• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican gets pardoned

December 22, 2007
    Spitzer Pardons Ex-Convict to Spare Him Deportation

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
    Gov. Eliot Spitzer announced the pardon on Friday of a 54-year-old Brooklyn man convicted of robbery 16 years ago, saying the pardon would spare the man from being deported to Jamaica.
    The man, Frederick Lake, entered the United States legally in 1987, but was facing deportation under a federal statute that calls for the removal of a lawful alien who is convicted of an aggravated felony. Although convicted of robbery in 1991 and released from prison in 1997, Mr. Lake has long maintained his innocence, and a judicial inquiry suggested that he might have been the victim of a miscarriage of justice.
    Mr. Spitzer said he issued the pardon at least in part so that Mr. Lake, who suffers from heart disease and diabetes, could remain with his wife and two young sons in East Flatbush, where he has lived since his release from prison 10 years ago.
    “Mr. Lake has fully served the sentence imposed upon him for his robbery conviction,” Mr. Spitzer said in a statement. “He had a perfect disciplinary record while in prison, he has had no other arrests or convictions during his lifetime, and he has been living safely and without incident in the community for the last 10 years.
    “No purpose would be served by separating Mr. Lake from his many family members who are United States citizens,” Mr. Spitzer added.
    Mr. Lake was arrested and charged with robbing a payroll company in Inwood, on Long Island, in 1989. At his trial in 1991, three people testified that Mr. Lake had committed the crime, even though the suspect was initially described as short and stocky and wearing an earring, and Mr. Lake was nearly 6 feet tall and did not have a pierced ear. He also produced airline tickets and passenger manifests that showed he had flown to Jamaica several days before the robbery and returned months later.
    “Lawyers dream about cases like this,” said one of Mr. Lake’s lawyers, John Lewis. “And it’s just an enormous privilege to be able to be there, and I think that Governor Spitzer has a lot of courage doing this. It would be hard to find a more worthy subject than Frederick Lake for this distinction.”
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Hmmm, I wonder if Giuliani would have done same?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Guiliani was mayor, so has no such power!!

The real issue isd how you can convict a man for a crime when he was not even in the country when it was committed!

America can be so warped at times.

Comment

Talk about justice...the man was in prison. Why were the tickets not taken as evidence? Was there not appeal? No opportunity to sue the state?

Comment

Dont draw my tongue, Exile!! LoL

The whole thing got me upset reading it.

Comment

The whole case is travesty of justice, and I would not be surprised if he was convicted by an all-white jury. The case should not even have come to trial, since there was insufficient evidence to convict him.

Eyewitness reports tend to be shady, especially if the eyewitness is a white person, and the accused is black. Eyewitness evidence alone should not put someone behind bars, especially since there was so much reasonable doubt in this case.

There have been instances where cops see black men with cell phones & wallets, and perceived those items to be guns.

At his trial in 1991, three people testified that Mr. Lake had committed the crime, even though the suspect was initially described as short and stocky and wearing an earring, and Mr. Lake was nearly 6 feet tall and did not have a pierced ear. He also produced airline tickets and passenger manifests that showed he had flown to Jamaica several days before the robbery and returned months later.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Good one Willi...I see you are in good spirits...all the best!

Comment

Yes, Xmas spirit

But this travesty threaten to spoil it.

American justice system can be sooo subjective!

Comment

The prosecution probably argued that the tickets were an alibi set-up.

I suspect it must now be almost impossible to conclusively prove his innocence (and sue dem fi a money).

pr
                  Peter R

Comment

What about Jamaican immigration records...or even the stamp in his passport!

Comment

Can anyone trust that really?

Comment

You can easily buy a stamp in your passport by bribing a custom officer. However for the most part I would think that the overwhelming majority of stamps are legitimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          You can easily buy a stamp in your passport by bribing a custom officer. However for the most part I would think that the overwhelming majority of stamps are legitimate.
                          You have ticket, you have stamp, you have American customs form on re-entry...not sure if they stamp citizens re-enetring America. Did he use credit card in Jamaica??

The paper trail should be more than adequate.

Comment

Working...
                          X