Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaly what you admire about

Lee Chin and not Butch?

I may not be right but I think it was Chin's family store they were beating workers.

Chin took over a NCB fi nothing much after years of mismanagement. Remember he got it at a good deal.

His cable company FLow is now taking over a lot of small man companies.

You think him a go give a break to the Jamaican poor?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

No, I don't think they were beating workers at a family store connected to Lee Chin. If memory serves me right, that incident was somewhere in the Christiana area.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

if that is the case thanks, I maybe wrong on that.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No tPolice to make arrests in SuperPlus beating
        Observer Reporter
        Thursday, January 19, 2006

Mandeville, Manchester - The Mandeville police were last night preparing to make arrests in relation to the alleged beating on Monday night, of two young employees of the SuperPlus supermarket chain in Mandeville.
        The police told the Observer late yesterday that warrants had been obtained for the arrest of three members of the SuperPlus managerial staff, as well as a "driver/delivery worker", on a range of charges including kidnapping, wounding and assault.
        The police declined to give the names of those to be charged.
        The allegations are that at about 7:30 pm Michael Sinclair, 18, and Renado Dawes, 20, both employees of the SuperPlus store on Park Crescent in Mandeville were accused of stealing a quantity of liquor.
        The two were allegedly taken by members of the store's supervisory staff to a home about a mile away where they were badly beaten with "blunt instruments". The two men received injuries to the head and body and were admitted to hospital on Monday night. They were released the following night.
        Detective Sergeant Owen Santo of the Mandeville Police is in charge of the investigation.
        hem own SuperPlus?

Comment

That's Wayne Chen I believe not Lee Chin.

Comment

Aren't they related? Not saying Mr. Chin encourage his worker to be beaten but the fact is because of the enviroment in which they worked it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Lee Chin and not Butch?

I may not be right but I think it was Chin's family store they were beating workers.

Chin took over a NCB fi nothing much after years of mismanagement. Remember he got it at a good deal.

His cable company FLow is now taking over a lot of small man companies.

You think him a go give a break to the Jamaican poor?
              two words "Gives Back"

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
                two words "Gives Back"
                Sticking to yuh guns ... even though you've been proven to be wrong.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

do a little more research on Butch giving back. My advise to you is don't move with the crowd on that.

Comment

Sandals/Beaches on rescue mission for coral reefs
                    Our Habitat

Sunday, June 03, 2007

SANDALS and Beaches Resorts in the St Ann/St Mary region have launched a monthly drive to rid coral reefs in the area of garbage and debris, while monitoring their rate of depletion.
                    They are to report their findings to the Project AWARE Foundation in the United States, in an effort to solicit assistance to slow the process.
                    The foundation, established in 1992, is the dive industry's leading non-profit organisation committed to conserving the underwater environment through education, advocacy and action.
                    Divers from Sandals/Beaches team, along with guests display garbage removed from coral reefs during their recent clean-up in the Ocho Rios area.
                    Grant programme funding is made possible by direct contributions from divers and water enthusiasts, and operates on a quarterly funding cycle. Project AWARE, meanwhile, provides grants to a variety of nonprofit organisations, and individuals involved in activities directly related to the conservation of underwater environments - both marine and freshwater.
                    The foundation works to accomplish its mission through support of programmes in selected focus areas, including:
                    . coral reef conservation and shark protection;
                    . sustainable fisheries and ecotourism (as related to underwater environment);
                    . aquatic education with a special interest in children;
                    . direct activities to conserve underwater resources, such as shoreline and underwater clean-ups, mooring buoy installations and maintenance.
                    Within these focus areas, projects may include:
                    . public education (formal and informal);
                    . grassroots conservation and enhancement projects;
                    . environmentally focused research that leads to conservation measures;
                    . public awareness initiatives; and
                    . environmental assessment and monitoring projects.
                    "The Sandals dive team embarks on the monthly clean-up exercise with help from guests staying at the various hotels. The team spends over an hour monthly at various reefs along the coast, diving and removing as much rubbish as possible," said Ian Spencer, public relations manager for the St Ann/St Mary region of Sandals/Beaches Resorts in a press release to Our Habitat.
                    "A large amount of garbage was removed from the Ocho Rios coastline recently and guests voiced their happiness at assisting in such an important event," he added.
                    Staff members have, meanwhile, raised concerns over the rate of depletion perceived on the reefs.
                    "Bancroft Roberts, diving supervisor at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios, who headed the recent clean-up team, said that he was very concerned at the large amount of rubbish being found on the reefs and the rate of depletion taking place," the release noted. "Mr Roberts noted that the clean-up was usually done once per year, but since the association with Project AWARE Foundation, it has escalated to a monthly effort. He is confident that once a final report is submitted to the Foundation, they will offer further assistance in combating the problem."

