British travel group says energy surcharge is a bad idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British travel group says energy surcharge is a bad idea

A major British travel tour group is warning that plans by local hotels to impose a new energy surcharge might not be a good idea.

The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and the Federation of Tour Operators are urging Jamaican hoteliers to rethink plans to introduce the surcharge of up to US$10 a night from this weekend.

The Jamaica Hotel & Tourist Association is supporting plans by the country's hotels to add the charge from Saturday, the official start of the Winter Season.

Hoteliers say the charge is due to the rising price of fuel.

ABTA said it has already been in touch with the Foreign Office, which will be speaking to the Jamaican High Commission.

A spokesman for the Association warns that the extra charges could be extremely damaging to Jamaica's tourism industry.

Additionally, the spokesman is recommending that tour operators contact Jamaican hoteliers to address the situation and remind them of existing contractual obligations.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I am not one fi the raising of the tax on tourist especially at the lower end. It makes a big difference.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X