Garbage Transfer Stations to be Introduced by NSWMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Transfer Stations to be Introduced by NSWMA

Garbage transfer stations are to be introduced by the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA), in order to reduce the time taken to collect garbage.

Speaking with JIS News, NSWMA Executive Director, Joan Gordon Webley said the transfer stations would help to reduce garbage backlog. "This will give trucks faster turnaround time and allow operators to get a better deal doing more collections each day," she added.

The transfer stations will be trailer-hauled containers, which will be placed strategically in communities. Compacted garbage will be stored in the containers which, when full, will be hauled to the dump sites.

Commenting on steps which would be taken to ensure that improvement in garbage collection is realized, Mrs. Gordon Webley said: "We will be ensuring that we have our own equipment."

On the impact that the local government reform programme, now in progress, would have on the garbage collection operations of the NSWMA,
    Mrs. Gordon Webley said that, "as local government reform proceeds, we are not certain what will stay with NSWMA and what will stay with the local authorities."

"Collecting market garbage puts added strain on our operations, because we spend an average $200,000 weekly in a single market and we are not being paid to do so," she said.

Mrs. Gordon Webley pointed out that $600 million was owed to creditors, resulting in suppliers demanding to be paid cash-on-delivery. She said this had placed severe strain on the Agency. However, she said steps are being taken to clear all the outstanding payments to creditors before the end of the year and eliminate over-billing, which has been largely responsible for the poor financial state at the agency.

Citing an example of excessive charges, she said that, "attempts have been made to keep equipment at the Riverton City Landfill broken down frequently forcing us to hire equipment from private suppliers."
    "Our repair contractors have found watered down gas and blockages with plastic and other foreign bodies in vehicles and equipment at the Landfill,"
    Mrs. Gordon Webley said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

A wonder if Wignall and the people who a talk bout garbage collection read this?

Them blame the JLP since them come inna power without any consideration to what they inherited.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The "scum" may be onto something with this transfer station thing. Pity some don't have the balls to give her any credit.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Credit for what?! An idea that we don't know will work?!?

Listen, Lazie, I moved 3 months now and I don't know what day is garbage day. Maybe it's a problem with my new neighbourhood, but it coincided with the JLP's victory at the polls, so I don't know where the problem lies. But I'll join you in your frills and pom-poms when I can get some half decent pick round here. This transfer station not gwine to help me unless it is going to be placed at my gate.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Credit for what?! An idea that we don't know will work?!?

Listen, Lazie, I moved 3 months now and I don't know what day is garbage day. Maybe it's a problem with my new neighbourhood, but it coincided with the JLP's victory at the polls, so I don't know where the problem lies. But I'll join you in your frills and pom-poms when I can get some half decent pick round here. This transfer station not gwine to help me unless it is going to be placed at my gate.
          Yuh head that tuff? Don't answer ... many of you said the "scum" wasn't qualified, based on the role the transfer station would play, why didn't the brilliant minds that had the role all along implement this?

She indicated on the radio last week that more than 50% of the fleet was not in service therefore there is a problem. She said there is a hotline that people can call until the trucks are back on the road.

Then again, when one can say what you said about her last week ....

Comment

Push here!
            Bulge there!

One question: What are the implications of these way-stations being sited in communities?

Proximity to businesses and residents? ...smell? ...presence of animals, insects, etc. that gravitate towards garbage? ...use of dangerous chemicals? ...etc., etc?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              Yuh head that tuff? Don't answer ... many of you said the "scum" wasn't qualified, based on the role the transfer station would play, why didn't the brilliant minds that had the role all along implement this?

She indicated on the radio last week that more than 50% of the fleet was not in service therefore there is a problem. She said there is a hotline that people can call until the trucks are back on the road.

Then again, when one can say what you said about her last week ....

How long since the JLP has been incharge?
              How long does it take to fix a motor-truck and or other equipment? 1 day? 2 days? 5 days? 10 days?

Certainly not 3 months!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You make a better Cheerleader.

Yuh need more practise in your current dispensation.. don't worry though wi gwine try mek sure yuh get bout 10 years practice...

Comment

Try unnu best!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When was Webley appointed ??

Comment

And you try yours...

Wi nah guh back to the Dark Ages suh easy.. chuss mi.

Comment

Working...
                      X