Spruce up Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spruce up Jamaica

The 'Spruce Up Jamaica' campaign, undertaken by the Ministry of Tourism is a good start to national effort to beautify and uplift the aura of our rural and urban environments. This programme should be sustained beyond the set time frame, and should also be extended to what is considered non-tourist areas - all places have potential.

We must spruce up Jamaica for ourselves before we can truly come forward with confidence to promote it as a paradise for visitors. This, therefore, will have implications for creating a 'sprucing-up synergy' among local government, NGOs, community groups and the relevant agencies of central government. The 'sprucing up' effort over the long term must be aided by a full consciousness of pressing environmental issues facing our country, because without this, any sprucing up effort or campaign can be deemed hypocritical and piecemeal. We must aim for holistic efforts at all times.

The sprucing up message is a good one; let us support it, not only for tourism, but for each other and spread the message further.

- Mark B. F. Pike, President, UWI Tourism Society, mark@cct-jamaica.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I'm curious how this project is going.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

We need to do more than "spruce up". We need to be taught the basics of not littering the place and the consequences when we do litter, or wi going to be sprucing up every 5 years, or for the rest of our lives. That shouldn't be. Practice good hygiene, cleanliness and respect for our communities every day and we wouldn't have to treat something as basic as "not littering" as a project.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well said
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          We need to do more than "spruce up". We need to be taught the basics of not littering the place and the consequences when we do litter, or wi going to be sprucing up every 5 years, or for the rest of our lives. That shouldn't be. Practice good hygiene, cleanliness and respect for our communities every day and we wouldn't have to treat something as basic as "not littering" as a project.
          Well said Mo., and perhaps we need to adopt what Singapore does and flog them for grafitti and littering. Remeber the yankee kid who threw gum on the street.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Thinking about it, maybe that is why Portland and St.Mary nuh have so much crime. There is hardly any captured Ghetto communities execpt a piece of Annotto Bay. People look after their property and try to keep it clean.

Talking bout that, do you know Mr. Brown House at Black Hill? I don't know if it is still there but that could have been a designated Tourist attraction. No other house in Ja or anywhere I have travelled is built like that.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass - that's the house painted in many colors and he had sea shells and everything you could think of, nice lawn too. It was on the left hand side of the road going towards Anotto Bay. I remember it quite well. Beautiful!
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes the one and only, going up Black Hill around some twist and turns.

Can you imagine if the man had a business inna that house? Something like a little resturant, Jerk stand or a bar? You know how many tourist stop and take pictures? There is none like it.

Comment

Working...
                X