• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sycophant in Blue

True blue for life
    Dennis Chung
    Friday, December 07, 2007

Last Saturday was one of the happiest days of my life, when Jamaica College (JC), the greatest institution in the world, won the Manning Cup for the first time in 33 years. Anyone who knows me well understands that the reason JC was my only choice at Common Entrance was because of its football tradition. I waited for 30 years after entering JC to see the Manning Cup come home to its rightful place, and even after so long I will still take it. For me the Manning Cup is more meaningful than any other trophy JC has lifted, which since I entered included everything else. Much respect to the team and coaching staff that brought it home for all the JC alumni.

As I always say to my friends there are two types of people in this world, those who went to JC and those who wish they went to JC. This great institution has produced many Jamaicans who have and continue to make significant contributions to Jamaica. We have produced three of Jamaica's eight Prime Ministers to date (Norman Manley, Michael Manley, and Bruce Golding), a West Indies cricket captain (Jimmy Adams), Olympians (such as John Mair who is a part of the current coaching staff), scholars (such as Professor Hall and Trevor Munroe), and business greats (such as Karl Hendrickson, Jimmy Moss-Solomon and Maurice Facey). And the list goes on and on of great Jamaicans we have produced.

Winners

And we will continue to produce contributors to Jamaican development, which I would feel proud to be named amongst one day. All JC alumni, present and past should be aware of the tradition of greatness they have to uphold once they enter JC.

Seriously though, what an institution like JC shows us is the effect a single institution can have on national development. And such an approach may not be a bad one to take. Of course we want to see the entire country develop to the highest standard, but in every development there are always winners that lead the way. In other words, while we develop the entire country we need to look at centres of excellence that will lead the way.
    We have seen this in tourism where Sandals and Superclubs have set the standard for all other hotels to follow. We see it in business also where one or two have been leaders in their industry, for example in the fast food business many have developed their model based on KFC. This is the way that markets operate, and we will see where new leaders will emerge once a new entrant improves on the previous standard or the current leader falters. As an example, the prominence that Microsoft once held in the technology industry is being shared today by companies such as Google and Apple. Similarly countries lose prominence over time and new super powers emerge.

What is takes, though, is for high standards to be set by one or two institutions and for the market to encourage others to follow. This is one of the significant problems that Jamaica has faced, particularly with crime, over the past ten to fifteen years. Standards have been set, as will always happen when a vacuum is left, but left unguided those standards will be the wrong ones. When we look at the crime situation, we see that what has happened is that over the years the general breakdown of law and order has led to standards of viciousness, corruption, and easy money being set. Because we have failed to institute effective organs of discipline such as in schools or an effective police force, we have left Jamaicans to develop standards for their own survival. There are no rules that they must obey and so the natural laws kick in and people do whatever is necessary to survive.

Because of the bureaucracies we have created, and the lax manner in which we have sought to enforce laws, if they are enforced at all, we have succeeded in creating a society where indiscipline is the order of the day. I have been writing for a while that if we want to deal with the crime problem in Jamaica we must attack it from the basic levels of discipline.
    In other words we have to ensure that the laws of the road and public nuisance are obeyed. I mean, how can we expect to solve crime if we cannot even enforce discipline on the roads and the Noise Abatement Act.

General indiscipline

Two weekends ago I was exiting through a one-way and a taxi sought to enter, indicating to me (the person with the right) that I should move over and allow him to break the one-way. Well, I refused to do so, standing my ground, and eventually he had to reverse onto the road and allow the traffic that had piled up to leave. What was noteworthy also was that the people in the taxi were on his side, demonstrating the level of indiscipline in the society. I was watching the news a few nights ago and saw where the police went to shut down a dance that had gone on until the next morning, and the patrons were on camera saying that the police were fighting against them.
    A few mornings ago Emily Crooks was speaking to a policeman, Radcliffe Lewis, who said that a mother of a wanted gunman, whom they found dead with a gun in his hand, was saying that she would report the police to Wilmot Perkins and Cliff Hughes because they were looking for her son. The irony is that the police found him on the bed beside his mother murdered by other gunmen.

These examples show that the problem we face today is not just a few gunmen running around and terrorising the country, but a general breakdown in law and order that has led to a society that does not appreciate the difference between wrong and right, including many in the police force. So how does arranging a few police operations to tackle this solve the problem? It doesn't. What is needed is a general approach to dealing with discipline in the society and making people know that even the most trivial of laws must be upheld or the law will hold you accountable. Unless we start with the visible areas such as the roads and noise disturbances, it will only be one successful operation after another without any general effect.

This again brings me back to JC, where the current Chairman (another great Danny Williams) and the principal (Ruel Reid) have made significant strides with the school.
    The discipline has improved tremendously and with it the academic performances. They, however, never started by trying to clean up the discipline with "sting operations" among the student body. They ensured that the teachers first and foremost were brought in line and then the students were made to follow the rules and the standards of excellence that were set. When one goes to JC today we will see signs such as "The school of champions" placed around the school yard, as we try to impress upon the students that they are in fact champions, having to deal with them as products of an undisciplined society.

