Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union President warns of rocky wage battles ahead

Thursday, 20 December 2007
    President of the National Workers Union (NWU) Vincent Morrison is warning that 2008 could be a turbulent period on the industrial relations scene.

Reacting to inflation figures released Wednesday by STATIN, Mr. Morrison argued that with inflation at 14 per cent the Trade Unions will not be accepting any single digit increases next year.

"The cost of living, the movement in inflation are the number one objective criteria that we use in settling contracts. You can't expect us to settle contracts in single digits when inflation is 15 or 16 per cent. The benchmark is going to be inflation; that is the measuring stick we are going to use," said Mr. Morrison.

He warned that the proposed Public Sector Memorandum of Understanding faces serious challenges.

"I certainly in the sugar negotiations that are coming up, I am seeing some problems. And certainly in the public sector MOU for government workers I am seeing some problems and we are hoping we can find a formula to protect the workers purchasing power," he continued.

He is suggesting that the government holds emergency talks with members of the private sector to roll back some of the prices.

He pointed to Barbados where the government has been able to convince its private sector to roll back prices on food items.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X