• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montague apologises for offensive platform

'I'm sorry'
    Montague apologises for offensive platform comments
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007

MONTAGUE. I acknowledge that my utterances run counter to the vision of consensus-building and good governance articulated by the prime minister
    Local Government State Minister Robert 'Bobby' Montague yesterday apologised for offensive comments he made on a political platform in the run-up to the December 5 Local Government Elections after coming under heavy criticism that mushroomed last weekend into a call from an election observer group for his dismissal from the political directorate.
    "In retrospect, I acknowledge that my utterances have not only embarrassed the Government and the Jamaica Labour Party, but also run counter to the vision of consensus-building and good governance articulated by the prime minister," Montague said in a statement after emerging from a meeting with Prime Minister Bruce Golding.
    Montague had told JLP supporters in Portland that the roads in their community would only be fixed if they voted for the JLP councillor.
    He said he had conveyed personally to Golding his deep regret at the comments, adding that while they "were made in the heat of political fervour" he accepted full responsibility for his actions.
    Montague said that while he did not believe that a retraction was sufficient, he hoped people would forgive him, allowing him to complete the job assigned to him by the prime minister.
    "I assure you that I have learnt a valuable lesson from this incident and I am heartened at the constructive criticisms that I have received since this incident," he said. "I take comfort in knowing that as an elected representative of the people no platform is to be used for indiscriminate comments and posturing."
    Montague's comments followed a similar outburst by fellow parliamentarian, Water and Housing State Minister Everald Warmington at another JLP meeting in St Catherine.
    Warming had told residents of Old Harbour Bay that if they did not vote for the party in the local elections they would not receive hurricane relief cheques.
    Attempts by the Observer to reach Warmington yesterday were not successful, but JLP general-secretary Karl Samuda said the matter was being dealt with at the prime ministerial level as it went against the very grain of the philosophy of the administration.
    "I know Minister Montague met with the prime minister," Samuda said. He, however, noted that while indications were that Warmington should also have met with the prime minister he could not confirm if Warmington had followed suit.
    "The matter is being handled by the prime minister personally, and he is taking it very, very seriously," Samuda said.
    As to whether the utterances by the two warranted calls for them to be dismissed, Samuda said he was not in a position to respond and reiterated that the matter was being dealt with thoroughly.
    Last week, election watchdog group, Citizens Action For Free and Fair Elections (CAFFE), called for Warmington and Montague to be axed, arguing that both junior ministers were in violation of the Corruption (Prevention) Act.
    CAFFE said the Act makes it an offence for any public official to request any benefit or favour from persons in return for performing their public duties.
    After Warmington's outburst, Labour and Social Security Minister Pearnel Charles quickly assured the country that what was said "does not in any way reflect the policy of this Government".
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Wi deh pon di same course.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

EDITORIAL - Contemptuous comments, irresponsible behaviour
      published: Tuesday | December 11, 2007

We expect that Messrs Everald Warmington and Bobby Montague, junior ministers in Bruce Golding's administration, will, at the urging of the Prime Minister, apologise to the public for their insulting and contemptuous remarks to voters ahead of last week's [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]local [COLOR=orange! important]government[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] elections.
      Obligation fulfilled? Unfortunately, it will not have been. For whatever will have been said, it would merely be prescriptive, aimed at soothing political feathers and easing the embarrassment they have caused to Golding. Their apology, we believe, will not be genuine.
      We have not come to this position without good reasons. It should be recalled that Golding's [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] Labour Party (JLP) came to office on the promise of good governance, having claimed 18 years of corrupt behaviour and abuse of public trust by its predecessor People's National Party (PNP) administration.
      Indeed, Golding has long held himself out as the champion of a new inclusiveness, which would end the old notions that assumption of high office was the route to 'scarce benefits and spoils' for one's supporters.
      Yet, in campaign statements for the municipal polls, Warmington told people at a rally in the town of Old Harbour that they would not receive hurricane-relief cheques unless they voted for his party. He said he had, in fact, advised the labour and social security minister, Pearnel Charles, not to distribute these cheques until after the vote.
      Unfortunately, Charles, in his public reaction to the comment, preferred to [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]dance[/COLOR][/COLOR] around the issue rather than outrightly condemn Warmington's vulgar assault on the people's right.
      But worse was the response of Delroy Chuck, who holds the lofty post of [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Speaker[/COLOR][/COLOR] of the House and not so long ago was the shadow justice minister. Chuck at first defended Warmington before settling on an explanation of exuberance.
      It would have been expected that given the furore over Warmington's bit of vulgarity, his political [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]colleagues[/COLOR][/COLOR] would be tempering, even for a while, any predilection to political excess.
      But within days, Montague, the minister of state for local government, was threatening voters elsewhere with not repairing their roads unless they voted for his party.
      Let's give both gentlemen the benefit of the doubt and assume that, in the heady environment of a political rally and with strong partisan support, they spoke out of turn; that they did not mean what they said. It would have been easy, in the circumstance, to quickly apologise, to offer a simple explanation. That, unhappily, was not the case.
      For several days neither gentleman responded to the public criticism. And in Warmington's case, when he was asked about the call by the election monitoring group, CAFFE, for his resignation, his response, as reported on Saturday, was that CAFFE did not hire him, so they could not fire him. In other words, Mr. Warmington could not care less about the views of civil society.
      At the official level, the leadership of the JLP and the government dithered over the issue, giving the impression that any eventual apology by Messrs. Montague and Warmington had to be the subject of negotiations between them and PM Golding.
      In the event Golding's authority is being tested and called into question, so, too, is his adminis-tration's commitment to decent governance. The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Oh,

Did Nicholson apologise after being upbraided and beg to keep his job?

Mek we see what happen to Warmington.

Comment

...and that's why wi still on the same course!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            ...and that's why wi still on the same course!!!
            You are all a bunch of hypocrites. When PJ went to Brown's Town and mek him talk, when AJ mek his talk, none of you said s h i t about it. Yes, Montaque was wrong and he apologized, yet unuh still have a problem? Did PJ apologize? Did AJ apologize? Unuh need fi get real now.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Go talk to Portia cousin for me! LoL

Comment

Who is really the hypocrite? Me for being disappointed that my vote kept me on the same course or the JLP for running a campaign based on a changed course where we will have a zero-tolerance approach to corruption only to find dat not a course nuh change?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who is really the hypocrite? Me for being disappointed that my vote kept me on the same course or the JLP for running a campaign based on a changed course where we will have a zero-tolerance approach to corruption only to find dat not a course nuh change?!?!
                  Have you ever heard a PNP minister apologize for anything yet? Bobby Montaque apologized, isn't that a step to show that the course has changed? The PM on hearing what was said was very much not pleased and made it clear that this isn't something he stands for.

What yuh mean by course nuh change? If any of unuh did mek up any noise if it was a PNP minister, dem would ask unuh if its the time of the month ... and unuh would affi tek it and cool. The man apologize ...as Omar and Balla would say, "Lets move on!"
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

And what about your apology? First yuh tried to prop up di corruption and now you are admitting that he is wrong. Well, doesn't that suggest that your feeble attempt to justify the friggery was also wrong?

Since dat is all unnu can do, let's have your apology too.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And what about your apology? First yuh tried to prop up di corruption and now you are admitting that he is wrong. Well, doesn't that suggest that your feeble attempt to justify the friggery was also wrong?

Since dat is all unnu can do, let's have your apology too.
                      What the hell are you talking about? Guh back guh read mi posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X