Pay hike for MPs - To get 20 per cent wage increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay hike for MPs - To get 20 per cent wage increase

Parliamentarians will receive a 20 per cent increase in salary early next year. This has been confirmed by Finance Minister Audley Shaw.

Accordingly, $96 million has been included in the First Supplementary Estimates, approved yesterday by the House of Representatives.

Mr. Shaw told the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament yesterday that the long delayed payout to MPs would take place in the final quarter of the fiscal year, starting in January.

The pay hike for Members of Parliament became due last year for the 2006/2007 to the 2007/08 contract period, but was not taken up due to a lack of consensus between the last Government and the then Opposition Jamaica Labour Party on when it should be disbursed. Then-Opposition Leader Bruce Golding insisted at the time that his members would not accept the pay increase as long as salary negotiations with any public sector group remained incomplete.

Even after the public sector salary settlements were completed, however, the money due to parliamentarians remained untouched, as the last government refused to proceed without the explicit support of the Opposition. During the review of the budget at a meeting of the Standing Finance Committee in April the issue was raised, with Mike Henry, MP for Central Clarendon, a Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) member, demanding his increase, much to the discomfort of some of his Opposition colleagues.

A principled stance

Mr. Shaw defended the stance taken then by his party in Opposition, saying it was a principled stance which was no longer necessary once the public sector payouts had been completed.

"For whatever reason, the previous government did not take the action. It is an action that cannot be allowed to sit anymore and so I have taken the decision as minister of finance to discharge that responsibility," he asserted.

Mr. Shaw was responding to a claim by Opposition Member Roger Clarke that it was the JLP, while in Opposition, that had blocked the disbursement of the increase.

In 2003, the Parliamentary Salaries Review Committee recommended the establishment of a permanent body to review rates of compensation for parliamentarians and to lobby for other improvements in emoluments and conditions of service for legislators.

The Oliver Clarke-chaired committee argued that this would avoid the perennial problems associated with pay hikes for parliamentarians.

Current salaries for parliamentarians

Parliamentarians Basic Salary ($)
    Prime Minister 4,706,344
    Deputy Prime Minister 4,118,493
    Minister of Finance 3,813,092
    Cabinet Minister 3,530,641
    Speaker of the House 3,309,976
    Minister of State 3,089,311
    Leader of the Opposition 3,089,311
    Parliamentary Secretary 2,647,981
    Deputy Speaker 2,647,981
    Member of Parliament 2,206,651
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Wait ... no money nuh deh ... yet dem get 20%? How much public sector get as increase? There are more important things that need attention than increase for politicians.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

NO!!!! there should be a moratorium on MP's salaries for about 5 years. mi disagree wid any kinda raise.

dem claim seh dem a serve the nation...well do so by example and only tek a raise when everyone else in the public sector has gotten one...mi god! unnuh get car, housing and entertainment allowance arready!!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        A principled stance

Mr. Shaw defended the stance taken then by his party in Opposition, saying it was a principled stance which was no longer necessary once the public sector payouts had been completed.

"For whatever reason, the previous government did not take the action. It is an action that cannot be allowed to sit anymore and so I have taken the decision as minister of finance to discharge that responsibility," he asserted.

Mr. Shaw was responding to a claim by Opposition Member Roger Clarke that it was the JLP, while in Opposition, that had blocked the disbursement of the increase.
        I don't think I have a problem with the raise, but it's stuff in bold that bothers me. What's different now?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have not a problem with it when it was proposed...excepting the new salaries are too low.

...as I said then and shall now repeat - for example - What do we want each MP making $1,000,000.00 per year and the poorest making $10,000.00 per annum...or, each MP making a billion and the poorest making $10,000,000?

I know I would go with the latter!
          Jamaica needs MPs with no worry of how they shall 'live' on their minds. There only 'worries' should be 'how do we make life better for our people/those we serve'!

There should also be the getting rid of the incompetent ones and the jailing of all di tiefin wan dem! I think my exact words were -
          Perform or the door!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Now Lazie I want you to jump
            around and make a lot of noise about this (that little whimper below is NOTHING). When the PNP (then govt.) introduced this you were all over the board. I am looking to hear a lot from you. Thanks.

Comment

Did you miss the "principled stance" by the opposition..what you blind?
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

"During the review of the budget at a meeting of the Standing Finance Committee in April the issue was raised, with Mike Henry, MP for Central Clarendon, a Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) member, demanding his increase, much to the discomfort of some of his Opposition colleagues."

At least that made me smile.

Blessed

Comment

What do we want each MP making $1,000,000.00 per year and the poorest making $10,000.00 per annum...or, each MP making a billion and the poorest making $10,000,000?

Here is the good part,Mi always tell mi youth dem when dem aged by 16 years, I too aged by that said amount. Similar to what you said )
                  Unfortunately, I disagree(d?),it is the gap between the two that has to be narrowed.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                    What do we want each MP making $1,000,000.00 per year and the poorest making $10,000.00 per annum...or, each MP making a billion and the poorest making $10,000,000?

Here is the good part,Mi always tell mi youth dem when dem aged by 16 years, I too aged by that said amount. Similar to what you said )
                    Unfortunately, I disagree(d?),it is the gap between the two that has to be narrowed.

Blessed
                    I hear you...but, would you be concerned (sotto voice - if yuh nuh red yeye) if one man got a billion and you got 10 million?

...contrast that with one gets 4 million and you have only $20,000.00 to live on?

Frankly I would nto care too hoots if I am in the society that guarantees me my 10 million --- would not envy that MP too hoots! All he/she must do is keep working to keep the society on that then properous path!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

is not about envy...is about merit. i have a feeling that a culture of picking up a paycheck has developed, including MP's.

if yuh there to serve, serve there should be a moratorium on MP's slaries for 5 years and they should be the last civil servants to get a raise.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        is not about envy...is about merit. i have a feeling that a culture of picking up a paycheck has developed, including MP's.

if yuh there to serve, serve there should be a moratorium on MP's slaries for 5 years and they should be the last civil servants to get a raise.
                        It is also a matter of the quality you get for paying
                        nex tuh nutten
                        ...it is a fact that good paying jobs most often have qualified competent committed workers!

It is also a fact that 'dregs' paying jobs get 'workers' who are workers in name only!

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                          Now Lazie I want you to jump
                          around and make a lot of noise about this (that little whimper below is NOTHING). When the PNP (then govt.) introduced this you were all over the board. I am looking to hear a lot from you. Thanks.
                          Yuh 'mamba?

I 'su-mild' when thinking of Lazie on that 20% 'raise'!

Comment

have we received value for money so far?

Comment

Karl think paying them more a go give them consience when dem nuh have none.

It will stop no tiefing MP from tief.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X