• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil found on the coast in jamaica...

Big oil spill on Ironshore coastline
    BY MARK CUMMINGS Observer senior reporter cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, December 15, 2007

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Officials of the Montego Bay Marine Park and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) were up to press time last night unable to identify the source of a big oil spill on the Ironshore coastline which, if not contained soon, could wreak havoc on marine life in the area.
    "Up to this point we are still unable to identify the source of the spill," said Roland Haye, the regional co-ordinator at the ODPEM.
    A section of the Ironshore coastline where there was an oil spill yesterday.
    The spill, which occurred about half a mile for the Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel and a few chains from the construction site of the Club RIU Hotel, was discovered by a hotel employee shortly before 2:00 pm yesterday.
    Yesterday evening thick viscous fluid was seen flowing in the sea, while a large section of the wetland was found to be saturated with the thick black substance.
    "From first appearance it seems to be used oil and it is seeping from the wetland into a canal and then into the sea," said Haye.
    Operations manager of the Montego Bay Marine Park, Omar Ebanks, who arrived on the scene shortly before 5:00 pm later told the Observer that he had already approached the coast guard and other agencies for help to contain the spill.
    CEO of Sandals Resorts International Resorts, Adam Stewart, who along with employees of Sandals Royal toured the affected area, said last night that the spill did not pose an immediate threat to the resort.
    He expressed concern, however, for the marine life in the area.
    "I think the threat is probably more to the marine life in the area," said Stewart. "We don't know the source of it (oil spill) now but it seems to be a bad scene," the CEO stressed.
    He added that Sandals Resorts would do whatever it can to contain the spill.
    Oil spills can smother algae, plants, invertebrates, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

I wonder "flowing from the wetlands"?
    Some person or persons or entity dumping in the wetlands? That would be wiked-nis!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      I wonder "flowing from the wetlands"?
      Some person or persons or entity dumping in the wetlands? That would be wiked-nis!!!
      Nuh similar thing Trafigura did of the African coast?

Comment

Heh, heh...

Comment

I wonder who did it? I wonder if we will find who did it, knowing our investigative talents?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
            Big oil spill on Ironshore coastline
            BY MARK CUMMINGS Observer senior reporter cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
            Saturday, December 15, 2007

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Officials of the Montego Bay Marine Park and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) were up to press time last night unable to identify the source of a big oil spill on the Ironshore coastline which, if not contained soon, could wreak havoc on marine life in the area.
            "Up to this point we are still unable to identify the source of the spill," said Roland Haye, the regional co-ordinator at the ODPEM.
            A section of the Ironshore coastline where there was an oil spill yesterday.
            The spill, which occurred about half a mile for the Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel and a few chains from the construction site of the Club RIU Hotel, was discovered by a hotel employee shortly before 2:00 pm yesterday.
            Yesterday evening thick viscous fluid was seen flowing in the sea, while a large section of the wetland was found to be saturated with the thick black substance.
            "From first appearance it seems to be used oil and it is seeping from the wetland into a canal and then into the sea," said Haye.
            Operations manager of the Montego Bay Marine Park, Omar Ebanks, who arrived on the scene shortly before 5:00 pm later told the Observer that he had already approached the coast guard and other agencies for help to contain the spill.
            CEO of Sandals Resorts International Resorts, Adam Stewart, who along with employees of Sandals Royal toured the affected area, said last night that the spill did not pose an immediate threat to the resort.
            He expressed concern, however, for the marine life in the area.
            "I think the threat is probably more to the marine life in the area," said Stewart. "We don't know the source of it (oil spill) now but it seems to be a bad scene," the CEO stressed.
            He added that Sandals Resorts would do whatever it can to contain the spill.
            Oil spills can smother algae, plants, invertebrates, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
            Why so miss leading in the heading, you could have said Oil Spill on Ironshore coast, instead of giving the impression that there was a oil strike. It sure got you a lot of viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
              Why so miss leading in the heading, you could have said Oil Spill on Ironshore coast, instead of giving the impression that there was a oil strike. It sure got you a lot of viewing.

Heheeeeeee - it's the Observer tabloid
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

feel the same way too.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                  Heheeeeeee - it's the Observer tabloid
                  That is no reason to be caught up in one fu fool makes many, yuh nuh wah mi mean?

Comment

sorry tdowl... seems i offended you... please accept my apology...

Comment

No Baddaz, no offense, but you must remember seh, Jamaica is exploring for Oil & Gas, and in time like dis, any discovery man like me will get excited. I have seen missleading threads here before, could be people want to spawn long threads.

BTW, how is the Oil & Gas exploration looking for Jamaica, was there any effort to test those drills that yield oil before?

Comment

cool... just mek sure yuh have yuh medication close by when yuh hear de real news seh dem find oil deposits off the coast of jamaica...

Comment

Working...
                        X