The programme of JC's transformation is working, although we have had incidents such as the unfortunate fatal stabbing some days ago. It will be a process, but we will continue to have our eyes on the prize and will get there, both for JC and Jamaica. but as all JC alumni, past and present know, FERVET OPUS IN CAMPIS.

E-mail: dra_chung@hotmail.com
    To view this and other recent articles and post a comment go to http://dcjottings.blogspot.com
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Wonder how he is feeling now when he found out they cheated to win as the winning goal went in off the player's hand...the player admitted it on TV
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Trevor went to JC???

I always knew him as a Georgian. Even Bruce only went to JC for 6th form. Both are Georgians to my knowledge.

In 1959, StGC and JC were tiedon 14 wins each and then WE had our 24 year drought.

I find it amusing that that he think people actually WANTED to go JC. For the common entrance I picked StGC for First and second choice. JC never even entered my mind. Very few pals at school chose JC. KC was more popular.

Comment

i hope him don't feel no way. these things happen in football, sickko, even world cup matches. low dem mek dem celebrate.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          Trevor went to JC???

I always knew him as a Georgian. Even Bruce only went to JC for 6th form. Both are Georgians to my knowledge.

In 1959, StGC and JC were tiedon 14 wins each and then WE had our 24 year drought.

I find it amusing that that he think people actually WANTED to go JC. For the common entrance I picked StGC for First and second choice. JC never even entered my mind. Very few pals at school chose JC. KC was more popular.
          Yes I 've always heard that Trevor Munroe went to Georges .... never heard him connected to JC.... he probably applied too late.
          As to Golding, he realized his error and spent the next 5 years trying to rectify it... finally succeeding for 6th form. That he only had a limited tenure at JC may account for some of his less than progressive political tendencies.

Regarding people wanting to go to JC, many obviously did (yours truly for example, driven by family history) but certainly not ALL, JC was never "popular" like that..... being seen as aloof and elitist by Joe Public.... with sound historical reasoning appropriate for a generation or 2 ago.

As I said the guy is a JC sycophant and clearly never witnessed a JC Manning triumph B4. ..... forgive him his youthful exuberance.

As a witness of the 1974 victory as a very young student and the 1968 win as a wannabe, I take such matters more in stride.
          Last edited by Don1; December 8, 2007, 09:57 AM.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
            Yes I 've always heard that Trevor Munroe went to Georges .... never heard him connected to JC.... he probably applied too late.
            As to Golding, he realized his error and spent the next 5 years trying to rectify it... finally succeeding for 6th form. That he only had a limited tenure at JC may account for some of his less than progressive political tendencies.

Regarding people wanting to go to JC, many obviously did (yours truly for example, driven by family history) but certainly not ALL, JC was never "popular" like that..... being seen as aloof and elitist by Joe Public.... with sound historical reasoning appropriate for a generation or 2 ago.

As I said the guy is a JC sycophant and clearly never witnessed a JC Manning triumph B4. ..... forgive him his youthful exuberance.

As a witness of the 1974 victory as a very young student and the 1968 win as a wannabe, I take such matters more in stride.
            Its all good Don. LoL

Both Trev and Ronnie are Georgians and were at a recent old boys honouring ceremony with Dwight Nelson and Don Wehby.

StGC is not a school that is big on self-promotion, so you never see us try to engage in much self-agrandisement. We know who we are and the self confidence in inside forming a core of steel. We are dragon-slayers after all! LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              True blue for life
              Dennis Chung
              Friday, December 07, 2007

Last Saturday was one of the happiest days of my life, when Jamaica College (JC), the greatest institution in the world, won the Manning Cup for the first time in 33 years. Anyone who knows me well understands that the reason JC was my only choice at Common Entrance was because of its football tradition. I waited for 30 years after entering JC to see the Manning Cup come home to its rightful place, and even after so long I will still take it. For me the Manning Cup is more meaningful than any other trophy JC has lifted, which since I entered included everything else. Much respect to the team and coaching staff that brought it home for all the JC alumni.

As I always say to my friends there are two types of people in this world, those who went to JC and those who wish they went to JC. This great institution has produced many Jamaicans who have and continue to make significant contributions to Jamaica. We have produced three of Jamaica's eight Prime Ministers to date (Norman Manley, Michael Manley, and Bruce Golding), a West Indies cricket captain (Jimmy Adams), Olympians (such as John Mair who is a part of the current coaching staff), scholars (such as Professor Hall and Trevor Munroe), and business greats (such as Karl Hendrickson, Jimmy Moss-Solomon and Maurice Facey). And the list goes on and on of great Jamaicans we have produced.

Winners

And we will continue to produce contributors to Jamaican development, which I would feel proud to be named amongst one day. All JC alumni, present and past should be aware of the tradition of greatness they have to uphold once they enter JC.

