RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Symbolic of why The Rock is in problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symbolic of why The Rock is in problems...

Why educated Jamaicans remain overseas
    published: Sunday | December 23, 2007

After almost five months of rigorous job hunting and with a genuine desire to become one of the future leaders of Jamaica, I decided to share a letter that I have written, with my fellow Jamaicans here and abroad, in an effort to encourage them to voice their concerns to the Government pertaining to the issue of highly qualified Jamaicans being unable to get a job after returning home. I don't think it is being recognised as a growing epidemic. The letter is as follows:
    My fellow Jamaicans, how can Jamaica move from being a developing to a developed country when Jamaicans who decide to return home after successfully completing their master's and doctorate degrees are not offered employment?
    I am a 27-year-old female who returned home in August 2007 after graduating from one of the highly recognised universities in the United States with a master's degree in food science. It has been almost five months and I have not been able to get a job. I find this very disheartening and frustrating as I believe that the area of study that I have chosen would be very beneficial to Jamaica as it is a rapidly growing field that is in high demand worldwide.
    During my study of food science, I did a variety of courses which included food chemistry, food analysis, nutritional sciences, food microbiology, post-harvest technology of fruits and vegetables, food processing and packaging, aseptic processing technology, food ingredient technology, food biotechnology and better process control, which is actually FDA certified.
    I was so excited in returning home to Jamaica as I have a genuine interest in the development of my country.
    After graduation, I was confident that with my training I would be able to assist in the production of safe and nutritious food items for my fellow Jamaicans, and also to assist the local food companies to become more competitive in the international market.
    I strongly believe that Jamaica's food products and resources are not being marketed effectively because there is not adequate attention being directed towards ensuring their presence, safety and nutritional value. Therefore, I chose the field of food science with the intention of helping to break those barriers so that Jamaica's food products and resources could be internationally recognised and desired.
    Lack of jobs
    During my studies overseas, I also encouraged my fellow Jamaicans, who were in various graduate fields all over the United States, to return home after completing their studies, as their skills would be very beneficial to Jamaica's development. This was done in an effort to help secure Jamaica's future, as I am very passionate about my country and its success, and I am hoping to become intimately involved in the future of Jamaica. They, however, expressed that they had no desire to return home with the escalation of crime and violence and economic turmoil. They also strongly believe that with their educational background, Jamaica would not be able to offer them suitable jobs and compensation.
    So, when are we going to do something about this increasing epidemic of our educated Jamaican people who have no desire to return home because of this lack of jobs and compensation? When are statements such as, "You are overqualified for the position", going to be obsolete? Are we forever to remain in the shadows of developed countries and continuously lose our educated and skilled people to them?
    I have very high hopes and dreams for Jamaica, but how can I be of assistance if I am not given the opportunity to do so? How can I effectively convince my fellow educated and qualified Jamaicans to return home and help to develop our home if I cannot even get job interviews? I have applied to over 30 food and beverage companies in Jamaica as well as government agencies, and I have only received two job interviews, neither of which resulted in employment offers.
    Code red alert
    But with the several résumés that I delivered, I was completely positive that with my field I should be able to get a job and start my career. I know that if I had remained in the United States, I would have had a job upon graduation as did my fellow classmates. Companies and government agencies conducted recruitment campaigns at the university that I attended, as well as other select universities, in an effort to find suitable candidates. I was not apprehensive about returning home as I was confident that my field would be highly desired and utilised effectively.
    Being home and still unemployed after almost five months of rigorous job hunting and with a genuine desire to become one of the future leaders of Jamaica, I decided to write a letter to the Prime Minister of Jamaica, the Honourable Bruce Golding, explaining my concern, thereby hoping that the Government would decide to put this grave concern into code red alert.
    We encourage our people to further their educational career, but what is Jamaica prepared to offer the relatively few that actually decide to do so? I sincerely believe that without our educated population contributing to our country, we cannot move towards being a developed country. I also decided to share this letter with my fellow Jamaicans, here and abroad, in an effort to encourage you all to voice your concerns to the Government pertaining to this issue as I don't think it is being recognised as a growing epidemic.
    I am, etc.,
    FRUSTRATED JAMAICAN growingepidemic@yahoo.com

But she couldn't start a little sumthing sumthing on the side while looking for a job? Se have the education and the qualification.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Or she can accept an offer from abroad.

Jamaica needs to realize that it is a competitive world out there. Does Jamaica really want her talents? I said WANT, not NEED.

Comment

assasin!!!
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I hope she hurry back to America Mosiah.

She will learn that it's useless to beat a dead jack-ass!!
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

wha mi nuh now bass?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yuh nuh duh nutten bass... i had tuh run...

i was going to add that not everybody have de start up capital... but de govt should have a need fi her offering... in fact there should be great demand for her skill set at that level, both pvt and public...

Comment

willi, iz de same ole companies who want to continue fi duh de same tings in de same way... nuff a dem nuh want people wid new ideas and approach to bizniz...

she might be better off which part she earn har degree...

Comment

Mi nah talk bout nothing big, just some little consulting on the side. Take out a small ad inna a paper. Something on the side until the big one cometh. She is educated and something will come but in the meanwhile she can't throw up her hand. The kinda skill she has many will die for.

A nuh nothing, mi just wanted fi hear whe you a say still.

Comment

Sass,

Baddaz is correct.

Jamaican people talk big, but when is show time, whey dem deh?

Without nuff BIG-TIME contacts, the consultancy idea still-born. Even if she manage to get engagements, will she even collect her money? Too much bandooloo.

Furthermore, not everyone has the enterpreneurial chip in their makeup. Some are born technocrats.

Sad to say, but a convicted criminal with even sketchy financial credentials stands a MUCH bettter chance of financial success than people with solid productive skills and learnings. I mean to say, Jamaica should be an agro/food superpower, and we have people like this going to waste.

Comment

While it is true what you say but without the entreprenueral skill we are doomed. Brethren Ackee a sell fi $12.00 a can and we a bawl fi hungry? Julie Mango can be found on not one shelf inna the US.

As you say if yu nuh have the contact you will have to wait a long time. Yes mi know bout the bandolooism but still think she may want to try something because as usual we miss the boat when it comes to young people who are not politically connected.

Comment

Or she could persist and help her country. I did. It took me 8 months before I got something. Depends on how much one really wants to help. I have no regrets. Every job I do here I feel like I am helping my country advance. There is a feeling of immense satisfaction. I never got that feeling when I was in the USA, no matter how fancy or important that project was, and I had worked on some high profile ones.

So, don't try and discourage anyone, HL.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Or she could persist and help her country. I did. It took me 8 months before I got something. Depends on how much one really wants to help. I have no regrets. Every job I do here I feel like I am helping my country advance. There is a feeling of immense satisfaction. I never got that feeling when I was in the USA, no matter how fancy or important that project was, and I had worked on some high profile ones.

So, don't try and discourage anyone, HL.
                          8 months... a damn disgrace! Good thing ou had patience!

Comment

This is just plain silly; why
                            fight with JA. Everyone on entering school (in the US) may have the dream of returning and contributing. Alas reality sets in and this is not so;
                            one has to be connected or have name (slavery and plantation mentality).

Take your qualified self and find a job here in the states earn your money and leave them alone. The Jakans back home don't even think you coming from abroad know anything (they know more than you, and may have to learn a thing or two from them). Regardless of your background; once you have proven yourself respect will come your way. I don't think Jakans want anyone back home (they are manipulated into this kind of mentality, for obvious reasons). If one has to write the PM for a job then something is seriously wrong. One must aloso note that not all the training one recieves in a devlepoed country can be applied in a developing country.

This is my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X