After reading bout Herb McKenley I have to ask who is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After reading bout Herb McKenley I have to ask who is

Jamaica's greatest athlete ever male of female ?

Herb, Quarrie, Ottey, Tappa, Bibi, Asafa, Holding, Walsh, Headly, Rowe etc;

We have produced so many good ones.

I vote Herb given the era he was in and what he accomplished.

Jawge and Karl see I included Tappa I not so bad after all hehehehe

not only that he was a pioneer...may of who came later owed their exposure to herb.....why yuh think boys champs attract so many ncaa coaches? the tradition!

it all began with herb.

our most accomplished athlete from the list you gave herb followed by quarrie....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Herb, Quarrie and Ottey
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

How u so partial to the T&F people dem so

Walsh did more than Ottey

Arite Mdmx no boda kill me now me jus mess wid u.

Comment

head to head ottey prbbaly win more sportswoman of the year than walsh win sportsman of the year...sickko is that true?

secondly where sports are concerned t7f put us on the map and has kept us there.

walsh is a close 5th behind headley.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It is not even close.

Merlene Ottey is the Greatest Track Athlete in History.. period.

Is two drug addict cloud the issue in the 'books'.. one dead early and one 'juss dead'.

Unnastan unnuhself:

http://www.jakobweb.dk/ottey/web/jmno-medals.htm

28 World Championship and Olympic Medals

14 World Championship appearances (outdoor)
            8 Olympic Appearances
            6 World Championship appearances (indoor)

Unnuh fi Bow down and stap ask tupid question.
            Last edited by Muadib; December 3, 2007, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              it all began with herb.
              Skippy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh done know....whey pepsi deh?

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                  It is not even close.

Merlene Ottey is the Greatest Track Athlete in History.. period.

Is two drug addict cloud the issue in the 'books'.. one dead early and one 'juss dead'.

Unnastan unnuhself:

http://www.jakobweb.dk/ottey/web/jmno-medals.htm

28 World Championship and Olympic Medals

14 World Championship appearances (outdoor)
                  8 Olympic Appearances
                  6 World Championship appearances (indoor)

Unnuh fi Bow down and stap ask tupid question.
                  But the question is athlete not one specific sport, so is she the greatest ever or just track ?

Comment

Merlene Ottey run sub 11 seconds 67 TIMES and Sub 22 seconds 16 times in her glorious Career.

Nuh space in yah suh fi chat bout...

Comment

But mi nuh unnastan.. nuh track wi dominate innah ?

Greatest Evah dat fi represent Jamaica.

Comment

I definitely have to go with Merlene.

Herb was great and set a foundation for many and influenced many, but Merlene is the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
                          Jamaica's greatest athlete ever male of female ?

Herb, Quarrie, Ottey, Tappa, Bibi, Asafa, Holding, Walsh, Headly, Rowe etc;

We have produced so many good ones.

I vote Herb given the era he was in and what he accomplished.

Jawge and Karl see I included Tappa I not so bad after all hehehehe
                          Great and sent our name into every corner of the World?

What is not in doubt is they kept the light focused on likle talawah Jamaica through the ages.

George "Atlas" Headley...then Herb Mac...then the others. The thing about all this is - George "Atlas" Headley played a sport where his fame was mainly known in lands where there were "British footprints"....and, so it is for Rowe, Holding, Walsh...but, Herb Mac was and still is a household name...then there was Merlene Ottey...

...but, where do you put those who were on stage of the world's most watched major sport - FOOTBALL?! ...considering they all were mere minor stars?!

For me Herb Mac...then Merlene did the most for us! ...there is however, a young man who has set and or equalled the World 100M record on at least 3 occasions - Asafa Powell...who could overtake both Herb Mac and Merlene!
                          Last edited by Karl; December 3, 2007, 03:08 PM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            Great and sent our name into every corner of the World?

What is not in doubt is they kept the light focused on likle talawah Jamaica through the ages.

George "Atlas" Headley...then Herb Mac...then the others. The thing about all this is - George "Atlas" Headley played a sport where his fame was mainly known in lands where there were "British footprints"....and, so it is for Rowe, Holding, Walsh...but, Herb Mac was and still is a household name...then there was Merlene Ottey...

...but, where do you put those who were on stage of the world's most watched major sport - FOOTBALL?! ...considering they all were mere minor stars?!

For me Herb Mac...then Merlene did the most for us! ...there is however, a young man who has set and or equalled the World 100M record on at least 3 occasions - Asafa Powell...who could overtake both!
                            ok then......so what's your answer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
                              ok then......so what's your answer ?
                              Herb Mac!
                              ...with Merlene a close 2nd!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X