• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its obama in iowa...

pleasant surprise here...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Congrats Barak!!
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Impossible! You mean that American voters in a 95% white state voted for a black man with a muslim name?

Must be a miscount. Certain forumites will tell you that America is too racist and intolerant for that!
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

what does this victory really mean?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Other than that it is clear that a black man can be taken a serious candidate for president in predominantly white states, not a lot more at this stage.

My politics are closer to Hilary than Obama as he is a bit too liberal for me when it comes to fiscal policies, but I can help but cheer for him and what he represents.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
            pleasant surprise here...
            Good going by Obama!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Black Man Time ?

Comment

i-man...remember that this is a party vote and yes it is a surprise. it really means that those southern baptist belt democrats would prefer a black man over a woman...didn't edwards beat her too? and edwards really does not have any kind of platform.

i think that the republicans prefer to run against obama.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Some forumites do not understand American politics. Black persons have won Statewide races where the percentage of non-white population is very small.

There are several examples, Massachusetts (Governor), Virginia (Governor), & Illinois (Senators).
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

True. I lived there for several years so I think I have some understanding. But yes, some forumites, even those who lived in the states since the 80s, don't understand American politics.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The victory needs to be put in perspective. Last night I received several text messages and phone calls from people who were excited that Obama won Iowa. But there are 49 other States races to go
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I think the republicans will prefer him too. If he is the nominee I expect him to have a bigger obstacle with his name/background than his race.

There are already seeds being planted about him possiibly being a "Manchurian Candidate" for the terrorists and as ridiculous as this may seem, I have learnt to never underestimate the political stupidity of the average voter.

He has surprised me a lot so far though, so who knows maybe he has the magic to overcome that too.

Comment

All things equal(gender and colour not an issue), Obama should win, but I really believe Edwards is going to win as America has not arrived... and the Republicans are going to retain the WH with Huckeberry(sp).Obviously the polls were wrong.

Blessed

Comment

For me it is like saying slave without mentioning the word oppressor.
                            Akin to saying black man time without calling for the rescuing of the enclaved minds diseased by biases.

Blessed

Comment

No way Rockman.

I am willing to bet you that Edwards CANNOT win the Democratic nomination. Having lost in Iowa he has NO chance. He is almost out of money and the race has just begun.

If the Huckleberry guy wins the Republican nomination, which is almost impossible because he has little support in the big non-evangelical states, he will be destroyed by whoever is the Democrat in the race. He is a spolier more than anything else.

The Republicans will go with McCain or Romney, though Guliani is a wildcard. However any of these 3 have a more than decent chance of winning against Hilary or Obama.

Most if not all of this will be resolved by the end of Feburary.

By the way, which polls were wrong? Huckleberry was seen as a likely winner in Iowa for weeks. His margin of victory was larger than expected but he was always a contender. Also Obama was always in the race against Hilary but also won bigger than expected. Polls are a fluid thing that can only measure response on a given day, nothing more nothing less.

Comment

Working...
                              X