• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Becca: McKenley - a truly great Jamaican

McKenley - a truly great Jamaican
    published: Sunday | December 2, 2007

Tony Becca - FROM THE BOUNDARY
    ON MONDAY evening, I was in my bedroom watching one of my favourite western movies when my wife shouted to me from the sitting room: "Tony, Tony, Herb McKenley is dead".

"What?" I shouted back.

"Herb McKenley is dead. It just came on the news," she replied.

A lump rose in my throat, goose pimples covered my skin and I closed my eyes for a few moments.

Herb had been ailing for some time so obviously it was not a surprise. It was, nevertheless, a shock he was ill for some time, McKenley was one of those men who were so great you almost believed he could never die and that he would live forever.

The greatest
    As an athlete, a track and field athlete, he was the greatest this country has ever produced. As a sportsman, he was, along with cricketer George Headley, numbered among the two greatest this country has ever produced. As far as the whole wide world is concerned, he is, all things considered, from the 100 metres to the 400m, arguably the greatest sprinter of all time.

In winning a silver medal in the 100m at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952, in winning silver medals in the 400m at both the London Olympics in 1948 and the Helsinki Olympics, Herb, who lost the short sprint in a controversial photo-finish to American Lindy Remigino and the one-lap events in two surprise results to countrymen Arthur Wint and George Rhoden, never won an individual gold medal at the Olympic Games.

However, in becoming the first man to run the 400m under 46 seconds, in breaking the world record for the 440 yards and the 400m on a number of occasions, in becoming the only man in the history of the Olympic Games to reach the finals of the 100, 200 and the 400m, and after finishing in fourth position in the 200 in London, after also becoming the only man in the history of the Games to win medals in both the 100 and the 400, McKenley, who won a gold medal in Jamaica's world record-breaking run in the 4x400m relay in Helsinki, left behind a record almost second to none - and especially so after his magnificent run in that relay.

After losing the 400 race once again, after failing to deliver twice in his pet event, after that one black mark on his illustrious career and left with one last chance to win a gold medal at the Olympic Games, McKenley, grabbing the baton on the third leg from Les Laing 15 metres behind Charlie Moore of the U.S. ran the race of his life and, after clocking an amazing, an unbelievable 44.6 seconds, handed Rhoden the baton one stride ahead of Mal Whitfield. The rest is history.

That golden run, in a word record 3:03.9 on Sunday, July 27, is best appreciated when it is remembered that Wint clocked 46.8, Laing 47.00, Rhoden 45.5, and that Moore, the man who McKenley chased and caught in the race of his life, was going great guns at 46.3.

To me, however, McKenley's greatness went beyond the track. Very few who were so great in the arena contributed so much away from it as McKenley did as a coach to Calabar High School and to Jamaica.

As a motivator to Jamaican athletes from all walks of life and as an administrator in Jamaica and while serving the International Association of Athletics Federations, McKenley was one of a kind - the kind who inspired others to greatness, who opened the doors of opportunity to others so that they may also achieve, and who gave of his time and his money to those in need.

I will never ever forget that rainy night at the airport in Canton, China, in 1973 when, with the Jamaica table tennis team stuck because of the weather, the Chinese liaison officer for the Jamaica team came to me and started asking questions about Jamaica.

He asked every question possible before asking me where did table tennis, as a sport, rank in Jamaica? I ticked them off as cricket first - in those days - followed by football, and by the time I had finished saying track and field, the little Chinese man shouted, "Ah, McKenley, Wint, Helsinki, 1952."

This was the man who did not know where in the world Jamaica was located, did not know whether Jamaica was hot or cold and did not know who the prime minister of Jamaica was.

I will also never forget that day some five or six years ago, when, after the Rotary Club of Kingston had made a presentation to McKenley at one of its regular monthly luncheons at a New Kingston hotel, when, after the president of the club had asked for friends of the members to stand and be introduced, a visitor got up and introduced himself. The visitor was uninvited.

Memories
    According to him, he was from Finland, he was at the stadium in Helsinki in 1952 when McKenley ran that memorable relay leg, he had vowed on that day that one day he would visit the land of McKenley the land that produced McKenley - he had finally made it.

He was at the luncheon because he read in the newspapers that morning that McKenley was being honoured at a luncheon and he decided to buy a ticket and, after all the years, say thank you to the man who ran the greatest race he had ever seen.

To the Honourable Herbert McKenley, O.J., O.M., thank you for all the memories, for your unforgettable contribution (on and off the track) to Jamaica's greatness in the field of sports, and for your assistance in the development of so many Jamaicans, on and off the track.
    You will be remembered as a truly great Jamaican.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Loss of a great son

Loss of a great son
    published: Sunday | December 2, 2007

Orville Taylor

You might think that this column is about the recent controversial acquittal in a prominent murder case. Perhaps! However, you will have to read on to see if that is so. Right now the stage belongs to Herb Mac, among the greatest sprinters ever and unquestionably the dean of modern Jamaican track adn field.

