Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No excuses for this....

'UAWU embracing JUTC corruption'
    Bus company chairman says union resisting efforts to cut graft BY AL EDWARDS
    Sunday, December 16, 2007

A litany of corrupt actions that have resulted in some employees at the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) collecting millions of dollars annually - some as much as three times their gross salary - has been uncovered by the state bus agency's new board. And the JUTC chairman, Douglas Chambers, says the University and Allied Workers Union (UAWU) is embracing and encouraging this dishonesty.

"I recently discovered a special arrangement whereby three UAWU delegates who were contracted as bus conductors and drivers never worked in that capacity for at least two years, yet were receiving over three times their salaries," Douglas told the Sunday Observer in an exclusive interview last week.

Commuters boarding a JUTC bus in Kingston in this Observer file photo.

"I immediately took measures to cut this off but was emphatically told by the UAWU that I could not do so because the men in question were conducting Special Working Arrangements assigned by former presidents of the JUTC Patrick McIntosh and Ryan White, and former chairman of the JUTC Norton Hinds," said Douglas.

Documents obtained by the Sunday Observer reveal that one of the union delegates, a bus conductor on a gross salary of $458,000 a year, took home $1.574 million between January and November this year.
    His salary was bolstered by ex-gratia payments and overtime earnings which showed him claiming for 16.78 hours per day over a fortnight.

The second employee, an articulated bus driver, whose annual gross salary is $562,000, picked up $1.724 million between January and November this year by claiming overtime for 23.5 hours in a working day which, in effect, meant that he slept, rested and conducted the affairs of his life in the remaining half-hour of a 24-hour day.

CHAMBERS. how can this union hold the country to ransom?

In the third case, a bus driver, whose gross salary is $516,000 annually, has so far received $1.983 million, claiming overtime of 22.85 hours.

In a letter dated December 12, 2007 the JUTC's vice-president, operations, Easton Allen reminded one of the drivers of a decision taken to terminate the special working arrangements and that he was advised to revert to his substantive post, "that is being a driver at the Twickenham Depot with effect from Monday, December 10, 2007".

The letter pointed out that the driver failed to comply with the written instruction and cautioned that failure to continue to do so would result in disciplinary action taken against him.

Allen's letter was in response to one sent to the chairman and the acting president and signed by the three employees referred to by Douglas. In their letter, the men said they had received calls from several traffic managers at the JUTC's Rockfort and Spanish Town depots telling them that they are to report to their depots to pick up regular duties "and not the special assignment we were assigned by former presidents Patrick McIntosh and Ryan White, and former chairman Norton Hinds".

Said the employees: "We were informed in writing by the former presidents and chairman that the work we are doing should continue indefinitely until further notice. Can you please clarify formally, the telephone calls we have been receiving because it is confusing."

The handwritten letter was copied to UAWU first vice-president Clifton Grant.

Douglas said he received a phone call from Grant who asked why he had terminated the special working arrangements. Grant, he said, "insisted that I re-implement it because this was an agreement reached with the previous presidents".

Douglas could not give a definition of the special working arrangements, saying only that his understanding of it was that it required the three men to motivate staff and reduce accidents. However, he said that all he could remember them doing was union work.

"I took the decision not to pay these exorbitant wages because they could not be justified and were in fact illegal," he said. "The union then threatened to strike and lock down the place because they had an agreement with the previous bosses."

The union, he said, took their grievance to the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, which in turn instructed him to pay all the overtime owed.
    "As far as I am concerned, these three union delegates were padding the bill," said Douglas. "Now, the evidence I have presented to you clearly proves that this union has embraced and is endorsing corruption in the JUTC."

Douglas said his understanding was that the special working arrangements began in 2004 with the agreement of the union. He said he had asked the former presidents and chairman about the arrangements and they informed him that they had made several attempts to end the agreement, but each effort was met with threats by the union to lock down the company.

