X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Goulbourne — A Jamrock Man

READING YOUR WRITES By Beverley East

Ray Goulbourne — A Jamrock Man

When I am in Jamaica, I always, always go to Diane’s for Sunday brunch. It is without a doubt the best brunch in Kingston. Not only is the food excellent but also I often run into the most interesting people there. It’s my spot…home away from home.

n several occasions when I am there, Ray Goulbourne has also been there dinning. When Diane introduced us I thought to myself, wow this American man sure loves my Jamaica. Ray talks with conviction in a soft voice on many issues. He is charming, he is interesting; he is humble and easy on the eyes.

As you all know I am a supporter of the Institute of Caribbean Studies; I go to their gala every year. I don’t even look on the programme because it doesn’t matter who the honorees are because I am going anyway. I sell tickets to everyone that crosses my path. This year, I invited my Aunt Tess from Florida to join us. She loved it.

Anyway the night before the event, I finally looked at the programme and apart from Toots (who was featured in this column two weeks ago) another recipient was Ray Goulbourne (although the photo in the programme does him no justice.) Raymond was receiving an award for outstanding contributions to Corporate America. Not only did I scream and jump up and down with joy but I also learnt he is one of us — a Jamrock Man. No wonder him so cool!

What makes Raymond tick?
    The right stroke tells us that Raymond is a man that is ruled by his heart. Catch him if you can as he moves at the speed of light. His ‘t’s tell us that. He is very goal directed as demonstrated by the ‘t’ bar crossed high on the stem. He has an analytical mind and accepts no information at face value. Raymond has a question for everything and the ‘m’s and ‘n’s in each word demonstrate this.

Although friendly he really likes his own company and is very selective with the company he keeps. The slender loops in the ‘y’ and ‘g’s tell us so. He is highly critical of himself and the ‘i’ dots especially in the word ‘prestigious’ is evident of that.

The spacing between his letters shows us that he often makes a decision on a gut feeling and he is highly intuitive. The ‘t’ bars crossed upwards show that he is a complete optimist.

Your secrets are safe with Ray. The closed letters tell us he speaks on a need to know basis, keeping the majority of his thoughts locked in his mind and his emotions in his heart. The true Ray rarely shows how he feels; those emotions are tightly locked away.

He has a tendency to stretch himself too thin trying to be all things to all people. Tenacious to a fault he sticks to his beliefs and his opinions until the opponent backs down. However, with no aggressive tone his persuasiveness will make you melt. A gentle soul the pressure of his handwriting is evidence of this.

Peek into profile

If you don’t know who Ray Goulbourne is then take a peek into his profile. Of course, a lot is missing; his achievements cannot all be recorded in this short space.

A son of the Jamaican soil, Raymond “Ray” Goulbourne is executive vice president of Black Entertainment Television (BET), the six billion dollar media conglomerate owned by Viacom Inc. A sales and marketing professional, Mr Goulbourne is responsible for almost 50 per cent of BET’s total revenue.

Previously he served as senior vice president and vice president of BET, the oldest and largest cable network providing black programming via multiple platforms to more than 87 million homes with black and non-black viewers. Mr. Goulbourne joined the historic BET almost 16 years ago after stints with CBS and ABC Networks.

He has been active in the civic and political arenas. He is a past president of B.R.A.I.N.U, a prominent communications organisation for minorities in the tri-state area and also a co-founder of Concerned Black Men (NY Chapter). Mr Goulbourne is past president of the Manhattan Valley Townhouse, a much talked about enclave in historic Harlem.
    He was also past vice chairman of Upliftment Jamaica a non-profit organisation dedicated to transforming the lives of the people of St Thomas. He has also played an important role on the committee to elect Judge Samuel Walker, the first Jamaican appointed to the New York State Supreme Court.

Currently Mr Goulbourne chairs the student selection committee of the Louis Carr Foundation, a nonprofit organisation giving paid internships to minority students of historical African American Colleges. He received his Business Degree from McGill University in Montreal and completed work for a Masters in Business from Long Island University. Mr Goulbourne is also a graduate of Calabar High School. It was said that he walked 20 miles to school to take an exam.

Congratulations on your award, Mr. Goulbourne. I hope it sits in an auspicious place amongst your many other awards.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

btw beverly east is a relative of mine...her speciality is handwriting analysis...i.e. more than just a handwriting expert.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Diane's ? where is that ?

I thought the best place for lunch was Bustamante's old house off mountain view ave called Alahambra Inn.

I need to check out this new spot.

Comment

No, the best place(s) for lunch is either Hot Pot or on the verandah at Four Seasons hotel. Well, unless you have the time to make the drive to Jolly's on Port Henderson Road in Portmore.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
          No, the best place(s) for lunch is either Hot Pot or on the verandah at Four Seasons hotel. Well, unless you have the time to make the drive to Jolly's on Port Henderson Road in Portmore.
          Actually Farmah I meant BRUNCH, typo. been to hot pot and Jolly's is arite.

Speaking of which we really need a good restaurant guide for kingston.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
            Diane's ? where is that ?

I thought the best place for lunch was Bustamante's old house off mountain view ave called Alahambra Inn.

I need to check out this new spot.
            You can't go wrong wid the food @ Alhambra To top it off the proprietor is a schoolmate of mine. Brunch on Sunday - still licking my lips.
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
              You can't go wrong wid the food @ Alhambra To top it off the proprietor is a schoolmate of mine. Brunch on Sunday - still licking my lips.

The best part is the tour after where you can see all the old time Jamaican products and household item.....like the coal iron and things from that era.

Comment

So you know we not serious bout tourism and making more money
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep - she's has put a whole lot of work into those artificats! If yuh ever have anything from long long time - yuh can donate it. It's a nice journey into the past.
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    So you know we not serious bout tourism and making more money
                    ???????? what u mean ??

Comment

We need to have updated resturant guide for both local and foriegners. A long time mi nuh do the Kingston curciut and there maybe many decent resturants where if I wanted a bite I should just look in a guide and see. You have people who visit and the only thing them get is what family or friend tell them bout.

Some of the resturants you guys calling I didn't even know exited and I am not a stranger to Kingston and still spend time there whenever I visit Ja. The last time was 2 years ago. I can just imagine other people who don't live a Kingston may miss out on some of the fine dining.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        We need to have updated resturant guide for both local and foriegners. A long time mi nuh do the Kingston curciut and there maybe many decent resturants where if I wanted a bite I should just look in a guide and see. You have people who visit and the only thing them get is what family or friend tell them bout.

Some of the resturants you guys calling I didn't even know exited and I am not a stranger to Kingston and still spend time there whenever I visit Ja. The last time was 2 years ago. I can just imagine other people who don't live a Kingston may miss out on some of the fine dining.
                        Yea but tourist no really come town more than so and most of the foriegners either live or a business people visiting who have a local taking them somewhere.
                        Plus is only recently epople start really eat out but yes the time has come for one.

Maybe Zagat while start including us.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                          Damn! Someone here who knows Hot Pot.
                          Question: Did you know it when it was named The Hole? ...or, better yet...Farmah yuh approaching "Shady Pines"-like age? ....mmm? Yuh ova 60?
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Two things, your concept of tourist is different from mine. From you a visitor even if you a Jamaican living overseas and come home you are tourist, and you might surprise to find out the amount of tourist(Traditional) that pass through Kingston, especially especially Europeans who are more interested in culture and going places as oppose to the average American.

Comment

Well Sass - next time you're there head for Sunday brunch @ Alhambra.
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X