McKenley can easily be said to be Jamaica's answer to America's Jesse Owens. Owens, it will be remembered, humiliated Adolph Hitler at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, with quadruple gold medals in the 100 metres, 200 metres, long jump and the 4x100 metres relay. A much more versatile athlete, Herb's more colourful medals are three silver and one gold; but what a gold it was.

After a disappointing 400 metres silver in the 1948 London Olympics and again at the 1952 Helsinki games, he ran the 400-metre relay leg of his life. Getting the baton some 15 metres behind Charlie Moore, the winner of the 400 metres hurdles, he kept his composure and whittled away the lead until he passed him as if he were an incumbent police deputy commissioner awaiting promotion.

Relay runners know that 400- metre hurdlers are strong, fearsome and extremely difficult to catch or outrun on relay legs. For example, in the 1991 World Championships, Britain's 400m hurdles winner, Kriss Akabusi, ran around the flat 400 metres champion, Antonio Pettigrew, for gold. In the women's race, Briton, Sally Gunnell, the 400m hurdles gold medallist, broke Jamaica's heart, eclipsing Sandie Richards to steal bronze.

decisive factor
    In Helsinki, Herb was the decisive factor as he gave his anchor runner, George Rhoden, a two-metre lead, which he kept to deliver gold, beating the Americans in a world record 3:03.9. Only 20 national teams have run faster than this in 2007, even with Mondo tracks, high-tech spikes, better training equipment and methods and 'supplements'. It is faster than Nigeria, Brazil, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Italy and Zimbabwe have run this year.

More astounding was his split time on the relay leg, an amazing 44.6, still unattainable by some of our current top 400-metre runners. This was 1.3 seconds faster than his world record of 45.9. Compare this to Michael Johnson's 42.92 leg in 1993, which, though scintillating, was only 0.35 second faster than Butch Reynolds' then world record of 43.29 and just 0.24 second beyond his subsequent record of 43.18.

He is unlike Reynolds, Johnson and a slew of 'clean' American athletes, commonly believed to have touched the 'cushumpeng' named 'Herb,' this country boy from Pleasant Valley in Clarendon maybe only used, cerassee, sarsaparilla, strong back, Irish moss and linseed.

A Calabar all-rounder, it is recorded in the Chronicles of Rabalac that he represented his school in football and cricket as well as track and field. He still is the only person to reach the Olympic finals of the 100, 200 and 400 metres. Like Merlene Ottey later, he lost the 100 metres race to an American the photos don't appear to vindicate that result.

best attended games
    Nevertheless, it is off the track that his impact has been most felt. Almost all Jamaican athletes, since Independence, have experienced his influence. Through his energy, the annual high school championships have become the best-attended games in the hemisphere. Hundreds of athletes have gained scholarships to American colleges, with many moving on to Olympic and professional glory. New scientific approaches to training have led to us being the global sprint capital and our athletes are learning to relax under pressure.

True, Asafa recently suffered from the same 'butt-lockitis' that cost McKenley his gold in 1948, when he tightened up, but he is learning to emulate Herb on the relay leg. After all, Asafa is better endowed to produce a more impressive third leg in the shorter race.

Still no hero is perfect and Herb is reputed to have overzealously pushed a number of young athletes too far and too hard in trying to make Calabar win Champs. A few, but still too many, have shone only at Champs and disappeared into oblivion. Some suffered avoidable injuries as under-15 athletes, never to complete their promised athletic lives. It is always a tragedy when young careers are cut short.

This is what happened at Jamaica College, Calabar's perpetual nemesis, on the same day that Herb died. Two lives were destroyed; that of 17-year-old Mortiman Golding, stabbed to death by his schoolmate over a silly dispute sparked by a firecracker. The second is that of the killer, who, from all accounts, might have been provoked. Perhaps the youngster will be convicted of the capital charge, maybe not. Whichever way, it is a tragedy.

exonerated
    Interestingly, the same day young Golding died, Rodney Beckles, son of a senior University of the West Indies (UWI) academic, was exonerated from murdering Khalil Campbell, son of High Court Justice Lennox Campbell. Like McKenley's adjudged loss to Lindy Remigino, the verdict was unpopular as Beckles is bigger and Campbell's body had 19 stab wounds, including some defensive ones. There are also allegations of class bias. Yet, a judge is also very high-class. Therefore, if there were any injustice, it would have to be linked to other factors.

Nevertheless, this is not unusual, given the vagaries of the justice system we have adopted. Many persons convicted by the public have been exonerated by courts. These include; Reneto Adams, who 'Kraaled' free, and O.J. Simpson, who the glove did not fit.

Whatever the popular sentiments, there is no winner here, because sons are lost. Furthermore, we have simply got too accustomed to homicides. Imagine, two policemen and more than a dozen in two days.
    Dr. Orville Taylor is senior lecturer in the Department of Sociology, Psychology and Social Work at the University of the West Indies, Mona.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Truly a loss to a great son of the soil. This should be moved to the "Jamaica" forum I think.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Working...
      X