Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another solid waste shake-up

- Job cuts to save $34.5 million at NSWMA

Acting on a promise to turn around the tainted image of the scandal-ridden National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA), newly appointed executive director, Joan Gordon-Webley, has fired 23 management-level employees from the agency that she believes is top-heavy.

The dismissals which took place last week could save the state-owned garbage collection company more than $34.5 million per annum. Among the casualties was the human resource manager, the only position left vacant that will be filled.

"Inasmuch as we are out there removing garbage from the streets, we have to remove our own garbage. We have to clean up," Gordon-Webley told The Gleaner yesterday.

All of the middle-management positions that were terminated were in the department that deals with parks. While the parks manager still has his job, two tiers of middle managers below him have been removed and will not be reinstated.

"It was an excess on the purse of the country," Mrs. Gordon-Webley said. "None of the positions warranted that salary."

The executive director pointed out that one of the persons who was receiving $1.2 million per year, was "supervising the strip from the top of Mountain View (Avenue) to the bottom".

Mrs. Gordon-Webley, whose appointment early last month sparked much public debate, said she was of the view that the executive agency was top-heavy and warned that more cuts were forthcoming.

"We have another set of people who only come to the office to collect their salary," she said.

Warning shots

She also fired warning shots at the company's directors. "I have already told the directors that if, in fact, I have to search and find all these things happening, it means that they are not managing properly and I can't recommend that they stay here because this is taxpayers' money," Mrs. Gordon-Webley said.

While she has discovered several unpleasant situations at the NSWMA, Mrs. Gordon-Webley said she has found some managers and staff members who are hard-working.

"If we are able to have a leaner and more productive NSWMA, then you will have a basis to upgrade those hard-working persons' salary and working conditions which are at the lowest level," she said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Seems like Webley a work
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      -

"Inasmuch as we are out there removing garbage from the streets, we have to remove our own garbage. We have to clean up," Gordon-Webley told The Gleaner yesterday.
      Nice! reference to people?

More unemployed?
      JLP fiyah-in pan haul cylinda dem?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Or reference to crap management practices?

dont get jumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          Or reference to crap management practices?

dont get jumpy.
          Just thinking on the evidence of the work 'Solid Waste' does...if retaining the workers and hiring more could have us have clean villages and towns?

...not to mention that in-roads into the unemployment figures would also occur????
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl is defending slackness of people getting paid for not doing any work.

Him fi do better.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You prove with every post that you and your type have been part of the problem in Jamaica.

Dem fi guh FIND SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE FI DUH and stap live off a taxpayer.. yuh know how much people in the private sector don't earn $1.2 Million and doing more than watch 1 Mile of Median !!

Comment

Is a mentality.. ah wondah what him God Manley woulda tink bout dis ?

Comment

dat sound extortionate to mi!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Karl is defending slackness of people getting paid for not doing any work.

Him fi do better.
                    I thought we were agreed that 'Solid Waste' is doing a poor job?
                    I also thought we were agreed that there is a massive unemployment problem?

Would you, in such circumstances, put the Managers to do 'good work' and expand 'Solid Waste' i.e. hire more workers to for the first time at last do that for which they are paid i.e. clean the villages and towns and keep them clean?

I think it should not be about firing people - but, getting the job done. I am sure in daily operations of entities some workers will have to 'move on'...but, in a situation such we have in JA...???

...but, then my 'policy' includes increasing giovernment sending and employment! Have always said so!

Comment

What?!!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not when you running a 600 million deficit.

Cut and make the company more efficient by getting all a the dead wood.

How can you make somebody who is getting paid for doing nothing work? Tell me

Comment

i guess karl is saying that they must now find something for them to do....dem should give back di **************** money whey dem collect for doing nothing!!!!!

dem lucky!

Comment

A wonder which other government, company, organization, business operate that way. You find somebody getting pay to do nothing and you reward them with more task.

No wonder we have so many bodies a make them huge loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              Not when you running a 600 million deficit.

Cut and make the company more efficient by getting all a the dead wood.

How can you make somebody who is getting paid for doing nothing work? Tell me
                              Is 'Solid Waste' supposed to be a profitable entity?
                              Where does it receive its income?

Just one thought - If it receives its income from businesses and citizens...then is it not about improving efficiencies and making sure rates are such that a profit can be made?

Comment

Working...
                              X