X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azan resigns as chairman of Jamaica Trade and Invest

Azan resigns as chairman of Jamaica Trade and Invest

Thursday, December 13, 2007

MEGAMART CEO Gassan Azan yesterday resigned as chairman of Jamaica Trade and Invest, the state investment promotions agency, saying that he was not prepared to have his reputation sullied by politicians intent on using the discovery of illegal electricity devices at his two stores to carry out personal vendettas.

At the same time, the Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS) said MegaMart had accepted its corporate responsibility in the matter, and was in the process of paying the amounts owed for electricity consumed.

Azan's resignation came a day after the Opposition People's National Party (PNP), in a statement, said that his ability to continue as chairman of Jamaica Trade and Invest (JTI) "has been seriously compromised by this disclosure".

"With this issue hanging over him, it is going to be exceedingly difficult for the leader of the JTI to pitch Jamaica successfully to potential investors as a great investment opportunity, given that his own company has been caught depriving one of the largest foreign-owned firms in Jamaica of their rightful revenue," the PNP said.

However, in his statement yesterday, Azan said "it is clear that there are individuals and organisations intent on using the recent developments to carry out personal vendettas as well as to further narrow political interest".
    "I am not prepared to make the sacrifice of time and effort only to be maligned and for my reputation to be used in a political game," he said.

"Such a negative campaign could only feed the type of diversions that could frustrate any efforts to attract investments in the national interest."

Azan reiterated that the management of MegaMart does not subscribe to the practice of electricity bypass and reminded that the breach was discovered after MegaMart invited JPS "to investigate irregularities in our electrical supply and initiated months of exhaustive efforts by JPS and MegaMart to ensure stable and reliable power to our massive and sensitive retail operations".

In its statement, the JPS said that the discovery of the device followed on its attempt to address MegaMart's complaint of electricity supply quality at its Portmore store.

A similar device, the JPS said, was found at MegaMart's Waterloo Avenue store, after which the light and power company reported the matter to the police.

In a statement issued last Saturday, Azan said that an employee who had responsibility for the maintenance of both stores has been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

Yesterday, Azan said that "MegaMart and JPS have settled the outstanding issues and, in the best interest of both companies and the national economy, have agreed to co-operate in any and all attempts to identify the party or parties responsible for the installation of illegal devices on MegaMart's premises.
    Last edited by Karl; December 13, 2007, 01:06 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Mek Azan move and gwey. This nonsense that "MegaMart invited JPS "to investigate irregularities in our electrical supply..."" won't cut it. Blaming the PNP for this will not work.

This is all he needed to have said:

Azan said that "MegaMart and JPS have settled the outstanding issues and, in the best interest of both companies and the national economy, have agreed to co-operate in any and all attempts to identify the party or parties responsible for the installation of illegal devices on MegaMart's premises.

Now step!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

its a pattern of not accepting responsibility... i always somebody else fault... let me see, somebody in his organization decide to take it upon themselves to install equipment to reduce the cost of electricity used by his company and he doesn't know about it... somebody within his organization decides to make a purchase of this equipment with his money and he doesn't know about it... yeah, right... and we all believe the cow jumped over the moon...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

that is endemic....neither party has the patent on it! when one considers even paulwell's scandals alone.....

i am amazed to see the allegations flow so freely....yet when it comes to the issue of who provide guns everbody is mum!

di 2 "P" dem a play wi fi claffy unnuh nuh si dat?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

but when mi vote fi rasta unnu mock mi.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah but yuh conistently inconsistent!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mi changing course?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

no yuh as i said...yuh consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  This is all he needed to have said:

Azan said that "MegaMart and JPS have settled the outstanding issues and, in the best interest of both companies and the national economy, have agreed to co-operate in any and all attempts to identify the party or parties responsible for the installation of illegal devices on MegaMart's premises.

Now step!
                  No the preface which I think would be truthful would be:

"As a rabid JLP supporter and major contributor to the party of bribes and a big time tief of electricity, MegaMart and JPS...blab! blab! blab! .....".
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

indeed gamma... chronically endemic... across both parties and across all facets of jamaica... regrettably, corruption has become part of the jamaican culture... from a personal political standpoint, i really don't care which party is the government, i only want to see progress or the attempt to create a foundation based on principle to encourage progress...

thats the primary reason, why i am disappointed with new government after 100 days...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                    X