Turns Out The Racist Scientist Is Part Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns Out The Racist Scientist Is Part Black

December 10, 2007, 10:10 am Watson’s Black D.N.A.: Ultimate Irony?

By Mike Nizza
    Tags: racism, science

Dr. James D. Watson (Photo: John Dunn for The New York Times)
    It turns out that the Nobel-winning geneticist who was “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” is inherently 16 percent African, or an amount of “someone who had a great-grandparent who was African,” according to a scientist who made the discovery.
    Two months ago, Dr. James Watson, who helped crack the D.N.A. code decades ago, apologized for suggesting black people, over all, are not as intelligent as whites. He also resigned as chancellor of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory on Long Island.
    “There are many people of color who are very talented,” he said. The comment, we now know, applied to 16 percent of him as well.

He also tried to stamp out any further talk by saying that “there is no scientific basis for such a belief.” Still, a debate erupted online when a Slate writer offered an academic defense of the claim that started the furor. Critics are still piling on, with Malcolm Gladwell being the latest in this week’s New Yorker.
    Richard E. Nisbett, a professor of psychology at the University of Michigan, offered another thorough rebuttal in a New York Times Op-Ed, “All Brains Are the Same Color.”
    “The evidence heavily favors the view that race differences in I.Q. are environmental in origin, not genetic,” he proposed.
    Dr. Watson set himself up for this ironic moment by agreeing earlier this year to be the first person to publish his genetic code for all to study. But he won’t be the last, as companies race to create relatively cost-effective ways to bring D.N.A. publishing to the masses.
    Those who join Dr. Watson in complete D.N.A. openness may be wise to remember two lessons from this episode: think before you speak, and also try to memorize all six billion letters of your genetic code.

I wonder if this photo was taken when he got back the DNA results and saw how black he was...he he he...maybe some of those here who behave like them better than the Jamaican population need to take this DNA test as well
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

btw...did the description of the wanted man who was killed actually saw that he was known to bleach his skin?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
        I wonder if this photo was taken when he got back the DNA results and saw how black he was...he he he...maybe some of those here who behave like them better than the Jamaican population need to take this DNA test as well
        I will not get into it but this is apropo !

Some on this board just can't see the big picture.

Comment

If that is the only description, they would have to lock up half a the youths in the ghetto
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
            I will not get into it but this is apropo !

Some on this board just can't see the big picture.
            But its is clear to me that Butch is part black.

Unno a call him white and maybe he is trying to pass, but mi nuh blind.

We are all of African root anyway, all humans are. Ask Muta. LoL

Comment

Working...
            X