When the Sunday Observer contacted UAWU president Lambert Brown, he accused Chambers of refusing to follow due process, saying that the chairman has gone against government policy and was in fact in breach of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed between the previous Government and public sector workers.

The MOU basically guarantees a freeze on salaries in return for a stay on job cuts.
    "He (Douglas) consistently flouts established industrial relationship practices," said Brown. "His ego does not allow him to co-operate with the UAWU and he has reneged on prior agreements and that is the real problem. He says that we are unwilling to co-operate, but that is not true.

His leadership is demotivating the workers and in fact October saw a deficit of around $180 million, the single highest in the JUTC's history."

Douglas, in response, pointed out that the new board was appointed in mid-October and since then they have been able to cut losses at the company. He declined to give a figure, saying that the transport minister, Mike Henry, would give that information in Parliament.

Douglas also refuted Brown's accusation of non-co-operation, saying, "I have no problem working with the union, but equally I would have no problem working without them. Mr Brown must recognise that the corruption stops now."

Douglas also highlighted absenteeism and fare box theft as other areas of abuse and corruption at the bus company and provided the Sunday Observer with a table showing that 155 employees racked up a total 4,919 absent days between January 1 and October 31 this year.
    Of that figure, 2,272 were 'no show days' (absent without a reason), and 2,647 days were claimed for sick leave.

None of the employees on the list were absent for less than 20 days over the period, while four stood out with 59, 75, 89 and 97 absent days.

"With this kind of record we have to terminate these people under the existing disciplinary procedures, yet the union does not see it that way and insists that business should continue as usual," said Douglas. "I fully intend to stand up to the union and make the JUTC an efficient and effectively run government company."

According to the JUTC's Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual (April 2006) relating to disciplinary codes, a first offence by an employee of being absent from work without leave will result in a written warning. The second offence attracts a suspension, while the third offence will result in dismissal.

The manual makes it clear that fraudulent use of sick leave provision or tampering with a sick leave certificate will result in instant dismissal.

Douglas also disclosed that the JUTC is losing around $30 million a month from the fare boxes (that is $3,000 a day from each of 300 buses) through various methods employed by Customer Service Assistants. That, he said, cannot be allowed to continue.

Last year, the JUTC recorded a loss of around $1.2 billion and Chambers has vowed to return it to profitability within his first year as chairman.

"The president of the UAWU has called for my resignation and has even said that if certain conditions are not met the very important MOU 3 will not be signed," said Douglas. "My question is, how can this union hold the country to ransom? Do we not want a properly run transport system, which is free from corruption and inefficiency?"
    "That is the job I was given, and it is the job I will do," he said.
    Last edited by Karl; December 16, 2007, 11:39 PM.

Karl will find one
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Our unions have long defended slackness. Time for them to be exposed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Our unions have long defended slackness. Time for them to be exposed!
        There should be no unions.

Comment

Mi nuh surprised at all. A retired civil servant once tell mi say the country could save at least 50% of it's expenditures at his old ministry, through better efficiency, reduce wasteful spending, and an elimination of corruption. There is nuff waste a yard, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Especially linked to political parties and activists.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

JUTC union delegates bag $5m

He is employed as a conductor at a salary of $458,000 annually. But based on a special arrangement, Paul Smith, chief union delegate at the financially strapped Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC), is being paid over $1.5 million annually.

The sum included over $1.2 million for overtime payments, plus four quarterly ex gratia payments of $70,422.54 each. It costs the company $5,282,166.11 annually, including ex-gratia and overtime payments for union delegates Paul Smith, Anthony Jarrett and Rory Headley between January and November this year.

This arrangement, under which the workers were put on special assignments, according to management, was approved by former presidents and a chairperson of the bus company.

Smith, the chief delegate for the University and Allied Workers Union (UAWU), earned $1.2 million for overtime work between January and November this year, in addition to $165,335.91 as regular salary, plus four quarterly ex-gratia payments of $70,422.54.

