X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLINT starts foundation with US$1m to help needy Jamaicans

OLINT starts foundation with US$1m to help needy Jamaicans

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Foreign exchange trading club OLINT last Tuesday announced that it had established a foundation to help needy Jamaicans, especially children with special needs, and poured in a whopping US$1 million to demonstrate its commitment.

At the same time, OLINT founder David Smith appealed to his club members to donate to the foundation, reminding them of the benefit of giving.
    Jared Martinez (left), of United States-based Market Traders Institute, presents his pledge of J$10 million towards the OLINT Foundation to OLINT founder David Smith last Tuesday at the announcement of the OLINT Foundation at the Mona Visitors' Lodge on the University of the West Indies campus in Kingston. Also photographed is Smith's wife, Tracy Ann (2nd right), Mrs Martinez and her son Jacob. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)
    Smith's appeal was quickly answered by Jared Martinez of Market Traders Institute out of the United States who pledged J$10 million to the foundation during his address at the well-attended function at the Mona Visitors' Lodge on the University of the West Indies campus in Kingston.
    Martinez described the founders of the OLINT Foundation as "ordinary people doing extraordinary things".

Tracy Ann Smith, board member of the OLINT Foundation and wife of David Smith, said that the mission of the foundation fully embodies and reflects the desires that she and her husband share.

"The OLINT Foundation is committed to the improvement of the lives of all Jamaicans through contributions to health, education, community development and social development, with an emphasis on children with special needs, that is our mission statement," Mrs Smith said.

She explained that the foundation was formed due to the overwhelming requests for assistance that continue to pour into the OLINT office.
    "We thought it best to formalise our arrangement of giving through the establishment of this foundation," she said. "This way, we will have a dedicated team to seek out the most deserving and give them support."
    The OLINT Foundation board will be headed by Betty Gordon and will include Edith Smith, Rev Dave Spence, Dr Paul Gordon, Nicole McLaren, Mary Dixon, Paulette Kirkland and Francis Hill.

Guest speaker Michael Missick, premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands, said that the foundation had his and his government's support.
    "People matter, good people matter, and I am happy that this foundation has been established," said Missick. "We appreciate the efforts of David and Tracy and how greatly they have contributed to the economy of Turks and Caicos in the short time they have been there. Jamaica's misfortune is indeed the good fortune of Turks and Caicos having gained these model citizens."

David Smith, in his address, spoke of the motivation for his philantrophy, saying that he was inspired by Joan Duncan, the founder of Jamaica Money Market Brokers, where he worked for 10 years.
    "Joan Duncan had a great impact on me, she always used to say the people we serve are most important and we must help them," said Smith. "I want to continue that dream of Joan Duncan.

"In five years, OLINT has positively impacted the lives of so many people, and I want to say thanks for believing in David Smith and sticking by OLINT," Smith added.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

May God continue to shower blessing on you.

We, children of a LESSOR God depend on you to make us rich.

NCB and Scotiabank sure ain't gonna do it. Both report over US$90 Million profits last year doh...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
      NCB and Scotiabank sure ain't gonna do it. Both report over US$90 Million profits last year doh...
      Yuh too ra$# lie!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

???

What did I lie about ?

Comment

A.J... yuh def or what ?

Which 'lie' yuh ah chat bout now ?

Comment

If dem mek suh much money why dem mek dese schemes have dem in a tizzy?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              If dem mek suh much money why dem mek dese schemes have dem in a tizzy?
              MO. NCB's net profit for the 4th Q 2006 was $1.5 billion.

Comment

"schemes"???
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Jamaican dollars doh. HL mek dat in one month a Atlanta.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuh suh dem call dem?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ok.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No wonder mi can't see him.

A hope him memba him old friends

Comment

People do not GIVE up Power..

They aspire for MORE..

Comment

Working...
                          X