• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels among us

Angels among us
    published: Wednesday | December 12, 2007

Avia Collinder, Gleaner Writer

Louise Sinclair with her foster daughter Yahneake and Tyler, her grandson, at their Kingston 13 home. Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
    A combination of need and community spirit was the criterion used by [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Outlook's[/COLOR][/COLOR] judges to determine the winner of The Gleaner's Sunday magazine's bedroom [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]makeover[/COLOR][/COLOR] giveaway sponsored by Azmart, Singer and The Gleaner.
    The winner secured the prize by more than a metaphorical mile, but there were dozens of other letters which chronicled the exploits of poor Jamaicans who give generously of their time and money, even though their circumstances might dictate otherwise.
    Here are just a few of them:
    A mother to all
    "I could smell them from a mile away," Louise Sinclair admitted, referring to the day she took into her home five children, abandoned by their mother, and who - she was to discover - lived in the open on one bed spring covered by three sheets, separated from the ground by four bricks.
    Their father was long gone and, recently abandoned by the depressed woman who had given birth to them, they came to Sinclair for food, but instead, found a home.
    Sinclair, now 57 years old, is well known for her benevolence, caring for the old and young, as well as those affected by HIV/ AIDS. Her daughter, Latesha, states that often, the limited food at home was shared, and shared again, for children taken in, and for elderly community members living nearby. Sinclair has even given away her husband's dinner on several occasions. Her spouse, a barber, supports her in everything she does.
    "I ask the Lord why, but they just happen to come into my life," Sinclair says. Now that her own children are grown, she fosters two other children, including nine-year-old Yahneake, who was taken in as a three-month-old baby. Sinclair and her [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]family[/COLOR][/COLOR] have lived in a rented home for the last 27 years at 1D Berwick Road in Kingston 11, and her children nominated her for the bedroom makeover.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Mo - any of you know about the Habitat for Humanity organization in Jam. I do know that they have built some houses there. This woman should certainly qualify for one, for all that she does on the little she has.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
    X