CASH PLUS BARRED - FSC issues cease-and-desist order agains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASH PLUS BARRED - FSC issues cease-and-desist order agains

CASH PLUS BARRED - FSC issues cease-and-desist order agains investment scheme
    published: Saturday | December 29, 2007

Hill

Mark Beckford and Athaliah Reynolds, Staff Reporters

The Financial Services Commission (FSC) yesterday issued cease-and-desist orders on th investment scheme Cash Plus, its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Carlos Hill and Kahlil Harris.

The order has come days after a ruling by the Supreme Court against other investment schemes - Olint and LewFam - which stated that their activities were seen as the business of investment under the ambit of the law and as such the FSC had the power to oversee their operations.

Far-reaching implications
    This ruling had implications for other investment schemes, as the FSC could proceed against others which were deemed to be resistant to its offer to register their activities.

The FSC said that its decision taken against Cash Plus was based on investigations it conducted.

According to a statement from the FSC, based on its own investigations, the principals of Cash Plus "have been engaged in securities activities in breach of sections 7 and 10 of the Securities Act. Section 7 of the act prohibits the carrying on of a securities business without being licensed as a securities dealer by the FSC".

Section 10 of the act prohibits an individual from carrying out the functions of a dealer's representative without first being registered for that purpose by the FSC.

The Securities Act requires persons who issue securities to be registered. The act also requires that persons who deal in securities be licensed as securities dealers.

Yesterday's cease-and-desist order issued by the FSC demands that "Cash Plus Ltd. et al immediately stop conducting securities business, including soliciting and accepting loans with members of the public until Cash Plus is licensed by the FSC".

A demand was also made for Kahlil Harris to stop carrying out functions as a dealer's representative or holding himself out as a dealer's representative unless and until he is registered with the FSC.

The FSC said that failure to stop these activities is an offence under section 68(7) of the act and is punishable upon conviction by a fine or imprisonment or both.

Cash Plus has been at the centre of much controversy recently, as it came under intense pressure from financial regulatory authorities and commercial banks.

Just last month, the FSC wrote to the company demanding financial information, including the location of its assets. After some delay, a report was submitted by Cash Plus, however FSC officials said it failed to provide much of the information that was requested.

Suspicious funds
    It was also reported that some financial institutions had taken an apparent decision to report as suspicious, all funds that came to them through what they described as "unregistered schemes" as allowed under the Money Laundering Act.

In November, at least one bank issued circulars to its employees warning that they should be on the lookout for customer transactions involving such organisations.

It was argued by investors of Cash Plus that financial institutions were conspiring to "get rid of the competition".
    Cash Plus is among the most visible of a slew of institutions, that have sprung up in Jamaica in recent years, inviting people to put cash with them, and offering returns of up to 200 per cent a year.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

FSC moves against Cash Plus
    Regulator orders alternative investment scheme to cease activities
    PAUL HENRY, Observer staff reporter
    editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, December 29, 2007

Alternative investment scheme Cash Plus Limited was yesterday ordered by the Financial Services Commission (FSC) to immediately cease and desist its securities trading activities until it obtained the required licence.

The orders also requires that Cash Plus immediately stop soliciting and accepting loans.

The financial regulatory body made its move on Cash Plus following lengthy investigations which it said revealed that the unlicensed entity was trading in securities contrary to the Securities Act. Cash Plus chief Carlos Hill and Khalil Harris, the FSC said, have been engaged in securities activities that breached sections 7 and 10 of the Securities Act.

According to the FSC, Cash Plus has also breached section 26 of the Act as the securities being offered to the public have been issued without being registered by the Commission.

"Failure to stop these activities is an offence under section 68(7) of the Act and is punishable upon conviction by a fine or imprisonment or both," the FSC said in a news release yesterday.

The Securities Act requires persons who issue securities to be registered. The Act also states that persons who deal in securities must be licensed as securities dealers.

The orders came just four days after the Supreme Court on Monday ruled in favour of the FSC in its highly publicised legal battle to compel popular foreign exchange entities Olint Corporation and LewFam Limited to acquire the requisite licence if they are to legally continue their operations.
    A hearing to determine if Cash Plus should be compelled by the FSC to register is scheduled to start on January 23, 2008.

Cash Plus has maintained that it should not be forced to register as it does not trade in securities.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The FSC shouldn't wait until now to go up against these organization. This should have been done about 3 years ago. They made these organization set up themselves as legitimate companies do and carry out business for this long and all of a sudden them wake up?

The people who lose goiing to blame them and rightfully so. If IMF, World Bank and other international organization never warn them no action would have been taken.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Willi, what's your take?

All I can say is ...paying 10% per month, cannot be sustainable can it?

pr
        Peter R

Comment

The fact is FSC is saying they are illegal entities so you want tell me a just 3 month ago them know that. How can you make an illegal entity become as big as your bank and even bigger than some before taking action? Something nuh right about the whole thing. These people have been trading without a license for 5 years? mek you or me try that fi a day.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How does all this affect the Cash Plus Premier League?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Seems to me like some people done mek dem money so dem nuh care nuh more.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

them a go tun penniless

All me can say is Seaga them better get pon di phone fast.

Comment

Working...
                X