• Show
Clear All

• Government of Jamaica keen on Negril cruise ship port

Government of Jamaica keen on Negril cruise ship port
    published: Wednesday | December 5, 2007

Nagra Plunkett, Assignment Coordinator

Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett. - File

WESTERN BUREAU:
    The government is said to be fine-tuning plans for the construction of a cruise ship port between Green Island, Hanover, and the tourist resort area of Negril in Westmoreland.

"One of the areas we are looking at is to expand the number of ports in Jamaica where we will be having cruise visits in the future," announced Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett. "We are looking at Negril as one of the areas to be developed."

The tourism minister was speaking at Sunday's official opening of the multimillion-dollar Kool Runnings Water Park in Negril, which he said offers a new dimension to attraction development.

Investor ready
    Minister Bartlett also disclosed that an investor had already communicated an interest to invest in the cruise sub-sector. Details, he said, would be available in time for his 2008 budget presentation.

"Attractions for us is the way forward to lift not only the out-turn in tourism arrivals to achieve our goal of five million visitors by 2015, but also to increase the per-capita spent from the measly US$100 per head to a minimum of US$150 and beyond in a shorter period than 2015," he said.

"We are going to look at how we can give further encouragement to Jamaicans to invest in signature attractions that bring marquee value to the product, attractions that by themselves bring people to Jamaica."

Work on the redevelopment of the port in Falmouth, Trelawny, is to begin next February, in time for the arrival of the new mega cruise liner, Freedom of the Seas, which is due to arrive in 2009.

The other ports of call are Montego Bay, St. James; Ocho Rios, St. Ann; and Port Antonio, Portland.

Increased arrivals critical
    According to the tourism minister, increased visitor arrivals were critical to the sustainability of attractions like Kool Runnings, and to make a business of the island's fledgling accommodation subsector.

He added that the Jamaica Attractions Development Company would be revived to drive the diversification of the tourism product.

Wayne Cummings, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, commended Dr. Garfield Munroe and his wife, Margaret, for the concept of the water park.

"Attraction is the linkage in which we are going to see phenomenal growth and the sector that will fill the additional rooms being built," he said.

nagra.plunkett@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; December 5, 2007, 01:47 PM.

Thanks for considering Hanover for a Crusie Ship port Mr Bartlett.

For the politically correct posters and others, what is it that don't make sense here?

Comment

TDowl, just come out and say it. Most here like me are clueless about the West.

Comment

Question: Exactly where is that pier going to be sited?

...and, why Green Island with no deep water area, unless the ships are going to dock 'out at sea' and passengers ferried in...or, a massive dredging takes place at the detriment of the mangroves, beaches, etc...

...and not Lucea where there is already a deep water pier and where passengers could step from ship onto the shore?

Just asking...or, is it that genetically connected persons own lands in the Green Island area and that means...as happened under pervious governments that a little thing like billions of dollars of unnecessary expenditure is 'monkey money'?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Question: Exactly where is that pier going to be sited?

...and, why Green Island with no deep water area, unless the ships are going to dock 'out at sea' and passengers ferried in...or, a massive dredging takes place at the detriment of the mangroves, beaches, etc...

...and not Lucea where there is already a deep water pier and where passengers could step from ship onto the shore?

Just asking...or, is it that genetically connected persons own lands in the Green Island area and that means...as happened under pervious governments that a little thing like billions of dollars of unnecessary expenditure is 'monkey money'?
          Based on ecol considerations, there is almost no justification for dredging in that region.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Based on ecol considerations, there is almost no justification for dredging in that region.

That is also my thinking!
            ...and, why ignore the Lucea harbour?

Bazil Fernandez a government point man is from that area of Hanover and can give expert advice...was he consulted?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Just up the 9 miles up the highway where the good Minister propose to build a cruseship port, lies the safest harbor in Jamaica, which is only 25 minutes away from Negril in the West, 9 miles to the East is Tryall golf course, 7 miles is Chucka Cove, soon to come on stream within 3 miles is the Dolphin Cove(20 acres) & the Fiesta Golf course within 2 miles. Then there is Blenhiem 7 miles, Dolphin Head Mountain Tour 7 miles, three water falls, but click onto this link and tell me what you see in the harbor: http//marinas.com/view/overview/288.

I notice yuh friends are staying wide from this one, ah wonder why?

Comment

I dont know why anyone staying away from anything.

Deal with me only. I deal with common sense and if what you say spells sense, then I am with you.

Comment

Repost the link.

It does not work.

Comment

Drop-dead gorgeous Lucea Harbour!

Why is it the safest harbour in Jamaica? No sharks? Pirates?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem a try rob Pt Royal reputation.

LoL

Haffi watch the West man dem. LoL

Comment

the horse shoes shape with the hills in the background makes it safe from hurricanes.

I know there were plans long time to develop it but it will need a lot of dredging as well as it is not deep and this dredging will be very expensive and an on going project.
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Re hurricanes, is that a scientific fact or Sickko's Theorem?

Karl nuh say dat di port deep enuff and no dredging would be needed?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not mine at all...that is one of the places the owners of the big expensive yachts and big boats park their toys when storms threaten and what i had been told a long time ago.
                            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

Check PJ.. is him did promise a Port den renege and gi dem one hotel instead...

Comment

Working...
                              X