RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exploring the unique Jamaican creole - MdmeX, good read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring the unique Jamaican creole - MdmeX, good read!

Tame-Durrleman - exploring the unique Jamaican creole
    published: Sunday | December 16, 2007

Contributed
    Stephanie Tame-Durrleman
    Dionne Rose, Staff Reporter
    The Jamaican dialect has not only taken on international recognition, but continues to be academically explored.
    One recent study was conducted by a child of the soil who defended her Ph.D. thesis on the subject before an international jury of linguists.
    Stephanie Tame-Durrleman, a Jamaican national, and senior lecturer in the Department of Linguistics, University of Geneva, Switzerland, received highest honours for her thesis, 'The Syntax of Jamaican Creole: A Cartographic Perspective which Explores Jamaican Patois In Depth'.
    Exposed to new ideas
    In an interview recently with The Sunday Gleaner, Tame-Durrleman says she was forced to look at the world from different perspectives to those she had acquired growing up in Jamaica.
    "One thing that became evident to me in time was that we often unconsciously perpetuate inherited and useless prejudices if not forced to abandon them," she says.
    "My studies at the University of Geneva confirmed this in many areas, and one of them was language. I was exposed to refreshing ideas about linguistic systems and it soon became clear to me that Jamaican creole is not a 'corruption' of a language, but a 'language' in itself."
    Tame-Durrleman says most people who are acquainted with Jamaican history agree that Jamaican society has suffered enough at the hands of inherited prejudices.
    She believes that a different approach to Jamaican patois can have a positive influence on how the language is viewed.
    "We need to recognise that Jamaican creole is a full-fledged language for various reasons. First of all, it is simply not accurate to define it as anything else," she says. "Scientific approaches to any natural human language have consistently upheld the complexity of each linguistic system, and Jamaican creole is no exception to this rule."
    She also argues that there are pedagogical advantages to the language and advises that a student ought not be scolded and made to feel inferior because his mother tongue is other than English, as this has been shown to have a negative impact on the learning experience.
    "The respect of the child's mother tongue in the classroom may ultimately take us a step further," she says. "That is, it may even prove beneficial for certain students who are, for example, very strong in maths or art, but struggling with English, to ultimately have the opportunity of having the subject explained in their mother tongue, without having to face the obstacle of learning it in a foreign language," she explains.
    She says various studies have illustrated that a child learns best in his/her native tongue, particularly during the early stages.
    "Why, then, deprive our children of a potentially more efficient methods of teaching?" she asks. "I know this will shock many, who will argue that there are not enough of us speaking Jamaican creole in the world to justify such an approach. However, do the Icelandic people teach in English just because their language is only spoken in Iceland?"
    Tame-Durrleman, however, noted that mastering standard English is very important in an era of globalisation.
    Positive image
    "Keeping English is important in our society, (but it) does not necessarily imply that we must trample on the image of our national language and complicate the learning task in the process," she adds. "Indeed, a positive image of one's native language contributes to overall self-confidence, successful learning in general, and the ability to acquire a second language as well."
    Tame-Durrleman, who moved to Paris at the age of 16 and eventually married a Frenchman, lectures at the University of Geneva, where she has been teaching for the past six years. She has two sons and is expecting her third child.
    "Needless to say, I hope my children will not only speak French and English, but also Jamaican patois," she chuckles. dionne.rose@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

aaaah sah one more phd for JA.

Comment

Yeah, and my like dis part -

"Needless to say, I hope my children will not only speak French and English, but also Jamaican patois," she chuckles.

she should have rephrased it this way -

"Needless to say, I hope my children will not only speak Jamaican PATOIS, but also French and English"
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

glad yuh see it. Mi nuh know when dem
        ah stap hav wi ah fool wi. Let us pray; our father..........

Comment

well mi agree wid her.....to teach or encourage the formalisation of patois should not be to the detriment of the english language.....

i remember when the reference "dem dutty natty head rasta" see it deh now.....everybody have locks!

i remember wha kinda boogoo yagga music dat...seeitdeh...grammyhave category fi reggae..

but a suh!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

What does winning a grammy and the way
            one grooms one's self have to do with patios? Thanks.

Comment

Nothing wrong in the way she said it. What are the chances they will be exposed to a lot of patois?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh don't have to answer that, gamma. Analogies are lost on many of us.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My apologies; I didn't know that reggae was strictly based
                  on patios. The same can be said for the grooming of one's hair. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Nothing wrong in the way she said it. What are the chances they will be exposed to a lot of patois?
                    1. 0
                    2. NAUGHT
                    3. ZERO
                    4. ZILTCH
                    5. NONE!
                    6. NEVER

Ansa = all of the above
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

first of all patios was the language
                      of the slaves. I don't think she wants her kids to speak as slaves would.

Comment

ERGO! What is wrong with what she said?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And what is wrong with the language of the slaves? English is the language of our captors and oppressors!

Give me the language of the slaves, thank you very much!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

noble chiron, formerly sagest of all centaurs, i cannot dumb it down anymore.

you can hang up now...that is a term you understand, yes?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

unnu can gwaaan, Karl a teacher yes? Imagine him a teach mi fi write Patwa to rhathid.

You know what mi rather learn it a streetside
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X