Break the silence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break the silence!

Talk to authorities, citizens urged, Rival gangs brokering deals that keep residents from testifying

Rival gangs are brokering deals - even from behind bars - to enforce the culture of silence that mitigates the crime-fighting efforts of the police and the apprehension of criminals. It is a situation that has baffled the police, who are struggling to get citizens to "tell them what they know".

Mark Shields, deputy commissioner of police (DCP), tells The Sunday Gleaner in an interview, these "deals" guarantee that residents on both sides of the warring fractions, who have witnessed criminal acts, will not talk to the police, pick them (criminals) out of an identification parade, or testify in court.

"It has been happening for years," he reveals. "It would not be appropriate to give you a specific case, but it is something that I am aware of and it is something that my JCF (Jamaica Constabulary Force) colleagues have made me aware of, that for a long time, when criminals are locked up from either side, they broker a deal and then we are forced to release them because the evidence is withdrawn," adds Shields.

Constant problem

While the senior officer would not describe the occurrence as rampant, he says it remains a constant problem that needs to be addressed because after the suspects are released, they return to their criminal ways.

The former Scotland Yard detective says he is not sure how the police can combat this alliance. "Frankly, with that particular thing, I am at a loss. I think what we have to do is rely more strongly on other evidence. I have been driving as hard as I can for the use of technology and forensic evidence as well," he tells The Sunday Gleaner.

Until then, Shields believes that crime will go unabated if the citizenry continues to refuse to speak to the cops. "What's happening at the moment is that the criminals are being given confidence and the arrogance to go on committing crime because they are of the belief that nobody will stand up and do the right thing and give evidence, and quite often, they are right," he adds.

However, breaking the silence may not be as easy as the cop believes. Janet Duplantis (not her real name) whose husband was murdered recently, says even if she had witnessed the murder, she would not have gone to the police.

"If I had anything to say, I wouldn't say it, because maybe my life would be at stake. That's how I see it," the grieving widow said. On the other hand, Duplantis says if she witnessed a crime, she would feel comfortable talking to her pastor. She thinks the reality is that many people are scared into silence. Asked if she knew that there are police in the force whom she could trust, with a chuckle, she responds: "Really? Well I really don't know."

People are afraid

Duplantis says that many people are silent because they are very afraid that the information they give would be leaked to the criminals by corrupt cops. "The whole thing about breaking the silence is caused by fear, because you don't know who is who. It's just fear, fear, fear all the way."

When our news team asked the mother of three if she would want people to come forward and give evidence in her husband's case, she said yes, but would not ask them to, out of fear for their safety. "It's not that I wouldn't encourage them, but I am worried about their safety," she stated.

While accepting the realities that exist, DCP Shields believes the advent of anonymous methods of giving information should make it significantly easier. "It is no longer tenable that you cannot trust the police because we have offered so many ways in which we can be contacted. I think people are afraid, but they should be more afraid of the criminals than they are of the police."

But Duplantis believes that some of the criminals wear the JCF uniform. "Some of the police are criminals themselves," she said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    Duplantis says that many people are silent because they are very afraid that the information they give would be leaked to the criminals by corrupt cops. "The whole thing about breaking the silence is caused by fear, because you don't know who is who. It's just fear, fear, fear all the way."

When our news team asked the mother of three if she would want people to come forward and give evidence in her husband's case, she said yes, but would not ask them to, out of fear for their safety. "It's not that I wouldn't encourage them, but I am worried about their safety," she stated.

While accepting the realities that exist, DCP Shields believes the advent of anonymous methods of giving information should make it significantly easier. "It is no longer tenable that you cannot trust the police because we have offered so many ways in which we can be contacted. I think people are afraid, but they should be more afraid of the criminals than they are of the police."

But Duplantis believes that some of the criminals wear the JCF uniform. "Some of the police are criminals themselves," she said.
    Lady you are not alone in your belief. Because many feel and some have proof that nuff of the police are criminals themselves.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
    X