talented.
                        Beenie Man is the saving grace for Danchall internationally. Don't mek mi haffi post up the Japanese concert again.

Comment

better late than never... tanya stephens last two albums gangsta blues and rebellution rank among the best reggae albums of the last 10 years...

i can say without doubt they are the best reggae albums by a female in the last 10 years... i don't even know which one i like the best... both excellent...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Actually Bricktop its the other way around. Its the idiots who download and dont purchase who big up certain music. I know of no one who bought Gangster blues who was not mesmerized by its quality. Up to last week a sistrin from Nevada was raving about it and I showed her the follow up CD. I tried to watch sting the other night and then I realised at 40 I am an old man. One bag a foolisness them promote. Most of the artsit should be put in a truck and dump at sea. They are terrible. Its funny how reggae has the most penetration now yet it may be at its weakest point. Thank god for Tarus Riley and a few others who is saying anything.
                            Well yes but my point was that TANYA had just as much or more opportunity to move big numbers and she failed to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                              better late than never... tanya stephens last two albums gangsta blues and rebellution rank among the best reggae albums of the last 10 years...

i can say without doubt they are the best reggae albums by a female in the last 10 years... i don't even know which one i like the best... both excellent...
                              With a statement like that, now I'll have to go out and buy it. I think the best Reggae CD that I have listen to/bought and will chop off fingers if someone tries to steal it it, is Junior Gong's Welcome to Jamrock. Every cut on the album is a classic. My 14 y-o daughter who is all into the hip-hop culture loves it, especially the 1st cut featuring Bunny Wailer and Haile Selassie's speech. Where can i get a Tami or a Tessane Chin/Chynn's album to buy? I think these sisters are a breath of fresh air to Reggae music and should be heavily promoted at all cost. I have tried searching the internet for their albums but nothing. Do they even have albums or just singles?
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X