Seriously though, what an institution like JC shows us is the effect a single institution can have on national development. And such an approach may not be a bad one to take. Of course we want to see the entire country develop to the highest standard, but in every development there are always winners that lead the way. In other words, while we develop the entire country we need to look at centres of excellence that will lead the way.
              We have seen this in tourism where Sandals and Superclubs have set the standard for all other hotels to follow. We see it in business also where one or two have been leaders in their industry, for example in the fast food business many have developed their model based on KFC. This is the way that markets operate, and we will see where new leaders will emerge once a new entrant improves on the previous standard or the current leader falters. As an example, the prominence that Microsoft once held in the technology industry is being shared today by companies such as Google and Apple. Similarly countries lose prominence over time and new super powers emerge.

What is takes, though, is for high standards to be set by one or two institutions and for the market to encourage others to follow. This is one of the significant problems that Jamaica has faced, particularly with crime, over the past ten to fifteen years. Standards have been set, as will always happen when a vacuum is left, but left unguided those standards will be the wrong ones. When we look at the crime situation, we see that what has happened is that over the years the general breakdown of law and order has led to standards of viciousness, corruption, and easy money being set. Because we have failed to institute effective organs of discipline such as in schools or an effective police force, we have left Jamaicans to develop standards for their own survival. There are no rules that they must obey and so the natural laws kick in and people do whatever is necessary to survive.

Because of the bureaucracies we have created, and the lax manner in which we have sought to enforce laws, if they are enforced at all, we have succeeded in creating a society where indiscipline is the order of the day. I have been writing for a while that if we want to deal with the crime problem in Jamaica we must attack it from the basic levels of discipline.
              In other words we have to ensure that the laws of the road and public nuisance are obeyed. I mean, how can we expect to solve crime if we cannot even enforce discipline on the roads and the Noise Abatement Act.

General indiscipline

Two weekends ago I was exiting through a one-way and a taxi sought to enter, indicating to me (the person with the right) that I should move over and allow him to break the one-way. Well, I refused to do so, standing my ground, and eventually he had to reverse onto the road and allow the traffic that had piled up to leave. What was noteworthy also was that the people in the taxi were on his side, demonstrating the level of indiscipline in the society. I was watching the news a few nights ago and saw where the police went to shut down a dance that had gone on until the next morning, and the patrons were on camera saying that the police were fighting against them.
              A few mornings ago Emily Crooks was speaking to a policeman, Radcliffe Lewis, who said that a mother of a wanted gunman, whom they found dead with a gun in his hand, was saying that she would report the police to Wilmot Perkins and Cliff Hughes because they were looking for her son. The irony is that the police found him on the bed beside his mother murdered by other gunmen.

These examples show that the problem we face today is not just a few gunmen running around and terrorising the country, but a general breakdown in law and order that has led to a society that does not appreciate the difference between wrong and right, including many in the police force. So how does arranging a few police operations to tackle this solve the problem? It doesn't. What is needed is a general approach to dealing with discipline in the society and making people know that even the most trivial of laws must be upheld or the law will hold you accountable. Unless we start with the visible areas such as the roads and noise disturbances, it will only be one successful operation after another without any general effect.

This again brings me back to JC, where the current Chairman (another great Danny Williams) and the principal (Ruel Reid) have made significant strides with the school.
              The discipline has improved tremendously and with it the academic performances. They, however, never started by trying to clean up the discipline with "sting operations" among the student body. They ensured that the teachers first and foremost were brought in line and then the students were made to follow the rules and the standards of excellence that were set. When one goes to JC today we will see signs such as "The school of champions" placed around the school yard, as we try to impress upon the students that they are in fact champions, having to deal with them as products of an undisciplined society.

The programme of JC's transformation is working, although we have had incidents such as the unfortunate fatal stabbing some days ago. It will be a process, but we will continue to have our eyes on the prize and will get there, both for JC and Jamaica. but as all JC alumni, past and present know, FERVET OPUS IN CAMPIS.

E-mail: dra_chung@hotmail.com
              To view this and other recent articles and post a comment go to http://dcjottings.blogspot.com
              bwoy?
              yuh an Willi?
              Unnuh tink town a Jamaica?
              Mannings and Munro past student!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                bwoy?
                yuh an Willi?
                Unnuh tink town a Jamaica?
                Mannings and Munro past student!
                Mannings has beautiful architecture.

Manrow have a good rep, but never been there.

Comment

Mannings has a great architectural piece. Wouldn't say the school has "great architecture".

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Mannings has a great architectural piece. Wouldn't say the school has "great architecture".
                    Throw mi corn...lure di fowl. LoL

Comment

Don't get it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't get it.
                        The Manrow refernce was a jibe at you to draw you out ...and it worked like a charm. LoL

Comment

With all due respect, that argument makes no sense. You did not make a comment on Munro's architecture. Or did I miss that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                            Mannings has beautiful architecture.

Manrow have a good rep, but never been there.
                            The Munro Chapel falls in line there!

Check my avatar - Manning's today! Ignore the person!
                            Munro Chapel tomorrow!
                            Last edited by Karl; December 9, 2007, 03:25 PM.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

With all due respect, that argument makes no sense. You did not make a comment on Munro's architecture. Or did I miss that?
                              Ahhhhrrrggghhh,

Mo you slow today.

It is the deliberate misspelling. I guess it did not work. LoL

Comment

Working...
                              X