Rising above deportee stigma - An ex-soldier's plight - Pt 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rising above deportee stigma - An ex-soldier's plight - Pt 2

(Here is the continutation of the article from last week)

Rising above deportee stigma - An ex-soldier's plight - Pt 2
    published: Monday | December 10, 2007

Paul H. Williams, Gleaner Writer

Charles Brown, an ex-policeman and a U.S. army veteran, was deported to Jamaica in January 2004, as a result of spending more than 12 months in jail for violating his probation for an aggravated battery no-contest conviction. The violation stemmed from a misdemeanour conviction for resisting arrest without violence. He's insisting he was unlawfully charged for resisting arrest, based on the facts of the case, and he wants the conviction overturned. But, while he waits to have the matter dealt with, he's not rolling over and playing dead, despite the initial setback that is so much a part of deportation.

Charles: "When I heard that I was on my way back, I was kinda feeling hurt." Because, going back was going to significantly affect certain family plans. It was also about going back to a lifestyle that perhaps would not be as privileged as the one he led prior to his incarceration. "It was difficult ... but I am gonna get them (cars and house), back right here in Jamaica.

"The first year when I came is like I was in disbelief about it ... I just tried to understand why this happened to me ... I was kinda all right, but not so all right." He said to himself, "Now, Mr. Brown, I am trying to find something to do to make you happy. What is it that you want to do?" This introspection was the effect of being at home all day doing nothing meaningful. Until, one day, he met a young cadet in St. Thomas.

Cadets from St.Thomas Technical High and Morant Bay High schools offer help to residents in the Trinityville and Danvers Pen area to descend and ascend the Negro River Bridge on July 19, 2005, after a section of it was washed away during the passage of Hurricane Dennis. - Ian Allen/Staff photographer

Charles: "So I saw this cadet and he said he goes to a certain school (Morant Bay High School), ... he said a major was in charge. I went to this major and said, hey, I am an ex-police and an ex-soldier ... and he brought me to the principal." After showing his documents outlining his credentials, he was allowed to work with the Jamaica Combined Cadet Force at the school as a volunteer instructor.

"So, I get these cadets now, training them, teaching them, drilling them three days a week ... for an entire year," he said. This preparation was to come in handy 'in 2005 when Hurricane Dennis came about; the Danvers Pen bridge was torn to pieces. I called the relevant authorities, and I, (along with the cadets,) was able to go there for two months."
    Collaborating with government, private individuals and entities, he and the cadets assisted stranded residents over what was left of the original structure, until it was restored.
    Later, he volunteered as an information technology instructor at Lyssons Primary School, in St. Thomas, and as a system support technician at the Cyber Centre, at the St. Thomas Parish Library. He also assists the St. Thomas Parish Council in disaster co-ordinating efforts, as a member of the Community Emergency Response Team. Yet, Charles wants to be more than just a volunteer. Owning a computer training school is his big dream, and that's why at age 43, he's going back to school.

Returning to the classroom seems more like of an upgrading journey for a man who already has an impressive resume. Charles possesses a certificate in criminal justice from the Jamaica Police Academy, a certificate in military science, which he received with honours from the U.S. army. He is also a certified network administrator and a certified computer service technician.

A section of his curriculum vitae states: "Worked with multiple vendor helpdesk in an effort to resolve technical problems pertaining to LAN/WAN servers and applications within a company; over 12 years direct working experience with Windows operating systems to include infrastructure services and active directory; fully familiar with IBM, Dell and HP hardware; experience with Microsoft SQL, Exchange, Firewall configuration, TCP configuration, creating Intranet or sub-netting along with Unix/Linux servers."
    Further studies Already the holder of an associate in science degree in computer programming and applications from South Florida Community College, and numerous computer training certificates, he intends to pursue a Cisco Certified Network Associate Certi-ficate at the Vocational Training and Development Institute, and after that a post-diploma bachelor's degree in computing and information technology at the University of Technology, Jamaica.

Charles: "Upon completion I want a place with 18 computers, and all I want to do is just to teach the youths in St. Thomas, so what I am trying to work on is an NGO (non-government organisation) ... and I want to get the help of Jamaicans in the diaspora, and that's all I want to do, help St. Thomas youths." He's even assisting two students with their academic expenses.

Such is the intention of the man who doesn't want to be labelled a 'deportee' because of the stigma attached to it, and because he claimed he "was seized in violation of the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, unlawfully convicted and then removed to Jamaica."

I love the US

And while he's committed to the academic development of the youths in St. Thomas, he still harbours thoughts of returning to the United States. Charles: "I am going to tell you the honest truth from the bottom of my heart. If I say I don't love America, I would be lying, and I would love to get my green card back, and the conviction overturned. That's my problem ... I spent 19 years in America, and I love it to my heart. It's one of the greatest places to live." But, he's not living there now. And, is he wallowing in self-pity? "No! Why? I am strong. When I look at what happened to other people I say 'Charlie, you are strong'. (For) that was my biggest fear in the U.S., to go to prison. And I went and I made use of it, computer service technician, electronics technology certificate, all of these came out of prison ... I am at peace with myself, and what happened to me could never make me a criminal, for in order for you to be a criminal, you got to first have a criminal mind, and that's what I don't have."
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X