• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Principles, personalities and politics

Principles, personalities and politics
    published: Monday | December 10, 2007

Colin Steer, Associate Editor - Opinion
    A younger colleague sometimes jokingly quotes his grandmother saying, 'If you live long enough, eventually you'll see everything'. I've been reminded of that quote frequently over the last few months as I've listened to and read the analyses of various pundits pontificating on decisions taken by the new Government.

As often happens in Jamaica, whenever controversies arise, the personalities involved, and our loyalties or sympathies tend often to determine the lens through which we view principles. The recent arguments over conflict of interest involving Butch Stewart and his protégés or point men being appointed to key positions in the public sector or private sector organisations and the appointment of a new Solicitor General are cases in point.

Character of past relationships
    Who would have thought that Mr. Stewart could have become such a pariah to the People's National Party (PNP), given the character of past relationships in the early 1990s and even up early 2005? Those who are now very concerned about a conflict of interest were apparently not so bothered when Mr. Stewart was handed Air Jamaica to do with it what he would. The potential use of the airline to piggyback on Mr. Stewart's other business ventures in their various marketing programmes was not of much concern then.

With the then chairman of the airline's board, Vin Lawrence, being a PNP heavyweight yet having his fingers in many aspects of national affairs, there was hardly any great concern about conflicts then either. These appointments were deemed to have been made on merit and the abilities of the persons involved.

Remember when Mr. Stewart was being hailed as Jamaica's super patriot after the Save the Dollar Initiative when there was an intervention to halt the slide in the value of the Jamaican dollar against the U.S. currency below six to one? The passions employed in denouncing Stewart in recent months were also deployed then to defend him. Such is life - money makes and breaks friendships.

And so it is with the controversy or the well-lettered Professor Vasciannie. I can easily agree with all the lawyers - QCs and village - who have merged to quote liberally from the Constitution that as far as the 'Letter of the Law' goes, the Public Service Commission acted within the ambit of its legal purview. For to allow the PM to have his way on this occasion where the Constitution does not expressly give him the final authority is to open the door to more egregious interference down the road. I am not convinced, however, that many of the poeple arguing in defence of the Constitution and its provisions are doing so primarily from a position of principle.

I recall a stand-off in the late 1970s between the Manley administration and the then Governor-General Sir Florizel Glasspole. The Government of the day made a recommendation for some person or persons to be appointed to the local Privy Council. Sir Florizel ignored the recommendation(s). There was great consternation in the Government and among its supporters.

For Sir Florizel, who had by then been dubbed one of the 'reactionaries' to social progress, was deemed to be playing politics in ignoring the expressed recommendations of Mr. Manley. I have no doubt that among those who were opposed to Sir Florizel's action then, are among those today 'upholding the sanctity of the Constitution' and vice versa.
    It was not so long ago that Contractor General Greg Christie was being labelled a self-promoting, obstructionist busybody for insisting that the law be followed in relation to the tendering of public sector contracts. I have lived long enough to know that in Jamaica, principle is what we make of it, when it suits us.
    So, in a little while, other controversies will arise and when they do, mark well and listen to who is...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Excellent!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Heh, heh.. man ah call unnuh out.

Comment

Working...
      X