Smith’s colleague, Anthony Jarrett, is employed as a driver at an annual salary of $516,000. However, his special assignment duties pushed his income to $1,983,388.53, inclusive of over $1,299,328 for overtime payments.

Rory Headley is employed as a driver for articulated buses at $562,000 annually, but was paid $1,724,652, including $1,336,806 for overtime payments.

Chairman Douglas Chambers said he recently took the decision to terminate the arrangement as part of the company’s cost-cutting exercise, to reduce cost, including $40 million monthly for overtime work, after consulting with the board and the unions.

The nature of the special assignment for the delegates was not clear. UAWU president, Lambert Brown, argued that part of the assignment required the men to visit their colleagues in the field to boost morale. But Chambers said they spent most of their time doing union business and loafing, and he had to reassign them to other meaningful duties.

In a letter to Chambers, signed by Smith, Jarrett and Headley, they indicated that they were put on special assignment by former presidents, Patrick McIntosh, Ryan White and chairman Norton Hinds, and were told that they “should continue indefinitely until further notice.”

Chambers told the Sunday Herald that the former executives told him that they tried unsuccessfully, under their tenure, to terminate the arrangements, but were intimidated by threats from the unions to shut down the place.

“It is despicable for management to publish contractual salary arrangement for workers because they disagree with chairman Douglas Chambers’ unilateral actions against workers to breach the collective labour agreement,” Brown said in response to charges against the union.

“This is purely organisational politics by the management of the company,” added Brown, indicating that Chambers, in the presence of other persons, had commended the role of the delegates.

Brown, however, agreed that management had the right to determine how workers were deployed, providing its actions were within the law.

Chambers dismissed charges that he was trampling on the workers’ rights. “All I’m doing is getting the company on track so that jobs can be saved and the public will get a better and more reliable system,” Chambers said.
              However, he contended that some persons wanted to continue with the inefficiency and corruption, “but this will not work.”

Short-circuited
              Brown also accused Chambers of breaking an agreement on how to treat with sick workers. According to him, both parties agreed on a process to address employees who were on prolonged sick leave. This process would have ended last month end.

Chambers said during the negotiations, most of the affected workers requested redundancy. He said he indicated to the unions what was happening, and prepared cheques. But the delegates, Chambers charged, short-circuited the process, telling the workers not to accept the cheques, as they could get more money.

“Cheques are sitting on my desk and I am told that I cannot distribute them,” Chambers said.

There are other issues. For example, the workers are asking for over $100 million drawn from their salaries to be paid to third parties, but which was not paid.

Chambers said he inherited that situation and was trying his best to honour payments. But he said he was hampered by high wage bill and low income, hence his decision to cut costs.

Meanwhile, there are indications that some workers represented by the UAWU have instructed management to stop deducting union dues from their salaries in the wake of the impasse.
              Last edited by Karl; December 16, 2007, 11:42 PM.

Comment

If yuh fire dem, what dem gwine duh.. it will just mean more 'unemployment'..

I keep telling unnuh di hole what Jamaica find itself in nevah dig itself...

Karl and his ilk all ah use back hoe.. smug in some insane justification...

Comment

the fraud squad should be brought in on this as well... wherever, fraud and corruption is found the fraud squad should be brought in... it simple... the dolly house muss mash up... people who get paid for doing no work should be forced to pay back what they stole...

i
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Wha you say? lockup the union?
                    Them man yah have full union backing and a do union duty.

Comment

big up who fi get big up and lock up who fi get lock up... real talk... investigate the union... i smell corruption of the union by some criminal figures...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

How can a man work 23 hours overtime? This is fockery. Lock it down and start from scratch again.
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

ah true man; start it all
                          over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                            ah true man; start it all
                            over again.
                            What you and the others should ask unuhselves, what if the PNP had won? All the ****************e that been going on at JUTC and NSWMA would be business as usual.
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                            X