RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mike Henry right about Virgin Atlantic deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Mike Henry right about Virgin Atlantic deal?

Was Mike Henry right about Virgin Atlantic deal?

Reports have emerged that the loss-making Italian national carrier, Alitalia, recently fetched a record sum of more than 30 million pounds sterling for a pair of prime take-off/landing slots at Heathrow airport in London, England. This was part of 92 million euros (67 million pounds), which Alitalia pulled in from three separate deals involving nearly a quarter of its Heathrow slots.
    The record deal sharply contrasted the US$5 million which Air Jamaica recently fetched for some of its prime slots at the same airport from Virgin Atlantic Airways in a deal, which was brokered under the previous People’s National Party (PNP) administration and has since been supported by the present Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) government.
    Of immediate significance was that anything like the amount taken in from the Alitalia deal could have impacted significantly on Air Jamaica’s extensive debt portfolio. Similarly, assertions from numerous quarters that Virgin boss, Sir Richard Branson, must have laughed all the way to the bank with the Air Jamaica deal have no doubt picked up credence.
    The position taken by Transport & Works Minister Mike Henry on the Virgin Atlantic deal cost him the Air Jamaica portfolio. This was after he vehemently opposed the deal, contending that his research had pointed to the US$5 million price as a “giveaway” to the British carrier. He insisted that the new government should fully review the deal it inherited, including the entire financial and logistical implications, plus all the available options, before deciding on the Virgin deal. But instead, Henry’s stand-off, including him snubbing Branson on the latter’s arrival in Jamaica on the inaugural Virgin flight to Jamaica under the deal, resulted in Prime Minister Bruce Golding abruptly relieving the transport minister of the responsibility for Air Jamaica.
    ‘Open Skies’ treaty
    Henry had postured the position that intense competition for take-off and landing slots at Heathrow — one of the world’s most congested airports, which handles more than 67 million passengers a year on only two runways — was sharply sending up the value of the slots. This he tied to the ‘Open Skies’ treaty, which was negotiated earlier this year, and is to come into effect at the end of March 2008.
    From that date, the treaty will grant any US or European carrier the right to fly from any point in the US to any point in the European Union (EU), thereby ending previous anti-competition restrictions. The restrictions had, in the case of Heathrow airport, limited access to the lucrative direct routes between Heathrow and the US to only four airlines — British Airways and Virgin Atlantic from the United Kingdom (UK), and American Airlines and United Airlines from the US.
    True to Henry’s assertions, reports out of London have confirmed that the value of take-off and landing slots at Heathrow has more than doubled within the last two years. Demand was said to have been strong from not only US carriers but also from fast-rising airlines from India and the Middle East, and from home-based UK carriers like British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
    Even more than Henry predicted, the price for a prime pair of daily peak hour early morning slots — the hours most convenient for services arriving from the US —0 has climbed above 30 million pound sterling.
    Efforts to get a comment from Henry proved futile yesterday, as he was reported to be travelling overseas. However, in a letter to a local newspaper last week, he stated that he had got past the disappointment he had over the outcome of his stance on the Air Jamaica/Virgin deal.
    Political watchers, in commenting on the Alitalia deal, pointed to what they suggested was a clear indication of the informed and astute approach that was taken by Minister Henry, which they said had now left the country to ponder how things could have gone had his position been at least fully accommodated by the government.
    GO BACK
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Perhaps, but a deal is deal.

What's weird is the fight for a Heathrow slot, one of the worst airports in the world.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But its also the "best" airport hub in the world.

If a deal is a deal, then we have to flog Omar for making this pathetic deal. He needs to go take the CAPE exam!!!

Comment

No deal is a deal!

People have to be held accountable

no matter how they all laugh at us as we refuse to do the simple little things like research

Comment

Yes, Omar probably screwed it up by selling it for peanuts, but Henry can't now want to break the deal and act like a spoilt brat when he doesn't get his way.

Airport slots is only a small section of the CAPE. Audley needs to pass the finance section!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not just screwed up. This should be investigated. Don't tell me them never do an assessment. That is over 25 million US dollars of tax payer's money just like that.

Davis consulted with nobody while British Airways along with others wanted the slot to buy.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

wha happen brethren?

give I a link nuh

Comment

Investigated for what? To determine how stupid the deal was?!? Or do we feel he made of with some millions and left the govt with a paltry $5M? And what do you mean that is $25M of taxpayers money? Plesae answer directly.

Not sure if Davis "consulted with nobody".

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If the slot can be sold for 30 million and it is sold for 5 million then it is 25 million of tax payer's money, isn't it?

Yes they need to investigate to see if anybody was bribed or what was the other offer by BA. It is not stupid it was deliberate.

Comment

Air J chairman, OK Melhado, Pickersgill and Davies were all in on the deal. Pickersgill was wrenk to say he had nothing to say about it when it happened. Afterall, it wasn't a private venture.

If I remember correctly, BA was given a chance at the offer. But, to date, I'm not sure if we ever heard what the BA offer was.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you know BA was very upset right? They think they didn't get a fair chance to compete.

Figet Pickergill, he has any objectivity in him? I don't know much about OK and I won't comment on what he decided but it is impossible to just get up and sell this slot for below 60% of its value.

Comment

Oh, you just want Omar's scalp, right?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No, I am just surpised that him coulda make such a deal.
                          It nuh matter if a Omar, Audley or who but them can't just have fire sale just like that because that is a big chunk of revenue that was given away.

Comment

assasin your number is in my other phone so link me at 714-418-7632

Comment

Working...
                            X