Comment

Lazie which black man you know have time fi go scuba diving fi enjoy the reef?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        Sticking to yuh guns ... even though you've been proven to be wrong.
                        Nobody has proved me wrong, Bricky posted i example of more recent times so that proves nothing. For the most part the plantocracy still controls most of the wealth in Jamaica's tourist industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
                          Nobody has proved me wrong, Bricky posted i example of more recent times so that proves nothing. For the most part the plantocracy still controls most of the wealth in Jamaica's tourist industry.
                          Yuh changing course from not giving back or who controls most of the wealth? Does this qualify as giving back?

Sandals to maintain mobile police unit

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Tourism Minister Ed Bartlett has lauded Gordon "Butch" Stewart's Sandals Resort International (SRI), for pledging to maintain the recently commissioned Mobile Command and Control Police Unit which will be operating along Montego Bay's 'Hip Strip'.

"Sandals Resort International has undertaken to maintain the unit and we are very happy. We think that that is the kind of partnership that we need between stakeholders and the ministry to achieve the high level of enhancement that our product needs to be competitive," Bartlett remarked.

Said Bartlett: "I can assure that I will be on the case of other stakeholders to deal with the case of other units at other locations when they have arrived."

The tourism minister, who was speaking on the weekend in Montego Bay at the commissioning of the mobile police station, said the vehicle, valued at $23.5 million, was acquired with an allocation from the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF). He indicated that similar units would be made available to cover the "Negril resort area, Ocho Rios resort area, Port Antonio resort area and the south coast".

The tourism minister also announced that closed circuit television (CCTV) would be installed along Montego Bay's "hip strip" to compliment the control vehicle, fitted with state-of-the-art surveillance equipment which has a capacity to scan within a four-mile radius.

"We are going to have an eye out there; a big eye so we can remove the thugs and the pimps and the hustlers and the pushers; so we can preserve the legitimate traders who are on the street and in their places of business; we can protect ourselves and our visitors," Bartlett said.
                          Meanwhile, Bartlett, who had said at the end of last month that the tourism industry recorded a nine per cent increase in stopover arrivals over the previous year, told the commissioning ceremony that there was a marked increase from the Canadian market.

He said that Montego Bay, which now "sees over 600,000 tourists per year is poised to have a million tourists coming here in the next few years".
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

'Butch' Stewart donates US$25,000 to teachers' college

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

GORDON 'Butch' Stewart, chairman of the Sandals/ATL Group, yesterday donated US$25,000 to the St Joseph's Teachers' College in Kingston towards the institution's refurbishing projects.
                            The money, approximately J$1.75 million, will be used to repair and refurbish some of the facilities for students on the campus.
                            Chairman of the Sandals/ATL GroupGordon 'Butch' Stewart starts up a conversation with student teachers in the assembly hall at St Joseph's Teachers' College yesterday. They are (from left) Calicia Douglas, Roxanne Hibbert and Kadian Henry. Stewart was at the institution where he donated US$25,000 towards its refurbishing projects. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
                            Principal Hazel Keating said she was very appreciative of Stewart's donation and pledged to send him pictures of the completed renovation work. "We are trying to refurbish the student lounges and the old hall which will be used for drama classes and productions. We also want to put up some gazebos on the campus so the areas where students sit to eat or to study can be covered," Keating said.
                            "Students need to have places for relaxation where they can come out of their dorms and have some fresh air," she added, speaking specifically about the gazebos.
                            Stewart's donation was solicited as part of a wider fund-raising effort taken on by the school and was done through one of the hotel mogul's former employees and current St Joseph's student, Donna Haynes.
                            Haynes was a vice-president of Sandals Canada for five years but she left the hotel industry and her own marketing consultancy behind to serve as a teacher. She is in the second year of her bachelor of arts programme in primary education.
                            "Teaching is what I've always wanted to do. I think the country needs more good teachers and I think I can contribute in that area," she said.
                            Haynes, who is almost 50, does not feel that her age should have been a hindrance to her career change.
                            "It's never too late to make a change especially if it's a positive change, for you."
                            Other companies that have contributed to St Joseph's renovation project include Digicel, Courts Jamaica Limited and Fidelity Motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                              Lazie which black man you know have time fi go scuba diving fi enjoy the reef?
                              Some of the guys that worked as Scuba divers at the resort that I worked. Dem count? Wait ... we may need a Mosiah, Sickko or Don1 fi confirm that.

Comment

Working...
                              X